Comparing mid 70's F-312 to G-312.

Jerry1

Reaction score
I like to research Guild models on my wish list so I have some knowledge as I visit pawn shops, yard sales, etc. I'll admit I'm better at buying than at playing, but I love quality guitars including their history if I can reveal that. I've got a '76 G-312 on its way to me.
When I look at guitar descriptions on the Westerly Made web site and in other places, the sound volume, tone quality, etc describing the F-312 and the G-312 seem very similar.
I realize there are different body styles involved when discussing Guild 12 strings (jumbo, mini-jumbo and dreadnought) but what are the real life experiences with the different styles and models? And Im guessing the different woods will add more variables. And then different strings, different gauges, different different different, all contribute.
One final note/question. My playing is primarily alone or with a small group on a porch. I enjoy a more bass sounding 12 string and intend to explore open D tuning. Thoughts or recommendations on this, strings, etc.?
Thank you for any responses.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have lots of experience with all the Guild "F" 12 string sizes but little experience with the F-312. And I have a '78 G-312. I would say the dread has a more brash and in your face cowboy kind of sound while the Fs, though just as powerful, have a more refined sound.

D positions and tunings are great on 12 string! Just about every 12 stringerite I have ever known has spent lots of time in dropped D from very early on and a lot of us wind up there close to full-time because it's easier on the arthritis.

As for stringing, you may find something useful here:

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?146783-12-string-s-12-strings/page7

Last edited:

Jerry1

Reaction score
Thank you 12 string. Is it David?
After I briefly read through the link you provided, I was impressed. I look forward to reading that thread again when I have time to really absorb it. I was especially interested in the drawing of the Seeger guitar. My other 12 string is a Hohner HG912, part of Hohners Arbor series guitars from the late 70's. My 912 is very similar to the Seeger guitar right down to the maple bindings. And it's a wonderful sounding, quality guitar. I'll post a picture as soon as I can figure that part out.
And what an amazing collection of instruments you have. My G312 should be here on Monday, just in time for my 71st birthday. (My wife doesn't know what she bought me yet!)
Thank you again.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How do u like the G-312? did you buy the one on Reverb recently?

I also just got the same guitar. I made the mistake of putting 10s on instead of 9s, and need a string change to do a fair assessment. however, it never occured to me to de-tune a half step, or go to drop-D, so ill be giving that a shot for a while before i change strings.

here is a thead on mine

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...on-the-G312th-day-of-Christmas&highlight=g312

tell us more about yours!

Jerry1

Reaction score
The only thing to tell is that I returned it. No fault or problem with the seller, but after comparing the 312 to my Hohner 912, there was no comparison. The first thing I noticed was the weight difference; the Guild was much heavier. Sound wise they were about equal, and the Guild had some cosmetic condition issues that made me decide to return it. Again, the dealer (yes it was the one on Reverb) was honest and cooperative, but it just wasn't the guitar for me. The only downside to my experience was the $127 cost to ship it back via UPS.

I've now got my eye out for a F212xl. My cousin who winters in Arizona called me a while back to tell me there was an F212xl on their local Craig's List. I was away from home at the time and waited until I got home before I followed up on it. Asking price, $500!!!!!. Called the owner - older guy who had to tell me he bought it new and played it very little, but no, he just sold it. Almost made me cry, but most of us have similar stories. So, my search continues.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thanks for the update. I de-tuned mine a 1/2 step flat, and it made all the difference in the world. so far, so good. I am a little better, with every sesh.

mine is heavy, as well.

I thought of selling mine, and almost did. I just can't bring myself to sell it. aesthetically, it just looks so perfect to me, it makes me feel good just owning it and knowing I am playing a guitar this beautiful. This is more of a long haul guitar for me. i'll be happy I kept it, down the road. and in the short term, I am determined to learn how to make her sing.

i have had others, really nice, that i was on the fence about. in the past, that has ultimately meant goodbye...but not so fast for this bird.

Jerry1

Reaction score
I know what you mean when it comes to buying/selling. I have trouble spending big money on a guitar; I'd rather have a group of affordable instruments rather than one or two expensive ones. I like to switch between guitar, banjo, upright bass and just couldn't do that (or justify it in my mind) if they were all expensive models. But I do love and appreciate quality instruments, but I truly enjoy finding what I want in a lower priced instrument.

I'm still looking for another 12 string so I can experiment with alternate tunings. I like to leave a 6 string in open D and work on learning roots and slide style music. Keeps my mind active.

Thanks for the discussion. Enjoy your 312, it's a great guitar.

idealassets

Reaction score
I owned a 1966 F312 for 2 years. I loved the sound. It seemed a bit more dynamic than most dreadnaught 12 strings I have sound demo'd. However after putting more than $1500 into restoring my F312 I sold it to a new owner, who will not let it go. It needed a neck reset, neck re-finish, the cellulite headstock cover re-produced and replaced, and re-glue of some top bracing. The final luthier bill exceeded the original estimate.

If Cordoba were to begin making F312's again- that would be too good. I sound demo'd a rare Martin F40-12 string a short while ago, and it was a little disappointing in that to me it sounded just a bit muted for a 12 string. This is not right, since the rosewood should really project the sound. Any Guild F212 or F312 that I have played had what I considered to be great sound projection.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I owned a 1966 F312 for 2 years. I loved the sound. It seemed a bit more dynamic than most dreadnaught 12 strings I have sound demo'd. However after putting more than $1500 into restoring my F312 I sold it to a new owner, who will not let it go. It needed a neck reset, neck re-finish, the cellulite headstock cover re-produced and replaced, and re-glue of some top bracing. The final luthier bill exceeded the original estimate.

If Cordoba were to begin making F312's again- that would be too good. I sound demo'd a rare Martin F40-12 string a short while ago, and it was a little disappointing in that to me it sounded just a bit muted for a 12 string. This is not right, since the rosewood should really project the sound. Any Guild F212 or F312 that I have played had what I considered to be great sound projection.

but your F512 is much louder sounding right? I like the size of the F112, 212, 312, but the F512s are bigger boxes right?

idealassets

Reaction score
but your F512 is much louder sounding right? I like the size of the F112, 212, 312, but the F512s are bigger boxes right?
Its difficult to say that an F512 is merely louder than an F312. Consider that the guitar body of an F512 is about 1/2" larger than an F312 in all directions which equals 1" total larger, except only about 3/8" deeper depending on the year the guitar was made. The smaller body guitars could fit better into a folk music situation and the larger guitars probably provide a more full sound if playing with a larger size band, and of course amplification of the acoustic 12 string would help in a full band situation. Most likely just about any guitar will work in any situation depending on the player's taste in music.

Unfortunately the older smaller Guild guitars are not often available for sale in order to find out what most folks want to know about them. That's why I think Cordoba could sell a quantity of them if they were ever made.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

the G-312 might be louder than the F-512, or if not, it has to be very close. mine just explodes. the G-312 has to be louder than the F-312.

idealassets

Reaction score
the G-312 might be louder than the F-512, or if not, it has to be very close. mine just explodes. the G-312 has to be louder than the F-312.
Possibly so, I have played 2 F512's that were definitely lemons and possibly had a manufacturing problem. I returned one to the seller, and he claimed "it must have been damaged in shipping, because it rang out when he sent it to me". I played it side by side with my current F512 and with a luthier present, and it was only about 1/2 as loud. We both could not conclude what the cause was, but the luthier said "better send it back right away."

So to answer the question of "which guitar is louder?", it can depend upon a lot of variables.