Does anyone know what happened to John Denver’s Guilds?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't get into the JD guitar site:

http://www.jdgrs.com/guitars.php

Has this been taken down?

The post here from a member of the John Denver Guitar Research Site has a link to the site that does not work for me, so they may be out of business.

I guess nothing has changed in the past day or two.

The DNS record for the site is still good so someone wants to keep the domain even if the site has been neglected.

In the meantime, the Internet Archive can drop some hints.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161020223056/http://jdgrs.com/guitars.php?cat=2

The link above is to the JDGRS Guild page circa October 2016. It is a bit funky navigating but if someone is motivated there is definitely info there.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fro, how'd you get that link? That's great; that's the site I remember....

Does this mean the site is still hosted somewhere? Or, is "web.archive.org" some sort of cache ??

(feel free to PM me the details; I'm really just curious)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fro, how'd you get that link? That's great; that's the site I remember....

Does this mean the site is still hosted somewhere? Or, is "web.archive.org" some sort of cache ??

(feel free to PM me the details; I'm really just curious)

https://archive.org/ is a collection of many things that were once on the internet, and may still be. They have expanded to include public domain content on digital media, but in Ye Olden Days their primary focus was preserving internet content. They had web crawlers and the results could be explored via the WayBack Machine. I find it especially useful for reference or archival material that was once hosted but the domain or company are no longer around.

merlin6666

Reaction score
https://archive.org/ is a collection of many things that were once on the internet, and may still be. They have expanded to include public domain content on digital media, but in Ye Olden Days their primary focus was preserving internet content. They had web crawlers and the results could be explored via the WayBack Machine. I find it especially useful for reference or archival material that was once hosted but the domain or company are no longer around.

Unfortunately this is blocked at my work computer. It's also useful to visit previous versions of the Guild website and get specs of discontinued models and other info.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Another interesting story about John's F-612 guitars.
It is rumored that there were three of these guitars used by John.
Someone posted a story that there were actually only two F-612 Guilds that were owned by John.
One of them had the top replaced, so it looked different before the repairs than it did after.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here is an interesting JD item, apparently sold since as of today the listing is ended: https://reverb.com/item/6477838-joh...2-xl-make-an-offer-on-just-the-case-or-guitar

Hello

So it is an Anvil flight case for a Guild F212 that was on John Denver tour - but who played it? Was it a spare? Was there someone else in the band who also played 12-string?

I have here an Anvil case, that has been in same room with Barney Kessel ( he did not know about it . . .) - but it was there !!! Does it make it worth - say 1000 USD ? For Stratocaster.

Watermelon

p.s. nice inlay on fretboard on that NON JD F212

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello

So it is an Anvil flight case for a Guild F212 that was on John Denver tour - but who played it? Was it a spare? Was there someone else in the band who also played 12-string?

I have here an Anvil case, that has been in same room with Barney Kessel ( he did not know about it . . .) - but it was there !!! Does it make it worth - say 1000 USD ? For Stratocaster.

Watermelon

p.s. nice inlay on fretboard on that NON JD F212

That is actually a discounted price in that ad. Originally they were asking some $6000-$8000 for the Non JD F212XL and the case when they first posted it for sale. It was listed here in the Craigslist section quite a while back when it first popped up for sale.

TX

Last edited:

Butch

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with John Denver on two separate occasions. The first time was outside of the Lakeland Civic Center in Lakeland Florida several hours before his concert. Two tour busses pulled in and went into the parking garage about 20 minutes later a black limousine pulled in. There was no room in the garage for the limo so the driver parked it outside of the garage. The rear passenger door opens up and who gets out but John Denver. We spoke for a while as he was getting two guitars out of the trunk. He wouldn’t let the driver get them out. He insisted on getting them out himself. Both guitars were were in leather cases that appeared
to be lined with sheep skin.

idealassets

Reaction score
We spoke for a while as he was getting two guitars out of the trunk. He wouldn’t let the driver get them out. He insisted on getting them out himself. Both guitars were were in leather cases that appeared
to be lined with sheep skin.
JD sounds like a classy guy. He knew how nice his guitars were, and whoever would want to hear those awful words: "whoops, lookout- crash, bang!"

Butch

Reaction score
He played 4 or 5 different guitars that night. I am assuming that his F50 and F612 were the ones that he was carrying with him.