R. I. P. Charlie

griehund

Reaction score
Last night I had the privilege of celebrating the life of a dear friend. I have known Charlie Fishkin for some 38 years and was proud to serve with him in the nursing home ministry that he created. His funeral was on his 98th birthday. He was a Navy man, a carpenter, a luthier and a servant of humanity. His ministry will continue as long as I am able. Thank You Charlie.
Cropped.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
RIP to a good man. Is that one of his creations he's playing in the picture?

griehund

Reaction score
Nope, he used to build 12 strings but got too old to keep them up, so I gave him my Yammy to use. He used to build them and give them away. He was down to one and it was constantly "in the shop".

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sounds like a great man who had his priorities arranged in the proper order.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fantastic! I have enjoyed and been encouraged by Charlie stories over the years here. Sad for the loss, but 98 yeas of age and still playing and leading, wow!
Bravo!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a Great Man that did a lot of great things for many people. I am sorry for your loss but it warms my heart to know you will be carrying on his ministry. RIP Charlie Fishkin, 98 years is an amazing run.

TX

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Always tough to lost a friend and a man you also highly respect. About the only thing that helps (at least me) is to know he lived a long, rewarding life and checked out while he was still able to play. Something to be said for that for sure.

Mt condolences to you Griehund and also to his many friends and his family. Time to pick up my D 40 and play a little "Will The Circle Be Unbroken"

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry for your loss. It's hard to process these things when you're close with the person. But look at what a great example he made and what a good run he had. A life well lived, I would say. You've earned your rest, Charlie.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry for your great loss, sounds like Charlie was very inspirational to a lot of folks. Blessings to you for continuing the nursing home ministry; the people there are too easily forgotten.

Oh yeah, Go Navy!

Last edited:
Reaction score
R.I.P. Charlie. I'm sorry for your loss. Judging from the size of his hands, he must have had a firm handshake.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry for loss:( like everyone says he sounds like he was a great guy .