My first Guild; tell your story here..

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Al:
You wrote it, perfectly, fine and rereading your comments a couple days later I realized what you meant--another "duh" moment for me.
Going to check out an unidentified Guild here in Dickson this week. Knowing the fellow who brought it to my attention, my guess is it will be old. And what if it is a "hog" body--there goes a couple more telegraph keys.

Alan_M

Reaction score
A friend and former band mate had a new band going and asked me to join as the rhythm gitter. I hadn't been much active over the previous decade due to focus on the drums and, well, life. Anyway, I needed a better electric than I had, a cheap mexican strat I kept around for noodling. So we went to the local GC and looked for an affordable but quality guitar. This was around 1996 I think. There was a brand new S-100 reissue, in black, with hard case, for 700 bucks OTD. SOLD!!!!! Shortly thereafter, I went to the same GC looking for an acoustic, again with nothing specific in mind, and there was a brand new all natural maple D-30. Gorgeous, and sounded incredible. SOLD!!! Amazing that I could find 2 Guilds at the same GC that were both superb. I have neither of these guitars anymore, sadly. I sold both during desperate times. But they have been replaced ;-) and I'm happy again!

Last edited:

fuman

Reaction score
I bought a 1967 Starfire XII at Buckell Music on Liberty Avenue in Pittsburgh, 1980. It wasn't a practical choice at all. I almost bought a D-35 instead. Caught the Guild bug from an RA in my dorm who had an F-412.

My Starfire was emerald green and sounded magical. The playability was superb, with nice low action and great string spacing. You couldn't really play lead or traditional rock guitar on it, but I learned to play some slide to overcome that. The tone from the pickups was phenomenal. I had a Fender Vibro Champ and the Starfire through that amp, dimed, absolutely killed. Eventually I sold it during the new wave craze so I could buy something else. I have played other electric 12's and have never found one I liked that much.

justforfun

Reaction score
Six years ago, I walked through my living room to find my 1971 Aria laying on the floor with the headstock snapped off. I'd had the guitar since new and it was the only acoustic I had ever owned. I still have the pieces. Either my daughters or their children had accidently knocked the guitar over and ended it. I walked out of my back door and four blocks to the corner music store in our small town. It was replacement time. I checked all the acoustics out hanging on the wall, surrounded by a herd of Telecasters and Stratocasters. They had Yamahas, Seagulls, Epiphones and Guilds. I tried several and decided on an all mahogany Guild D125. In my younger days of playing electrics, everyone thought very highly of Guild acoustics. I got it home and played around with it and discovered the "made in China" label on the inside and was a bit disappointed.
Two months later, after a lot of online research I decided I wanted an american made Guild D30. I googled it, picked up the phone and called Norman's Rare Guitars. Talked to the manager who was from Ashtabula Ohio, they had a 1988 Westerly D30. He played it over the phone and I told him to ship it! It arrived and it was in perfect condition, not a scratch anywhere, played like a dream and sounded like one too. Now it has many friends!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I realize I had a rare model

The moral of the story is that sometimes it is better to be ignorant, and let your ears and hands decide. I got lucky...

walrus

Hello

Same story - not with guitar - but a pocket watch - i bought a pocket watch in MN and paid 50 USD - had it in my jeans little pocket for years and was happy how pretty it was - then years later discovering it is Philippe Patek , that left factory at May 22 1913 - unfortunately I got a bit scared and took it out of the pocket - now it lays on my desk - sadly enough I do not wind it every day anymore. . . .

Do we have upside down watermelon ?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hello

Same story - not with guitar - but a pocket watch - i bought a pocket watch in MN and paid 50 USD - had it in my jeans little pocket for years and was happy how pretty it was - then years later discovering it is Philippe Patek , that left factory at May 22 1913 - unfortunately I got a bit scared and took it out of the pocket - now it lays on my desk - sadly enough I do not wind it every day anymore. . . .

Do we have upside down watermelon ?
Along with Guild acoustics, I love railroad grade (keeps accurate time with face up, face down, face left, face right, stem up, stem down, stem left, stem right and open face lever set)antique pocket watches. Even though you don't carry the Patte any longer, I suggest you change the position it is sitting in on your desk every month or so. That way the tiny bit of oil will work its way to all parts.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My first Guild was Duane Eddy 400 1963 - I was third owner and knew the second owner ( obviously ) first owner and the music-store keeper, that had sold it to first owner... I do not remember how it came to my attention, while I was playing drums in my hometown band - but being a small hometown - https://www.vaasa.fi/ - we all knew each other more or less. That guitar had reputation of having bad neck. Anyway this DE 400 came to me about 1968 and the seller let me try it at home for a week - being the kind of guy I am now and was then I immediately noticed the neck had a bow - and I opened the TRC and figured out how to twist the nut without destroying the thread ( no social media those days - pun intended - watermelon ) - I managed to make the neck straight. That was a fine guitar - later I had the metal parts gold-plated - had to get new Guild-Bigsby while aluminum is very very difficult to galvanize.

