Does more bling mean better tone wood

beecee

Reaction score
one of my favorite "show me" threads was fat bottom girls!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ray... that's a good point. After they have routed the neck blank to make a slot for the truss rod, there's not much material left for strengthening the neck. Here's a good looking five piece neck with the dark stain removed the old fashioned way!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Guild...924980?hash=item3d56d6d574:g:PfgAAOSwcN1aY5Sg

Yup looks good . My ibenaz MS400 has 7 pc neck.

I guess looks is a factor but in my next statement , if laminating was truly needed I would have just laminated the Mahogany necks the old fashion way by gluing strips and alternating the grain and there ya have it . 😁

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's the back of the Collings Ray. Very tight rosewood grain. I don't know if that's a bad or a good thing, but it's different from the rosewood used on most Guilds.

4yrj11H.jpg

West

My blue ,
TFUmlJp.jpg
[/IMG]

I think were thread drifting to much LOL

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
And there you have it, the difference I was talking about. Thanks for the rosewood back shot Ray....a beautiful back on that one. As I've said, all of my rosewood Guild guitars have sort of had a wide grained striped back and sides, the Collings has a much tighter grain. Again, I don't know enough about wood grain to tell you if tight grain is desirable, I would think the bump/thump test would probably be more predictive, but the fact remains that for whatever reason, Collings uses a rosewood that looks a bit different than many guitar builders. I don't see this conversation as a veer, but as directly related to "wood selection".

West

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For some reason my Rosewood looks different than the ones you all posted photos of.

oxPIPG.jpg
Mk9BqO.jpg

TX

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
So much for the tight grain theory.��

Ralph

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
There's something wrong with your rosewood Tx, it has dark squiggly lines running all through it. See, I know my rosewood! And F312, I certainly don't have a rosewood theory, but I can see when they differ. I wouldn't have a clue what tight grain, loose grain, no grain.......what any of it really means. It does seem like I once read an article that talked about Brazilian being "dense", maybe density fits into the sonic equation somehow.

West

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I just find the conversation interesting Ralph, and am trying to learn. The problem is that I seem to get more confused as I read. I've just finished a couple of articles that state that Indian and Brazilian rosewood have roughly the same density, so that blows that theory.

: ) West

It's all good.

Ralph

F312

Reaction score
I just find the conversation interesting Ralph, and am trying to learn. The problem is that I seem to get more confused as I read. I've just finished a couple of articles that state that Indian and Brazilian rosewood have roughly the same density, so that blows that theory.

: ) West

I'm also interested in the differences and similarities in Rosewood types and by all means still learning. It's always said that Brazilian Rosewood is best but then you wonder if Indian Rosewood was near extinction it would be the other way around.

Ralph

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
And not only that, but as what we considered to have been the "best" side/back woods are depleted or in short supply, manufacturers, especially Taylor and Martin seem to always be able to find substitute woods I'd never heard of, and how they compare sonically. Cocobolo, sapele, wenge, ovangkol??? Makes your head swim. I'm old enough to remember when you had 3 choices....maple, mahogany and rosewood.

West

I'm also interested in the differences and similarities in Rosewood types and by all means still learning. It's always said that Brazilian Rosewood is best but then you wonder if Indian Rosewood was near extinction it would be the other way around.

Ralph

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
both Taylor and Gibson are now using rosewood grown in North America. This may add to some of the grain pattern and color variations seen. its real rosewood, transplanted from other continent(s). remember with climate change, in parts of southern USA and Mexico, certain species can thrive there now, that nobody ever gave any thought to previously (it was just easier to import it for a long time).

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wouldn't the way the log is cut affect the grain pattern too? Plain sawn looks much different than quarter sawn.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
As well as the part of the tree it's taken from...stump wood for example...you can get some lovely unique figuring using wood that used to be rejected as inferior.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Ralph

Brazilian has more pronounced lows and more shimmer in the highs IRW conspired has a warmer tone more mid balanced .

My next guitar just might end being Brazilian with all the mentions of not knowing what I want or thing I want lol I keep going back to the offer made to me of Brazil also named crack wood lol

Thing is there are differences but unless ones ears are trained to hear them most might not notice me included .

I can tell you African black wood is awesome and a great runner up to Brazilian . On another note Tom Doerr build all his guitars with Brazilian unless you ask for something other don’t ask me where gets it lol unless I read it wrong .
I’ll have one , one day 😁
http://doerrguitars.com/

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And there you have it, the difference I was talking about. Thanks for the rosewood back shot Ray....a beautiful back on that one. As I've said, all of my rosewood Guild guitars have sort of had a wide grained striped back and sides, the Collings has a much tighter grain. Again, I don't know enough about wood grain to tell you if tight grain is desirable, I would think the bump/thump test would probably be more predictive, but the fact remains that for whatever reason, Collings uses a rosewood that looks a bit different than many guitar builders. I don't see this conversation as a veer, but as directly related to "wood selection".

West

I would venture to say the tighter grain is old stock Vrs new growth .

I’m a sucker for character and in my head I believe it can add to the tone at least the guitars I tried sounded pretty good that way.

Tipght grain in a way was the standard top grade woods and esthetically desired , in the old days there was plenty of old trees lol

My top on that blueridge is Adirondack wide grain but folks prefer the old tight grain . Best discussion on the topic of tone between the two come up stale mate . It carries the same strength and weight .
Either way she’s my baby and sounds great !

That could be why Collins prefers It , also maybe it’s more consistently tap tone desirable. Total guess there but makes sense ! I’m gunna check out Collins pics 😁

Well that didn’t take long Collins has some guitars that have wide grain to , google Collins go to images and take a look around .

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
COLLINGS? With a G in it? Is that who you're talking about? His name was Bill COLLINGS........

Or are you talking about a different builder??