Has anyone made a 12 String HollowBody into a Nashville Tuned 6 String?

PittPastor

Reaction score
I have an Ibanez 12 String Hollow body that doesn't get much playing time. The mid strings sort of seem a little muddy, so I've never really liked playing it. I've been fooling around with some travis picking and learning Dust In The Wind. Since Kansas actually recorded that with a 6-String in Nashville tuning AND a regular 6 string, I was thinking it might be cool to set up a Nashville tuned guitar.

So... Why not the Ibanez 12?

Any thoughts or cautions I should know about?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....Since Kansas actually recorded that with a 6-String in Nashville tuning AND a regular 6 string, I was thinking it might be cool to set up a Nashville tuned guitar.... So... Why not the Ibanez 12?

Took me a while to figure out what was going on with this Nashville tuning, but it makes sense you've got to use the first four upper-octave strings from a 12-string set. That'll make a unique sound, alright. You're just going to have a bit wider nut on that 12-string....

PittPastor

Reaction score
Took me a while to figure out what was going on with this Nashville tuning, but it makes sense you've got to use the first four upper-octave strings from a 12-string set. That'll make a unique sound, alright. You're just going to have a bit wider nut on that 12-string....

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And the Ibanez has a surprisingly small nut. According to GC it is 43mm, which is actually 1 11/16th if my math is right (and don';t hold me on that!). Thanks Cougar! I'm going to give it a whirl.

marcellis

Reaction score
I've done it w/12-string acoustics. How much acoustic tone do you get with that hollow-body?

I've kept a Nashville-tuned guitar handy for years. But its usually a 6-string.

A 12-string will do it just fine as long as (1) Your fingers can handle the change and (2) the unused tuners don't rattle at the top. But I wonder about the acoustic volume on the hollow-body.

Right now, a Vietnamese dread is my Nashville tuned guitar.

I saw Mickey Gilley last year. His acoustic player had a Nashville-tuned guitar. There was no other acoustic on the stage.

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
I've done it w/12-string acoustics. How much acoustic tone do you get with that hollow-body?
A 12-string will do it just fine as long as (1) Your fingers can handle the change and (2) the unused tuners don't rattle at the top. But I wonder about the acoustic volume on the hollow-body.

Oh, hardly any acoustic at all. This thing might as well be solid body for the acoustic tone... But it will be plugged in, so that shouldn't matter. I made the transition tonight with the strings I have on it -- man, those are sharp! So thin and you really notice it when you don't have double strings. I have a new set ordered. I'm anxious to see how they do.

But I have to say, that sound is kinda cool. I will play it with the other guys in Tuesday for practice. Looking forward to it!

marcellis

Reaction score
Oh, hardly any acoustic at all. This thing might as well be solid body for the acoustic tone... But it will be plugged in, so that shouldn't matter. I made the transition tonight with the strings I have on it -- man, those are sharp! So thin and you really notice it when you don't have double strings. I have a new set ordered. I'm anxious to see how they do.

But I have to say, that sound is kinda cool. I will play it with the other guys in Tuesday for practice. Looking forward to it!

Yeah - you’ll have to play around w/eq. Most uses of high-string or Nashville tuning I’ve heard are w/acoustics. On an acoustic, I think it sounds better than a 12.

In recording, it’s more flexible than a 12 string. 2 There may be some parts of
a song that would sound better w/o the lower octave strings. But session players
usually play it in place of a 6 string.

If you’re curious, I played 2 parts panned here. It sounds like a 12. But the lower 6 are panned to 1 side. The high strings are panned to the other. I don’t know how you could do that w/a full 12. I used a D25 regular and a Vietnamese Guitar w/hi strings. On some parts, you’ll hear the D25 alone.

On 12-string recordings a Nashville-tuned guitar can can allow the player to do stuff
he or she could never do on a full 12.

http://music.marcellis.net/Bonne_Annee_copyright_2008_Marc_Ellis.mp3

Last edited: