Ever go to sell a guitar and change your mind when you play it?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sometimes that happens to me when I take pictures of it.

Guild-S300AD-Burst.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is the reason I haven't sold any of mine yet, LOL! Pretty soon I will be living in a house filled with guitars and cases with only small walkways cleared from room to room as necessity dictates. You have to admit though, There are much worse ways to slowly go crazy!:tongue-new:

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is the reason I haven't sold any of mine yet, LOL! Pretty soon I will be living in a house filled with guitars and cases with only small walkways cleared from room to room as necessity dictates. You have to admit though, There are much worse ways to slowly go crazy!:tongue-new:

TX

That's why I'm selling! My kid was in the office and I was complaining about all the cases. She said, "How many?"

I replied, "Around 30."

"Lets count them!", and off she went counting cases.

42. Crap.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
42 ? Isn't that the answer to Life, the Universe and everything ?

But, I must agree with your kid. If there is one in that stash I really need, you really NEED to move it on out of there !

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
LOL! I quit counting... if I do that I'll have to 'fess up to some serious Guild obsession :biggrin-new:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
42 ? Isn't that the answer to Life, the Universe and everything ?

But, I must agree with your kid. If there is one in that stash I really need, you really NEED to move it on out of there !
Do you know the real meaning to 42? Douglas Adams was familiar with programming, and in ASCII, 42 represents an asterisk, which is used to mean “anything you want.”

Mark WW

Reaction score
It happens daily. I have somehow whittled my stash down to 18 or so (maybe 24?) and they still haunt me. My goal was to get to 12. A new (old) guitar to play every month. Sounds reasonable right? Well that is electrics and does not count my one lonely Beatle bass and (4) acoustics. How is it a fun hobby can turn in to a (1st world obviously) burden?

I gotta go count my guitars again...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since we started closing FS threads when the instrument was sold or taken off the market, I'd guess we average 6-10 per year where the seller decided to keep the instrument. Anecdotal, but the story is almost always that they got it out to answer some question about the instrument, played it, fell back in love and decided to pull the listing.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We should include a complimentary crowbar with each sale post; so the buyer can pry it from the seller's hands.

matsickma

Reaction score
Guitar or Guild Retention Behavior, GRB, has been the bane of my life! And seeing pictures of previously owned Guilds only makes it worse.
However I am also getting tired of having to move these cases around!
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guitar or Guild Retention Behavior, GRB, has been the bane of my life! And seeing pictures of previously owned Guilds only makes it worse.
However I am also getting tired of having to move these cases around!
M

That's my main problem. I don't have room for 40 guitars! Right now i'm thinking of taking some that probably won't sell (blue Aviator) and hanging it on the wall so then I can put the case in storage.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
That's my main problem. I don't have room for 40 guitars! Right now i'm thinking of taking some that probably won't sell (blue Aviator) and hanging it on the wall so then I can put the case in storage.

That is an unbelievable quantity of guitars! There are some stores around here that likely do not have 42 guitars in stock lol!

I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoy your reviews and write-ups at your website. It must take you a long time and you do a superb job. Certainly there are others who enjoy your fine work and you may be unaware of our gratitude....so thank you!

Now...go tell your daughter that you NEED those guitars so that you can continue to do your fine work....and let her know that it is for the greater good!....and you won't be lying.

Kit

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I just wish you had some acoustics :)
and btw, when i do finally go electric, you will be the first person I seek advise from ...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is an unbelievable quantity of guitars! There are some stores around here that likely do not have 42 guitars in stock lol!

I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoy your reviews and write-ups at your website. It must take you a long time and you do a superb job. Certainly there are others who enjoy your fine work and you may be unaware of our gratitude....so thank you!

Now...go tell your daughter that you NEED those guitars so that you can continue to do your fine work....and let her know that it is for the greater good!....and you won't be lying.

Kit

Thanks!

When I told my daughter that so many guitars was a problem she responded with, "But it's so cool!"

Yeah, it's cool for her because she basically lives in a guitar store! She played my American Deluxe Strat for a while, then the NS Bluesbird. She was going to take the S281 next, but i think she has her eyes on the NS S200 Thunderbird. She has a Fender Champ clone that I built along with a Mark Bass amp for her bass. It's funny to me that being 16, she doesn't seem to have any like at all for classically designed electrics. She thinks my Nightbirds are, and I quote, "ugly" -gasp-. She thinks all the '80s guitars are dumb, though to be fair she's not alone there. :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just wish you had some acoustics :)
and btw, when i do finally go electric, you will be the first person I seek advise from ...

The problem with acoustics is that a) they take up even more room and b) they're expensive!

I also don't have nearly the expertise with acoustics that I do with electrics which may be why my sole acoustic right now is a Taylor. Well, i also have an '80s Yamaha, but my daughter nabbed that one. :emmersed:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm selling! My kid was in the office and I was complaining about all the cases. She said, "How many?"

I replied, "Around 30."

"Lets count them!", and off she went counting cases.

42. Crap.

I am in the same boat GAD. I have rough count 28 Guilds with half of those being acoustics. Then you factor in the others like my Carlo Greco, 5 American Strats, Couple of High End limited Gretsch Black Falcon Run Guitars, a few Lawsuit era Takamine Acoustics and Aria Pro II Electrics, and the miscellaneous resonator or 2 plus a Mandolin and I am right around the same number of 40-45. Then you could add the Roland Digital Piano as well plus 7 Guitar Amps and my Recording setup. Can't forget the stockpile of NOS and hard to find Guild Guitar parts as well as other brands. It makes for a whole lot of stuff. The biggest space eater is the Acoustic Guitar Cases but I don't want to take those to storage on the off chance I need to case a guitar right then. Every time I go to sell one of my guitars I pick them up to check them over and play them to make sure everything is copacetic and I immediately realize why I haven't been able to put it up for sale as at this point they are all dear to me in one way or another and have defining qualities about them which make them my Keepers, LOL!

On a positive note I have made progress in the past year. Instead of buying more guitars I actually traded a guitar for guitar twice which cut down on the overall number by having one in and one out. However as I type this I am in the process of going through a new acquisition which will have a NGD posted for it in the next few days so you could say I have fully regressed as well, LOL. Regardless I know this is a first world problem and I am happy to have it!

TX

Last edited: