Guild T-250 Roy Buchanan Review

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey GAD,

I may have some info on the T200 may want.

1) In my assortment of Guild parts I have a passive T200/250 bridge pickup with a black cover like an EMG but it says Guild. The pickup is made by Dimarzio and it is a stacked humbucker type design. I bought it about 15 years ago along with a sister pickup that was a full size strat type single coil package that also has a black plastic cover, like EMG, but says Guild, and made by Dimarzio. I always assumed the pair was used on T200/250.
2) I had a early black T200 years ago. Hans bought it from me on eBay. That guitar had very weird bridge saddles. They did not look like either the origional or modern tele saddles. They were pressed out if thick sheet metal, had a pair of set screws on each one to adjust height and were painted back. Neve seen anything like them but I was certain they were stock.
It would be a task for me to find pictures but I can try. Probably easier if Hans can provide pictures.
3) When the Westerly plant closed a guy was selling a lot of Guild parts including Chrome and Gold bridge plates. To my memory they were all flat and not shaped to accommodate an "ash tray". I bought a pair, one each, and eventually sold them.
4) The T250 I own is sunburst. Never saw another in a burst. I still own it and receintly pulled the stock black pickup selector nipple and installed a gold fat cap.
5) A guy I took some guitar lessons from, Charlie of Fritz music in Souderton, PA, knew and lived with Roy Buchanan in the 80's. Said he was a heavy drinker. Told a story if a empty booze monument they had at their apartment or hiuse made out of empty cans or bottles in shape of a pyramid.
Anyway, Charlie said Roy wasn't upset with the T200. He didn't recall him saying much about the likes or dislikes of the guitar.

However he was pissed at Guild. The offer they gave him was pretty poor and he was pretty insulted. Apparently at this time he wasn't doing very well. Booze, financials, etc.
Guild had a large number of artists willing to sponsor their products at this time and Roy wasn't at the top of the heap.

M

matsickma

Reaction score
Also Eventually Guild did change the headstock to the Detonator type but I have never seen one and am curious how many were made.

matsickma

Reaction score
I just got to FL for a 10 day vacation. When I return to PA I will round up the parts and get pixs posted.
M

matsickma

Reaction score
One other comment...when you reiterated the pickup specs on the T200/250 you said "one humbucker, two single coils".

Knowing what I knew about the bridge humbucker, which is unique sized for a tele type installation, I interpreted your comment as the T200/250 could come with a pair of single coils OR a single humbucker which I know to be a bridge pup. They could have done a coil split and used the selector switch as the control.

Is the T250 that Joe Perry shown with a single pickup?
M

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pretty sure I've see the T-250 with the "Cake Knife" headstock. Just don't remember where it was. (Or am I thinking of a T-200?)

matsickma

Reaction score
I just realized a lot of my stuff from years ago are accessable Photobucket link. Lot of early amps, Crossroad guitar, the best S280 I ever owned and sold, duh!
M

matsickma

Reaction score
Wow... If you guys can access my Photobucket folder directly from google. Do it! It is filled with guitars and amps I forgotten I owned! The black T200 with the funky bridge parts is there. There is even the black T250 I had with chrome parts thst I totally forgotten about. Holy Molly...it is loaded with guitars and amps I now wish I had kept!

Let me know if others can access the data.
M

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow... If you guys can access my Photobucket folder directly from google. Do it! It is filled with guitars and amps I forgotten I owned! The black T200 with the funky bridge parts is there. There is even the black T250 I had with chrome parts thst I totally forgotten about. Holy Molly...it is loaded with guitars and amps I now wish I had kept!

Let me know if others can access the data.
M
only the de-400 and the new salem, the rest is private.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Page played some of the most iconic "I need to get a Les Paul!" tones on a Tele. :)

Yardbirds%252520Fillmore-2.jpg

Right.
Yardbirds, 1968.
Thee "Dragon" Tele.
The whole first Zeppelin album (the electric stuff, anyway, except for "You Shook Me" on a Flying V ) and several bits of II are on a Tele.
Remember much of that album was cut in various studios during their spring '69 US tour.
Also the solo on "Stairway to Oblivion" is the Tele.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Found it!

BS-BB007b_zpsuwgv77jf.jpg

The T-250 looks so much better with the "Cakeknife" It would be interesting to see what it would have looked like with the "Foot". Certainly more "Tele" like.

matsickma

Reaction score
Many years ago a T200 or T250 (don't know if I knew the difference back then) showed up on eBay with a "foot" neck. It looked perfect! I remember wondering if it was stock or a swap but having little knowledge of that model at that time I assumed (incorrectly) stock.

I considered swapping necks on my T250 with a S280/281 "foot" neck as receintly as last year. However when I measured the neck width with the body route the "pointy neck" is a little wider than the "foot" neck on my parts. It could be done but a little gap between body and neck would exist from my parts.
_
Of a related topic...the picture shows a "Setzer" Bluesbird with a "cake knife" headstock. Never seen one of those. All the Setzers I saw came with "foot" headstocks.
M

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of a related topic...the picture shows a "Setzer" Bluesbird with a "cake knife" headstock. Never seen one of those. All the Setzers I saw came with "foot" headstocks.
M

Thanks for mentioning this, I thought that looked a little odd.

Think they got built this way or is it cut & paste?

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe it was the year of the cake-knifes.

It wouldn't surprise me if the got a stern talking to from Jackson's lawyers, either.

250px-Jackson_guitar_head.JPG
images

There are two different versions of this headstock from Guild that I've seen, and I've always wondered if this one is just a little bit too close to Jackson's. One the one on the T-250 the final angle on the very tip is reversed. I show the difference in my S284+ article. The top is from the blue S284 and the bottom is from the white/ivory S284+ that I thought might be an S285.

Guild-1984-X80-Maple-HEadstock-300x169.jpg

Guild-S285-Aviator-Maybe-Headstock-300x169.jpg

I actually really dig the headstock on the bottom Aviator, but it's the only oneI recall seeing with the binding.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey Grot,
I don't think "cut and paste" existed by then. Maybe the preMac Apple products had it but us DOS guys didn't have it.
Windows 3.0 came out around 1989 or 1990 and that was the start of Windows as we know it. Not many Window apps or should I say programs around then either and they were expensive. I ran Lotus 123 and Word 5.1 under DOS for quite a while before getting a Windows based program.

M

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Grot,
I don't think "cut and paste" existed by then. Maybe the preMac Apple products had it but us DOS guys didn't have it.
Windows 3.0 came out around 1989 or 1990 and that was the start of Windows as we know it. Not many Window apps or should I say programs around then either and they were expensive. I ran Lotus 123 and Word 5.1 under DOS for quite a while before getting a Windows based program.

M

Uhh, I meant real cut and paste like with scissors and glue!

Last edited: