Taylor’s new V class bracing.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just listened and I don’t know , Tom has a point . What I’m hearing from the samples is a guitar that has lost its soul there’s no warmth or color just the perfect clarity and balance and what ever else . To me it might as well be a Rainsong composite guitar they sound great too but it is what it is forever like a diamond , a hard A$$ rock . Lol

I know I’m not a Taylor fan to date but I keep an open mind . As said it will sit good in a mix , yeah because it has no soul ok that’s a stretch but it’s what I hear .

I’d say I’d go play one but GC locks guitars up now and playing it would the only way to really tell .

Tally hoe !!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/new-gear/taylor-builders-edition-k14ce/

Hello

I listened to this - and my humble opinion is, that the recording might lack some midrange - judging by the sound of the speech. I did some tweaking to get the speech right - naturally I never heard this guy before and so do not know his natural speech sound. But there are always fair assumptions after all these years as soundman. Anyway - after tweaking I listened again at the guitar part of the demo, and there was a definite improvement.

So in the end - I should have the guitar in my hands to evaluate.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/new-gear/taylor-builders-edition-k14ce/

Hello

I listened to this - and my humble opinion is, that the recording might lack some midrange - judging by the sound of the speech. I did some tweaking to get the speech right - naturally I never heard this guy before and so do not know his natural speech sound. But there are always fair assumptions after all these years as soundman. Anyway - after tweaking I listened again at the guitar part of the demo, and there was a definite improvement.

So in the end - I should have the guitar in my hands to evaluate.

heres he is again for your audio pleasure :)

Reaction score
I haven't had the time to read this entire thread, but I did play a V-braced Taylor guitar last night at a road show event. You can really hear the difference when playing complex chords at the 12th fret, 14th fret, etc. on the V-brace. The notes just keep ringing and the sustain is unbelievable. That doesn't happen on an X-braced guitar. There was an interesting comment made by one of the Taylor guys. He said that where companies like Martin and Gibson are busy trying to recreate their legacy days, Taylor is moving forward, coming up with new, innovative methods of guitar building. There was another Taylor guy who played the dozen or so guitars that were available for use to try out. Honestly, I was impressed.

Oh, Mark Seal was the player.

Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
I give them credit for trying all these things. Most builders, the big factory ones anyway, just build them the way they always have been built. I think too many players and builders are afraid of going outside the box of "normal" guitar building. Will the V bracing really make it sound different ? I wish there was one of those good review sites, like Pure Sound, that could do an A/B on a pair with and without. Andy didn't play much dynamic with that guitar in the clip. Just really lightly noodling around.
Do not know if your wish has been fulfilled (haven't read the whole thread), bur as I had watched this video some time ago, here it is...
https://de-vid.com/video/taylor-2017-914ce-vs-2018-914ce-v-class-comparison-jS0ZPNb2_NE.html
You can avoid the talking by going straight to about 8th minute or so if in a hurry...

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I give them credit for trying all these things. Most builders, the big factory ones anyway, just build them the way they always have been built. I think too many players and builders are afraid of going outside the box of "normal" guitar building. Will the V bracing really make it sound different ? I wish there was one of those good review sites, like Pure Sound, that could do an A/B on a pair with and without. Andy didn't play much dynamic with that guitar in the clip. Just really lightly noodling around.

True there are many builders repeating the old ways but let me split the group up 50/50 for ease .
So half the custom builders group A , build the old way and because of it their the ones you see . The other 50 % , group B do go outside the box but you never see those guitars unless your part of a group that has such members/ builders . Now at the same time Group A constantly find ways to improve the builds tone and sustain , overtones etc . But builds stay primary consistent otherwise.

Group B also builds like group A , they have to because they need money to . Their new designs in guitars are not easily excepted by the norm and it will be rare to find any of these guitars from a custom builder no matter how innovative mostly because there’s not enough of them out there to be noticed and their guitars cost a small fortune.

I have no doubt that many innovations come from these custom builders in one way or another but only big business can put it out there to the public to get noticed.

PittPastor

Reaction score
My problem is there is no way you can really hear sound on YouTube. Even just coming out of my laptop, an Alienware gaming monster -- it's not the same. There is nothing like sitting in a room by yourself and playing -- but other than that it seems you need a high quality clip being played through a dedicated sound card, with high quality headphones on to be ale to discern slight variations in tone.

So, if I were ever in a place that I could play a Taylor V-brace, I sure would. I have a friend who played one and loved it. But youtube reviews -- as much as I appreciate the effort -- hardly ever tells me anything.
YMMV.

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
Oy, again?

sP6MB.jpg

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think Taylor has made it a part of their business to at least try new things. The neck, as previously noted, is most likely the best neck available without count to a full custom build. To get that neck on a production grade guitar is a plus. Likewise much of Taylor's sales growth as been due to smart marketing. Not with gimmicks but with in your face availability. Taylor takes a slew of guitars on the road with the road show, plays them for you do demonstrate some of the differences, then lets you play them for yourself, and then offers a up a discount on immediate buys (both road show units and generally the store's stock). In like manner, they are looking at sustainable wood usage and forestry so that the all wood guitar can continue in years to come, with woods that sound good. Is the new V brace system better or even as good, I have no clue but there is much truth to the saying "if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you currently have". All that said, I have not yet played a Taylor that screamed "take me home". ..... but now there are two that say Guild on them!