F40 Lovers Unite!!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Holy smoke. Ditto that!!!!! What year is that beauty, gj??? Have you shown it before? My gosh, I'm drooling.

'61. Thought I did a NGD post when it arrived a couple of years ago, but I can't find one so I may not have.

Really sweet guitar, and I am forever indebted to Mike for sending her my way.

Reaction score
I have one from 1956, I wonder when the first one was made? It needs work, ha ha, but getting there...

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have one from 1956, I wonder when the first one was made? It needs work, ha ha, but getting there...

I see a first post. Welcome and stick around - nice bunch of folks around here.

According the "bible" - Hans Moust's The Guild Guitar Book, The F-40 Valencia was introduced in 1954.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yah welcome aboard, Sommy!
See you got your answer below, but, "Be still my heart!"
:biggrin-new:
Keep us posted with pics when she's finished, please!

Sal

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum Sommy! We'd love to see pictures of your F40. I've never seen production numbers so this is just my observation but early F40s are fairly rare, maybe only surpassed in rarity by surviving M30s. At least among among the Guild flat tops. Cheers!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great looking guitars . 😊

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice Al!!! I sure hope some time in the future we will see a NGD post from you sir!!!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
And as I've wryly observed before, as long as they don't, I don't have to worry about the price.
:glee:

You are correct sir.. I think your "all bought new" stable would be well complimented by this model.. And after all, 4 is better than 3... Just like 5 is better than 4 and so on..

jcwu

Reaction score
You are correct sir.. I think your "all bought new" stable would be well complimented by this model.. And after all, 4 is better than 3... Just like 5 is better than 4 and so on..

Here, I'll generalize that one with this equation:

x + 1 > x

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here, I'll generalize that one with this equation:

x + 1 > x
:smile:
There is also that storage capacity issue; those are the closet doors behind me in my avatar.
That's where the guitars live when not out for playing, standing on end, handles out for easy grabbing, but there's no more room in there.
I suppose if the new one delighted me enough that I'd figure something out (sell the 20w Crate that's in there too?).
Oh yeah before I forget (again), Happy New Year!

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Took my ‘74 F-40 out for a spin last night & as always, very satisfying!

Bernie

Reaction score
Pretty outstanding fretboard markers ! And interesting to observe the origin of what is now called the Chesterfield logo if I get it right (?)
But the guitar seems to be sold already (was Al the one to get it ?). :smile-new:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The guy offered it to me for $400 shipped but there was just too much to take care of on that one, unless you could do the work yourself.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey richard, can you tab over your guitar list so it's not so long? Just wondering.... other's have. I mean I'm so impressed and not being a DICK or anything but.... it's a long scroll...... maybe it's envy and maybe it's something else....

OH WAIT!! I remember why I'm here.... I'd love a maple F40 (I don't get the nomenclature because what's the diff between F40 or F30?? I don't understand ANY if it!!) so if they came out with one, kinda like Al says, with a medium or even deep guitar, with a short scale and also a Venitian cutaway!! I love those! Guild did it so good!! And the Forentines are nice too, but .... you know for someone who plays up higher on the neck how do I get all these guitars that are NOT cutaway, and..... oh jeeze. Guild, F40 (if that means smaller body style like concert or orchestra, or sympatico or what the fu..) with either Sitka, or even better Adirondak top, and maple sides and back and .... arched or flat.... with some super nice appointments, n'kay? And a short scale would be good. Wait, has anyone ever done a 12 fretter (short scale, of course), with a cutaway?? Okay I'm going to sleep now.... and dream of Star Trek which can replicate the guitar of my dreams.....

But of course, replicated stuff is never as good as the real thing.

Right?

:applouse:

Bernie

Reaction score
The guy offered it to me for $400 shipped but there was just too much to take care of on that one, unless you could do the work yourself.
Yes don't blame you, there's a lot to do on that one...
Would be great for someone who can do it by himself (herself) though ; that's right too...