Strings

Geo

Reaction score
Have any of you LTGers tried the "Martin Titanium Core Nickel Acoustic Guitar Strings"??? I wish I hadn't!! They're frickin' great!! $40.00 per set. I wouldn't miss what I've never had but it's too late for me. Save yourself!!! I'm warning you,,,,, don't buy them. You might end up doing unthinkable things to pay for them. I need an intervention.

Geo

Geo

Reaction score
They are good Tom. It's a love/hate thing. I love the strings but hate the price!

Geo

F312

Reaction score
I ordered a set, I shall see/hear/feel.Ralph

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ralph, nice veer into The Who's "Tommy":

"See me, feel me, touch me, heal me"...

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
$40? no, I just can't. I have heard mostly negative reviews of them so good to hear you like them Geo.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I won't pay $40.00 for strings.
I was interested in the Monel sets that Martin sell so I did give them a try.
I like them a lot but I still like the Martin Lifespan strings a bit more on my D-55.
However I do prefer the Monel strings on my Martin D-35.
Monel strings are less than $7.00 a set.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I won't pay $40.00 for strings.
I was interested in the Monel sets that Martin sell so I did give them a try.
I like them a lot but I still like the Martin Lifespan strings a bit more on my D-55.
However I do prefer the Monel strings on my Martin D-35.
Monel strings are less than $7.00 a set.

light or medium gauge on the monels?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning, Geo!! That's all I need is a new, expensive habit!! Sheesh!! They're good huh???

Hmmm... I think I see a need for some cross-thread pollination here:

these days I'm on a crusade to raise awareness about the hazards of using dirty old unsanitary guitar strings:

Electric-Guitar-String.-Hitachi-2460N-AccVolt-12kV-mag-80x.jpg

Closeup of the little "groove gliders" on the above string:
things-under-microscope-36.jpg

Terminal groove glider infestation:
maxresdefault.jpg

Twisted Sister only changed their strings about as often as they changed their underwear, and where are they now?

You change your underwear every day, right?
Why not your strings?

swiveltung

Reaction score
I change strings often, so I'm unwilling to spend much. I just buy in bulk. Regardless of how great a string sounds when new, it will deteriorate fast. However, if those micro pictures of dirty strings bother you, definitely dont look at your eyelashes with a microscope!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, I checked Juststings.com, where I've bought all of mine for many years for their normally discounted rate. Sure enough......$39.95! Who knows though, I might give them a try one day.

West

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
light or medium gauge on the monels?

I normaly use medium gauge strings on my Dreds and lights on my OM.
I also use medium sets on my fretted resonator.
However- I just got 6 sets of Tony Rice gauge Monels and have just started using them.
They may be my new gauge of choice.I don't hear any loss of tone or volume and the tension is less.

Rampix

Reaction score
I'm using the Martin Retros on my maple F40 and it has never sounded better! For years I thought PB-13's brought out the best in it, but the Retros took it up another step.

$40 a set for the Monels...maybe I'll try them, but I'm pretty cheap so maybe not???

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm using the Martin Retros on my maple F40 and it has never sounded better! For years I thought PB-13's brought out the best in it, but the Retros took it up another step.

$40 a set for the Monels...maybe I'll try them, but I'm pretty cheap so maybe not???

you doing Monel lights are the tony rice mediums?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They may be my new gauge of choice.I don't hear any loss of tone or volume and the tension is less.

ah, so the Tony Rice monel mediums are medium gauge but easier on the fingers? different from the Juber monels as those are a light medium or hybrid. i thought the Rice Monels were true mediums. good to know. I hear the Monels are great sounding on D25 all hogs too, but the key is to let them break in after a few days. i tried the light gauge a couple times but the last time i tried i did not like them at all.

bert

Reaction score
Another Martin string option is the Flexible Core SP, light or med. Tommy Emmanuel uses the MFX740 Light gauge set, can't be all bad. I use the 12string version on my F112. But, they sound good on one guitar and no so good on the other in my experience. I've tried several different sets of the monels, not my thing. bert

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Elixer Nanoweb no dirty underwear allowed lol
So strings are all about tone what benifit to tone does titanium offer ? Weapon grade guitar strings , Have at yee ! Lol I’ve heard of them till now that I remember so off it investigate .

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
if only Elixirs did not shed coating at the soundhole. it just looks disgusting and this dude cannot abide.

Rampix

Reaction score
Wood, I'm using the MM13 which are 13/56. For info, I tune a full step down (D-d) for vocal reasons. I first tried them on a rosewood/sitka dread and didn't like them at all. I took them off after a week and on a lark but them on my Guild. They sounded so good I replaced that set with a new set a month later and have never looked back. They took an already great tone to a new level.