My great F512 Adventure

Aristera

Reaction score
ClydeTower,

You surely know how to give someone GAS! BTW, your guitar has it's birthday this month, on the 25th. Enjoy!

James

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Clyde, Don't forget to change your signature. Think you have something to add to this list now!

2009 Fender Stratocaster
2012 Guild D55
2014 Taylor 810CE
2014 Taylor 812CE - First Edition
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2015 Epi Les Paul Traditional

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My bet is sleeping tonight will be difficult for Clyde.

I'll bet sleeping for Clyde has been difficult for a week now, LOL! After all the risk of damage in Transporting and shipping it as well as the trip to pick it up, Everything is gravy from here on out. Still won't make sleeping any easier though, Like a 9 year old waiting up for Santa, LOL.

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hey Clyde, Don't forget to change your signature. Think you have something to add to this list now!

2009 Fender Stratocaster
2012 Guild D55
2014 Taylor 810CE
2014 Taylor 812CE - First Edition
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2015 Epi Les Paul Traditional

TX

Yes indeed, but I feel like I need to play it first before having the right to add it to the list :)

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
My bet is sleeping tonight will be difficult for Clyde.

You know it. Its like calling from the basement: "Come, play me now!....". Gotta resist the temptation... Good things come to those who wait :)

For now, laying back with my single malt scotch, enjoying the moment.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You know it. Its like calling from the basement: "Come, play me now!....". Gotta resist the temptation... Good things come to those who wait :)

While you are enjoying your Scotch and waiting like a good boy I am playing mine for you. LOL, I know that's not right but I couldn't resist.:victorious:

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
While you are enjoying your Scotch and waiting like a good boy I am playing mine for you. LOL, I know that's not right but I couldn't resist.:victorious:

TX

I know, I can hear you from Montreal. :)
Enjoy it TX, a much deserved break after a tough week for both of us.
I'll join you tomorrow, although my 12 string chops are likely a little weak compared to yours.
Gonna enjoy working on that.
Peace brotha

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was able to unbox and open the case inside the warehouse where it had been kept for the last 2 days at about 50-60F. No cracks or checking to be found!

I was wondering if/how you were going to check over the goods. Sounds like all is well. Excellent! And major congrats on your new 512! Wow!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score

You do realize 12:01 A M is tomorrow. Nothing like an early start!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's already today here in Las Vegas. So you're in the future. You should be playing that guitar by now..... shouldn't you? :encouragement::encouragement:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It certainly has been a great adventure. Can't wait to see how it turns out. :listening_headphone

Man hope ya took pictures I been up there in like forever beautiful country .

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that, after a long journey, my F512 has made it safely to its new home. I was able to unbox and open the case inside the warehouse where it had been kept for the last 2 days at about 50-60F. No cracks or checking to be found! (please insert sigh of relief here). I gave her a quick look over, it looks great cosmetically, like new condition as the seller had specified. Mind you, I will do a thorough inspection once the guitar has settled in. It's currently in my basement in its case where its a cool 65F and humidity of 40. I'll leave it be for now, although its really tempting to take it out and take her for a spin.

All in all, everything went really smoothly at the border. Once I crossed into the US, the warehouse was about a half mile from there. People at the Kinek Border Mail Depot in Champlain were super nice and helpful. So after checking the guitar to make sure it was ok, I drove back to the border, ready to be interrogated (am I the only one that's always stressed out when crossing the border, like I'm hiding a pound of coke in my car or something?). So basically, I declared the guitar, the border agent asked me how much I paid for it, I showed him the Ebay receipt for $2200 USD. The only question he had for me was: "Why is it so expensive?" to which I answered: "Well... it's a Guild F512 12 string guitar, the grand daddy of all 12 string guitars". He looked at me, silent, for about 5 seconds, and then said: "Ok. Go to cashier to pay xx$ in taxes. Have a good day."... and that was it. Not a single word about CITES regulations, import permits, rosewood, etc... He never even asked to see the guitar. It was like bringing in a case of toilet paper.

In any event, maybe I went a little overboard with the preparation, but rather be safe than sorry. Glad it all worked out.
I will post some pictures soon, after she gets here beauty rest and have had the opportunity to give her a good inspection.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and again to TX for the find!

Outstanding, Clyde. Glad you had a good experience and made it through to your home in Canuckville. I'm really not surprised that you had no CITES-related issues. You did NOT go overboard with your preparation, and like carrying an umbrella, you were ready for a storm that never came. And, YES, the F-512 is the king! :)

OK, now. WHAT DO YOU THINK? The F-512 rocked my world in 2006. Hope you feel the same way!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
So here’s my report after playing my F512 for the first time:

Full disclosure: Owning a 12 string has been a secret fantasy of mine since I was a young boy, growing up in the 70’s listening to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the likes. Although I’ve had a few guitars over the years, the 12 string has always eluded me or seemed frivolous as my “next guitar”.

