D46 electric question

Reaction score
Hi there folks. I have a D46 ent
Serial number DL1000070

I can’t find any specific info on it. Regarding the ENT that appears on the sticker describing the model. I also can’t find that serial number. It also has “electric” engraved in the plastic plate on the headstock.
It seems to have a pick up but I’ve never been able to get it to work.

I love this guitar, it’s sound is like not other acoustic I’ve ever had.

I’m just trying to nail down how old it is and where it fits into the productions, and maybe what it might be worth. Not that I will ever sell it, but my friend said it might be worth a bunch so I’m just curious.

Thanks for any info!!!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Serial number makes it 1980 with the usual disclaimers because I am getting that info from a published chart and not Hans' book. (Much of the serial number info online is incomplete or incorrect. The definitive source is The Guild Guitar Book by Hans Moust).

Guild's naming conventions aren't. While there may be a model D46-ENT it may also be that the model is D46 and this particular one has electronics and a natural top. Guild's funny like that. Somebody who might know what they are talking about will be along soon.

1980 puts it from the factory in Westerly, Rhode Island.

We call the plastic plate on the headstock the truss rod cover or TRC. It is possible to install the TRC upside down but doing so immediately devalues the instrument :) Guild did engrave TRCs but I cannot recall hearing about one on an "acoustic" guitar. You might have an interesting outlier or it might be something that was done after it left the factory.

I'm not sure what your friend considers "a bunch" but I think it is safe to say than only a handful of used Guilds change hands for over $2000.

Pictures would be fun. Short answer is host them elsewhere and link to them here. Long answer is at http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Tommy,
Welcome to LTG!

I think Frono nailed it... E is for "Electric" and NT for "Natural Top." I haven't seen a D-46 with "Electric" on the TRC before, tho' I have seen them on a few other Guild acoustics on eBay in the past, so I don't know how common that was. D-46s themselves are not terribly uncommon... based on the SN range, there were somewhat under a thousand made between 1980-1985. You will see as many has a half dozen sell on eBay or Reverb in a year.

Yours would be an early D-46, made in 1980. It has ash back and sides, and ash neck with mahogany center stripe. Some of the early D-46s have the rosewood centerpiece down the back (I have an '81 with the rosewood centerpiece... a pic is here...)... does yours? I am sure that I am not the only one that would like to see pictures. According to Hans Moust, the rosewood centerpiece allowed Guild to use pieces of ash that were too small for a full book-matched back.

All of the D-46s I have seen sell over the years (mine included) have been drilled out for end-pin jacks... I have often wondered if they all came from the factory with electronics... tho' they certainly aren't all marked as electrics on the label (mine was not)... or if perhaps they were all factory drilled for an end pin jack, but only a fraction of those actually got electronics (and the "E" on the label).

As for value... I have seen quite a few sell on eBay over the last 10 years. Of course, value depends on condition, and how much a buyer is willing to pay. I have seen prices listed from lows around $600 to over $1000. Most would probably fall in the $800-1000 range. You might see higher prices listed on Reverb, but listing prices and selling prices are not necessarily the same...

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi Tommy, welcome aboard!
Just to corroborate what Gardman and Frono said, from years of observation here, I'm also sure it's an Electric Natural Top, and the "Electric" engraved truss rod covers seemed to be an '80's thing.
Consider it a period-correct hallmark of authenticity.

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed replies. That answers all my questions. Truth is this guitar has been played, and played well. It has a bunch of wear marks and I don’t expect it’s actually worth that much. But in spite of it’s looks it holds its tune forever, and has such a rich full sound. I play it everyday and just leave it around so it’s there when the mood strikes.

Thanks again!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Truth is this guitar has been played, and played well. It has a bunch of wear marks and I don’t expect it’s actually worth that much. But in spite of it’s looks it holds its tune forever, and has such a rich full sound. I play it everyday and just leave it around so it’s there when the mood strikes.

Thanks again!

The International Mojo Preservation Society salutes you.