F512 custom?

Butch

Reaction score
I have several vintage Guild guitars . 2 F50R’s , 3F512’s, 1 F612, and 1F212. All of them, with the exception of the F212, and one of the F512’s, have 3 piece necks, with a maple strip going all the way up the neck to the top of the head stock. This particular F512 has Brazilian rosewood sides and an Indian rosewood back. It also has the F612 inlays in the finger board. What I find interesting is that it does not have the 3 piece neck with the maple strip. It has what appears to be a solid mahogany neck, with a rosewood veneer over the back of the head stock. At first, I thought that maybe the neck had been replaced at some point but the binding around the neck and the dove tail appear to be intact and my luthier said that it all appears to be original. The thought also crossed my mind that maybe the head stock had broken off at the nut, at some point, and the rosewood veneer was used to cover up the repair, but, the back of the head stock has the serial number punched into it just like all of my other vintage Guilds. Has anyone ever seen this?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I have several vintage Guild guitars . 2 F50R’s , 3F512’s, 1 F612, and 1F212. All of them, with the exception of the F212, and one of the F512’s, have 3 piece necks, with a maple strip going all the way up the neck to the top of the head stock. This particular F512 has Brazilian rosewood sides and an Indian rosewood back. It also has the F612 inlays in the finger board. What I find interesting is that it does not have the 3 piece neck with the maple strip. It has what appears to be a solid mahogany neck, with a rosewood veneer over the back of the head stock. At first, I thought that maybe the neck had been replaced at some point but the binding around the neck and the dove tail appear to be intact and my luthier said that it all appears to be original. The thought also crossed my mind that maybe the head stock had broken off at the nut, at some point, and the rosewood veneer was used to cover up the repair, but, the back of the head stock has the serial number punched into it just like all of my other vintage Guilds. Has anyone ever seen this?

Wow, that's an impressive collection! Please post some pictures of this F512, I would like to see it

Butch

Reaction score
Thank You, Hans. I know that you are the foremost expert on Guild guitars. I am thrilled that you took the time to reply to my post. Was it unusual for Guild to do this? It is my understanding that 512’s with the 612 inlays are somewhat rare? Do you have any idea how many were produced?