I May Need To Unretire

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Perhaps I need to find something meaningful in my life. It's snowing like hell here today so I mixed me up a Jack and Coke and started looking through vintage Gibson listings on Reverb.

I came across one where the name of the sellers Store is:

J. Ashley Sipes Fine Stringed Instruments and Muffler Repair

For some reason that just struck me as funny. He only has a few reviews but they are all 5 star positive so it's likely all good. I'm not sure I'd tie in Muffler Repair with my Instrument Inventory/sales, but then again, what the hell do I know?

Back to Jack

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
He might have a Picasso in his gear---or he may be a Picasso. As a fellow retiree, I find some of my most enjoyable times are spent around folks like J Ashley Sipes.
The very fellow who suggested Guild guitars to me had 4 or 5 Martins (00-18, D18, D28, D28HV) and a Gibson 1957 J45 in his delapidated tire repair shop. Said he "just played a tune or two" when business was slow. You could tell slow was his favorite day. You just never know.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
From where I sit.....you should stay retired. I've been on/off the phone all day in a manic mess of human incompetence. A jack/coke, snow storm, and reverb listings sound awfully good to me today....or hell....any day. Now the guitar dealer/muffler repair-man....lol. Well....he got some free advertisement here today. Perhaps his Reverb store name is tongue-in-cheek. I appreciate the laugh.

My dad is 78 and still works (for himself). I used to encourage him to retire/travel etc. but realized that he lives to work...and works to live. I no longer offer him anything but encouragement for him to do precisely as he wishes. His mother (my grandmother) passed away a few days ago at the ripe age of 99. She broke her hip on Wednesday night and passed away on Saturday. I've figured that my grandmother and father need(ed) no advice from me...quite the inverse.

No somber condolences necessary. She out-lived her good years and was enduring a couple of mostly bad years. After the hip break...she passed on quickly and thankfully...as she was lost in the pain of it. 99 is a good run.

So as you sit in that snow storm sipping whiskey....enjoy it ...enjoy it...enjoy it. I'm still racing around with the other rats. Hmmm....boy I sure could use a new guitar and a quieter muffler....what to do?....I just don't have the time for both.....and ZAMMO....you found me a guitar sellin' muffler repair guy! Only in 'Merica.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....boy I sure could use a new guitar and a quieter muffler....what to do?....I just don't have the time for both.....and ZAMMO....you found me a guitar sellin' muffler repair guy! Only in 'Merica.
Could I interest you in a combination Frogurt/Bait Shop franchise: "Frog'n'Frog" ?

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reminds me of the old Bob Newhart standup skit about the "Mrs. Grace L. Ferguson Airline And Storm Door Company." LOL

PS - stay retired.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
My dad had always joked about retiring and buying a bait shop. He doesn't fish.... and he doesn't want to deal with bait. He just wants a chair and a shelf to place his feet.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My dad had always joked about retiring and buying a bait shop. He doesn't fish.... and he doesn't want to deal with bait. He just wants a chair and a shelf to place his feet.

Talk about a veer (sorry about that) but that reminds me of a small shop in the Michigan UP. They advertised they sold, worms, minnows and chocolate fudge. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Talk about a veer (sorry about that) but that reminds me of a small shop in the Michigan UP. They advertised they sold, worms, minnows and chocolate fudge. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might be surprised at what you can catch with chocolate fudge.
:tongue-new:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Ya....i lured my wife with chocolate fudge. The stuff really works.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'd be afraid that a guitar bought through them might have somewhat of a "muffled" tone.

West

Neal

Reaction score
A friend of mine posted a photo of him standing in front of a guitar shop/crematorium in Florida a few days ago.