Are Guild Guitar Cases OEM'd?

PittPastor

Reaction score
I want to get a new case for my D40C.

I actually suspect that the OHSC I have isn't really the original HSC. It has no Guild logo or marking anywhere, and it's kind of plain next to the case that came with my Mark II and the new Savoy 150A. All of the real Guild cases I have seen are kind of "plush." The one that came with my D40C is padded, but in a blue collar sort of way. Add that to the missing Guild label, and the fact that I am pretty sure the bridge came cut low due to neck misalignment from RI, and I'm thinking I bought a "B" stock guitar 36 years ago without knowing it.

Anyway... The case is really showing its wear, and I'd like to upgrade it. I went on the Guild website thinking I could buy one of the cases for their new D40 -- it even hints that it "might" work with the historic models. But they are "out of stock."

If I wanted to buy a 3rd party case that was as close the the real deal as possible, where should I look? Any ideas?

Thx!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
+1 for the TKL: I bought one to replace the chipboard case my wife's ca. 1992 D-4 came with from the CL seller.

Looks like my other Guild cases from the Westerly era, but with a TKL badge.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
D40's were so consistent size wise that a Guild Dreadnought case from any era should work, but I'd give TKL first dibs too.
All 3 of mine are OHSC from TKL, stamped on the leather tag that opens the storage compartment.
Note that during late Westerly at least, they even offered 2 levels of dreadnought cases:
the standard case as supplied with D25's had a flat top and only 3 latches although still extremely well padded.
The deluxe case supplied with the Havens D40 had an arched top (better crush resistance) and 4 latches.
Padding at least equal to standard case (hard to imagine how it could be better), just a dark green interior instead of red.

PittPastor

Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's probably going to be in line with the deluxe case mentioned by adorshki. The standard case was probably more along the lines of the TKL 7810.

Gotta admit I had a bit of sticker shock there, not having looked at case prices since I can't remember when.
Assuming they're still building 'em like they built mine though, they're pretty darn bullet proof.
And heavy , so ya feel like you're really getting your money's worth.
:glee:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Any interest in this case? its a flat top 90s. it fits my flat back D-25 like a glove. it has a few minor scuffs but definitely in excellent condition. the pull tab says "case made in canada" I could ship to Pittsburgh for $150 paypaled. It would not ship out until Friday Feb 9. No pressure at all, just offering. cheers!

sBJllK.jpg

MQ5Bvg.jpg

wkTLIw.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No pressure at all, just offering. cheers!
If it was me and I didn't care if it was "period correct" but at least genuine Guild, I'd nail down that bird-in-the-hand.
Doubt you could do any better when you figure in cost of shipping.
From a fellow forum member to boot.
:friendly_wink:

marius

Reaction score

swiveltung

Reaction score
A few years back I visited a Guitar Center out f town and they had a stack of acoustic cases in the middle of the floor. $23 each. I bought one. Very sturdy case. Not quite TKL quality, but amazing for the price of a gig bag. Heavy duty, stitched periphery etc. Now my '51 Gibson L2 needs a case. Wish I had that opportunity again. The original case is just a cheap thin one with nothing but moleskin lining. I guess they were a student guitar?

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the humicase. Measured my D40C and pretty sure it will fit right. The final decider was I had $40 off coupon at GC, and they sell the humiCase. Also, all of this dry heat due to an extremely cold winter has me worried about my D40C. I have an oasis humidifier in it right now, but a case that is "Made to Be Humid" sounds like a good insurance policy.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Any interest in this case? its a flat top 90s. it fits my flat back D-25 like a glove. it has a few minor scuffs but definitely in excellent condition. the pull tab says "case made in canada" I could ship to Pittsburgh for $150 paypaled. It would not ship out until Friday Feb 9. No pressure at all, just offering. cheers!
[/IMG]

Crap! I didn't see this post until just now. I may take you up on it yet. But let me see where the HumiCase is in process first. Not sure if I can cancel it.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
no worries, take it or leave it.
i'm sure any brand new standard dread case will fit, and be less money, anyway.

and yes there are some variations of "standard dread case," even within Guild...but basically they should all fit.

this one I have for sale fits my 1970 flat back D-25 "like a glove," definitely not too tight, but i have another Guild dread case (Tacoma era) that is just a touch roomier- it may have been for an arch back Guild dread.

also i have to make a case decision for the 1970 F-112 I am getting restored, this 90s Guild dread case I offered for sale actually fits it perfectly, somehow. but obviously, that guitar and that case are not married to each other, so if someone has a Guild dread and they want it...i'm good with parting ways. like i said above- the F-112 should fit in any dread case (yes ive found the vintage case for the F-30 but ive already spent a ton on this guitar, and the 12-string headstock would possibly touch the top of the F-30 case, would be very close).

so in any event, either way, is cool.

PittPastor

Reaction score
no worries, take it or leave it.
i'm sure any brand new standard dread case will fit, and be less money, anyway.
so in any event, either way, is cool.

Sorry to say, it left the warehouse already. (Or so they say. That seems pretty darn quick... but...)

Have to pass. Really bummed about it, because the case you have would have fit it better as far as looks go. I mean, my guitar is 36 years old. Case would have looked more authentic.

Shucks. Anyway, thanks for the offer!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
all good, i may just keep it for my F-112, an odd pair but it somehow just works great. i may just hang onto it also, and wait for the guitar to come along (i am starting to acquire a nice empty case collection).

tell us how the humidity case works! i could use something like that for sure, for a one or 2 guits that soak up the humidity pretty quick

PittPastor

Reaction score
all good, i may just keep it for my F-112, an odd pair but it somehow just works great. i may just hang onto it also, and wait for the guitar to come along (i am starting to acquire a nice empty case collection).

ha! You have more nerve than I do. I just know that sooner or later, I would be thinking: "Man, I gotta fill these empty cases!" And I'd go broke.

tell us how the humidity case works! i could use something like that for sure, for a one or 2 guits that soak up the humidity pretty quick

Will do! Thanks Mav!