That guitar was a sort of sideline in my musical career, while I had first German made Framus parlor-size acoustic, which I traded to Höfner 12-string, but grew interest to high-quality acoustic. I saw many nice guitars - can remember having Guild broschure while working in Switzerland - there was Guild Navarre - then eventually I ended in MN at 1975 and bought my F-50R - rest is history.

I sometimes regret selling my DE-400 - which I would not use anyway . . .
Wish I had not - but frankly - it probably gets played more now than in my custody - so it is all well.

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new member here. Greetings from mostly-sunny Florida. I've followed this forum for a bit and have enjoyed the friendly nature of the community.

After a number of years away from playing, I decided to get back into it and pulled out my old beach guitar, a lawsuit-era Takamine, to try things out. (My nicer guitar from earlier years of playing, a Yamaha FG-470SA, had been stolen during the dry spell.) Soon realizing that the Tak was going to limit me, I started shopping for better-playing acoustics, over a few months, finally settling last winter on a lightly-used Taylor with a friendly action and (to my ears) a nice, modern tone.

With the Taylor in hand, I loaned the Tak to my brother in law, who was interested in learning to play, as was his youngest daughter. On the way to drop it off, I stopped into a GC near the interstate to buy him some picks, and of course to make a ritual visit to the acoustic room to check out any small-bodied guitars that might be good for my niece. Another customer-- a gentleman just a few years my senior-- heard me noodling around and asked me, "So, you wanna hear the nicest guitar in here?" Well, of course. From an upper-wall display full of ~$3000 Taylors and Martins, he pulled down a rather worse-for-wear D-55 and started into some worthy bluegrass flatpicking, then struck a few long-ringing high notes to demonstrate the nice tone. He was right! I tried it out for a few minutes, impressed not only with its sound, but its versatility, responding welll to both sensitive fingerpicking and pretty aggressive strumming-- all with somewhat rusty, light-gauge strings. With my wallet still light from the Taylor purchase, I said, "You guys have a fine evening; I'd better get outa here."

Two days later, I'm still out of town and talking to my wife on the phone, telling her about the D-55 find and that if I'd found it first, I might have saved over $1,000 and come out ahead. A musician herself, without hesitating, she said, "Get it! We'll figure it out." So I did, and I haven't looked back, except to take it into my local guitar repair shop for evaluation-- as luck would have it, a certain shop in Merritt Island that I later learned was pretty familiar to you all in this forum-- where it got its bridge re-glued, some binding and a top chip or two repaired, and a set-up with D'Addario Nickel Bronze lights.

More recently, I picked up a JF-55 in nicer shape from another GC, and had Tom set it up similarly-- fixing a minor bridge crack along the way-- but with a hybrid medium/light set of strings for better dropped tuning tone. (I like fumbling around with David Wilcox tunes, and have also tried a few Martin Simpson arrangements but those are mostly over my head.) The Taylor still has its charms, but the D-55 is my go-to instrument. Life is good! I look forward to chatting with you all in the future.

--

1994 Guild D-55
1994 Guild JF-55
2015 Taylor 614ce
2008 Ibanez Classical
mid-'80s Palmer Strat copy -- my first guitar
1986 Takamine G330 -- pawn shop beater, on indefinite loan
1991 Yamaha FG-470SA -- stolen in 2002, hopefully in a good home by now
plus a few random ukes

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I got my first Guild back in about 1978.
I had been playing guitar for several years at the time.
I had a Tak 12 string at the time but never liked it's tone.

The search began for a better 12 string.
I went to several music stores looking for a good 12 string.
Ovation was the big thing in 12 strings then.
I tried several of them but still didn't hear what I was looking for.

Then I found a guy that was selling new guitars out of his home.
I went to see what he had and there it was.
A Guild D-12-25.
My guitar hero was John Denver and we all know that John was playing Guilds back then.

I was so happy to find a Guild to play.
The sound was just what I was looking for but the guitar was a lot more money than I could afford at the time.
About 6 months went by and I got a good income tax return that helped fund the purchase.
The guy still had the Guild so I bought it from him.
It didn't come with a case and the case was about $100.00 extra, so I just used an old chip board case for the first year
and got the Guild hard case about a year later.

That was my only guitar until 1981, when I added a Martin D-35 to the family.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
CocoaPicker:
Welcome and great story and hold on to your wife. You started out with one of Guild's best acoustics.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Two days later, I'm still out of town and talking to my wife on the phone, telling her about the D-55 find and that if I'd found it first, I might have saved over $1,000 and come out ahead. A musician herself, without hesitating, she said, "Get it! We'll figure it out."

Welcome aboard Cocoa!
No interest in the Taylor, but, ya wanna sell your wife?
:glee:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new member here. Greetings from mostly-sunny Florida.
Hiya and welcome neighbor! You're about an hour North of me.
Great D55 story... Tom is a treasure isn't he? (and so is your wife evidently as duly noted earlier)

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
My guitar hero was John Denver and we all know that John was playing Guilds back then.

Of course! Thanks for sharing that. I learned to play guitar because of John Denver. I was 10 and picking out “Leaving On a Jet Plane” on my dad’s baritone uke— sang a few JD songs in talent shows and such. I wasn’t brand-aware back then, but it’s only fitting that I’m playing a Guild now. Now if only I could practice enough to get as good as I thought I was back then.... ;-)

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
Stuball, adorshki, bluesypicky: I realized after posting that I was bragging more on my wife than the D-55. Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Yes, Tom is a good guy to know. I have my eye on his custom-built Tele, but that’ll have to wait a while. I was lucky enough to try out a nice old Guild archtop with a three-digit serial number that he had in his shop. That’ll have to wait longer. :)

Reaction score
Love this thread, great stories! So, my first Guild was supposed to be a Martin D-28 or D-35, but... In 1976 after playing drums for a number of years, I had gone back to school and changed my major from music to nursing (that's a different story). I found myself with a great set of Rogers & Ludwig drums that had been stacked up in their cases for a year and weren't likely to be played any time soon, and with an import acoustic that I was playing every day. Things were way out of balance so I sold the drum set and headed out to buy a really good acoustic, which I was sure would be a D-28 or perhaps a D-35. Went to Rick's Guitar Shop in Greenville, NC, a small but very well-stocked shop. They had 2 D-28s, a D-35 and a D-18, and I went back and forth among them for a couple of hours and wasn't as thrilled with any of them as I had expected. Rick kept saying, "I really think you should try this Guild D-50", and eventually I picked up the Guild and within 5 minutes I was smitten! I had that guitar until 2012 and added a number of other great guitars (acoustic and electric) over the years, including a Guild CCE-100, F30-CE and a JFG30-12.
In 2012 I decided to downsize from 18 guitars to 2 (one great electric and one great acoustic). I needed an acoustic that could be plugged in and was also great unplugged, and I just couldn't bring myself to have surgery done on my old D-50 to add electronics. So after much soul-searching, I sold the D-50 to a good home and bought a New Hartford F50-R with the DTAR Multisource. I've had no regrets at all - the F50-R is (for me) the finest and most versatile guitar I've ever touched, unplugged or amplified, played loud or soft, with picks or fingers. I'm a bit lanky, so the jumbo body is a great fit for me. And I'm spending more time playing and less time dusting, changing strings, etc. And I owe it all to Rick in Greenville back in 1976!

Smitch

Reaction score
I had my original Ventura acoustic that I had learned on and played for over ten years and finally had enough money for a quality guitar. I had every intention of buying a Martin or Taylor and it was just a question of which one. As I shopped around and played different models I stumbled upon a Westerly D55. I had no clue who Guild was or any of the backstory at this point but when I played that beast for the first time everything changed. My poor Yentura really had very little low-end tone so when I strummed open chords on the D 55, the low-end shook me to the bone and I bought it on the spot, 1999. That Guitar is still my prized possession amongst way too many guitars and began a love affair with Guild.

Reaction score
I just purchased my first Guild yesterday! I've been looking for years. I had a chance to pick one up in Edmonton three years ago and didn't. Been kicking myself ever since so I couldn't pass up the chance on this one.
The one I bought yesterday is a D-50. It was listed as a 1970 ( that was the year its owner bought it) but from the serial number (AL-442) I believe it is from 1967. It has a crack in the top and in 71 or 72 the headstock broke off and was repaired well enough that I wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't pointed it out. Its been sitting in a closet for years so I'm humidifying it right now to see how well the crack closes.
I got a good deal on it ($600 CDN, about $485 US) and I'm totally stoked to own it. I don't like to know if the sides and back are Brazilian or Indian Rosewood, so at some point I will post pictures.

Reaction score
Hi everyone , FNG here , bought my first GUILD and I wasn't even looking.
Went to a great music store in St. Louis , Music Folk, to get a setup on a Gibson Doves-in-Flight model I had recently acquired and as I waited for them to get an idea about how long that work would take I wondered around this great guitar honey hole looking" at all the guitars on the walll .....and there it was calling out to me a GUILD M20 made in California all mahogany OO size I took it down and strummed a little and I knew that little sweetie was coming home with me. It came with a great hard case with a humidifier incorporated into it , ingenious .
I love my Gibson and now this GUILD is a much appreciated addition to my stable . I can't put it down.