And to be honest, when I set my sights on the iconic F512, I wasn’t really expecting to find one. I voluntarily set the bar high so that it would be hard to find… Searching for a perfect, pre-owned, 10/10, fairly priced, New Hartord F512 which has been out of production for almost 4 years and virtually nonexistent on the used market seemed like a safe place to harbor my GAS, at least for a while… that is until TX sent a link my way. And there it was.

So I had a decision to make, would I pass up the opportunity and brush it off as just a frivolous endeavor or would I listen to the young boy who dreamed of playing like Jimmy Page? I guess we now know the answer to that .
So this morning after making myself a good cup of coffee, I went down to the basement to find my new beauty:

f512_1.jpg

I inspected her from top to bottom and I have to say that this guitar is NOT in MINT condition. It’s better than that, it’s basically a 4 year old NEW guitar. It could have shipped directly from the GUILD shop and you wouldn’t know the difference. There aren’t even any marks on the pickguard when you hold it up to the light.

But how does it sound? That is the question.

Taking the F512 out of its case to play it for the first time is kind of like unleashing a caged beast. At first it growls at you, makes all these scary sounds and you wonder, what have I done? After getting over the initial intimidation, I settled down and got to know her a bit better. Tuning it was quite the task, but once I hit the sweet spot… Oh my god… the wall of sound hit me! And that was that…

Obviously, the kid in me needed to play “Wish you were here”, “Over the Hills and Far Away”, “Stairway”… and get that out of my system. I can tell you, I ain’t no Jimmy Page or Leo Kottle, but man what a trip!

Stepping down from my cloud for a few moments, if I try to be a bit more critical, I would say the guitar would probably benefit from a good setup. Obviously, the player needs to up his game, and I will work on that in the coming months.

IMG_3085.jpg

The action seems a bit high for my taste at 0.09” at the 12th fret for low E. As a comparison, my D55 is an incredible 0.06” and I can play it hard with no buzzing.
So I’d like to get it down to 0.07” if I can. There is plenty of height on the saddle and room for a truss rod adjustment, so it should be relatively easy to lower the action.

IMG_3087.jpg"

Regarding the string spacing at the nut: It feels as though the space within each pair (between the string and its octave) is a bit wide for my taste.
I will play the guitar for a while before deciding on anything, but cutting a new nut might be something I would consider down the road. But this is just personal taste.

IMG_3088.jpg

So all in all, this guitar is beyond what I was hoping for. It sounds incredible and looks amazing. It is also btw my first jumbo, and I must say it feels great in my lap. Big guitars seem to suit me and my playing style. It weighs 5.8 lbs, just about 1 lb more the D55, but it somehow feels light and very balanced in my lap. The neck is also relatively comfortable although my barre chords were not 100% clean when playing up the neck. Lowering the action, and maybe tuning down a half step or full step + practice will probably take car if that.

f512_23.jpg

Brothers in arms

So this closes my F512 adventure, or rather, this it where it begins. Can't wait learn some new stuff, playing techniques, try different tunings, strings and experiment.
This is going to be a blast!:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
. . . So this closes my F512 adventure, or rather, this it where it begins. . . . This is going to be a blast!

Amen, brother!

It is indeed a beginning, not an end.

Let's just say I've played my fair share of 12-strings over the years... I've had my F-512 for over 10 years and, it rules the roost. Welcome to 12-string bliss. Congratulations, man!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hoooo-boy!! That's a beauty, Clyde!! No wonder you're so excited. Clean as a whistle and a truly epic guitar! Play it in good health!! :encouragement::encouragement:

All that effort and preparation paid off!!

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
OH MY GOODNESS, CLYDE!!!! Color me green with envy. So glad it all went so well for you and I commend your efforts in making sure it did. Great photos too!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is one beautiful looking Guild F512 Clyde and great photo with the D55! From the photos that F512 has one of the tallest saddles I have seen so you should be able to hit your action height once it is setup with plenty of saddle height to spare. A great setup on that guitar should make it play and fret just like your D55 if not like an Electric. Absolutely Beautiful Man!

TX

PittPastor

Reaction score
Wow, came upon this thread late... gorgeous guitar! I do have a thing for the Guild Jumbo 12 String -- it's what gave me the Guild virus when I was an impressionable teenager, and I still want one "Some Day."

For now I'll live vicariously through folks like you. Great picture of your two Blondes side by side, btw.

Congrats!