How Many LTGers Perform at Open Mics Regularly?

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
It all depends on the night.
Our song circle
jam is not an open mic but we do play to a small crowd.

Most nights it's a blend of Martin, Gibson and Taylor with a Guild once in a while.
There have been a few nights when we will have 4 Guilds there at the same time.

Bluegrass is the primary music so heavy on Martin.

Reaction score
I hit an open mic this past Monday. It's mostly musicians in the audience, but it was nice being around kindred spirits and everybody is very supportive. Some of the people performing are very talented. At least one has won a Wammie, which is a music related award given out in the DC area. There were a fair number of oooops on stage. It ends up being a long night. I arrived somewhat early and was already eleventh on the list. Two plus hours later I finally played. I don't drink alcohol before playing, so I had to wait to order my Manhattan.

I played a Ricky Nelson/Gene Clark style version of "Almost Saturday Night", a song which I think has disappeared from a lot of people's radar over the years.

Next, I played "The Mighty Quinn" and got the crowd singing along to the chorus. I have the verses memorized and most people only know snippets.

My last song was John Entwistle's "My Wife" from Who's Next. A quirky song to say the least. I made a minor flub on the first verse, but recovered smoothly and finished the song. The chord progression is a bit odd.

Reaction score
I returned to the open mic this past Monday. There was a guy who showed up late and started playing from his seat in the audience, while there was a performer on stage. He showed up after I played. If he did that while I played, I would have stopped playing and told him to STFU. One of the popular players in the audience went over to his table and asked him to stop. He was then put on stage (before his slot) and would have probable continued playing all night, except the MC pulled the plug. He left immediately after his set. He had a driver. I've since found out he has some disability that prohibits him from driving and has a bit of a name in these parts. Mr. Rock Star gave me a high five upon leaving the stage.

I played a Nick Lowe style version of "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding". Nick wrote the song after all, even though Elvis Costello has the more popular version. Next was the New Riders of the Purple Sage's, "Sutter's Mill", a short ditty about the California gold rush in 1848. The stage light shining directly in my face caused me to loose a little concentration during the lead melody line. I ended with Springsteen's "Rosalita", which has a lot of different sections and subtle nuances in the chord sequences, so I'm happy about getting through that in one piece. Overall a good evening for me playing wise. The guy who played first saw my Westerly Collection OM140-CE and said he has the same guitar and quite likes it. He was very good, playing a Martin on stage.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i have played in pubilc a total of 4 times that I recall. I guess one was an open mic technically, but more of an open jam sesh. all four times i just kinda "jammed," did not play any real songs and had zero preparation. all of the 4 settings were a little different, and I was surpirsed at each of them to either attract a small crowd/peoples attention, not scare away the pre-existing crowd, hear people actually clap, and in one instance a friend and I were actually given a cash tip!! the first time was the open jam, was the scariest. a bunch of people were in this bar in brooklyn and long story very short, some other guy showed up and played his originals, and my friend forced me to play along and take some solos (what??)- we were the only 2 of about 50 people that actually brought instruments (and my friend had told me "just bring your guitar it will get us free drinks- you dont have to actually play" famous last words!!) this was 15+ years ago, I had my only guitar at the time (Ibanez acoustic with awful strings that I fought like Mike Tyson), I was no where near as good as I am now and knew nothing about guitars and very little about playing one. i couldnt believe I pulled this jam sesh off and actually there was a third instrument in the room- someone bought a banjo like the day before and had no idea how to play it, they had it with them and after the sesh begged me and/or the other guy for a quick lesson (at this point I was sure this was all a dream), so for 10 seconds i took his banjo and told him the one thing i learned about 5 string banjo vs. 4 string banjo, that I learned from a hockey camp counselor back in the 1980s, and had never thought of for a moment until this encounter...anyway i showed him the one thing i knew and this guy just thought I was litterally Jimmy Page or something. he was like, bowing down to me haa (seriously). my friend who is a professional musician was like "see man u were great" I was like dude, thats not what u were saying yesterday!

I will never forget the one moment we were playing the guy's song, I was just kinda playing along his verse chords, he was singing (quite emphatically), and the verse ends, he turns around and looks at me from about 20 feet away, with the entire audience beteeen us, and shouts "E!". and in the mili-second moment I had to process this, the first thought that popped into my mind was "how does he know my name (Eric)?" then just, just, just in time- a mili-second later, it occurs to me, he does not know my name actually (nor care of such details), he is simply telling me to rip a solo in the key of E...so I rolled thru the major E scale (or close to it) good enough to get some claps...i just couldnt believe I pulled it off. this was nothing I was going to win a grammy for, but I had zero experience, zero preparation, and zero intention to perform, and it was a success. definitely a game changer for me at the time. around this time I was getting setious about guitar and used to get together with friends to play and all...life happens though, for all of us.

the other times were all in parks in New York City. once solo, once duo, and once with a group. all improv, all the time. for the most part. these days i have time to play guitar, but not so much time to rehearse a full set. open mic is pretty serious around these parts, i got lucky that one time but mostly it's for major leaguers. some people definitely get in over their heads and show up unprepared.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks Mav for your anecdote. I regularly perform at open mics in and around Charlottesville, VA where I live. I also go to a monthly jam in a small town about 30 miles south of C'ville. There are plenty of opportunities at that jam for me and other players to chime in with a ad hoc solo, based on the melody of the song. It's great fun to challenge yourself among friends.

RC

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Mav for your anecdote. I regularly perform at open mics in and around Charlottesville, VA where I live. I also go to a monthly jam in a small town about 30 miles south of C'ville. There are plenty of opportunities at that jam for me and other players to chime in with a ad hoc solo, based on the melody of the song. It's great fun to challenge yourself among friends.

RC

Rich, do you get to play with Neal much? I think he runs an open mic in Cville?

merlin6666

Reaction score
I went to monthly open mics for the last year but always brought an ukulele as it has better portability and I don't have to strain my voice (don't actually use the mic). I had just mustered enough courage to bring one of the Guilds last week but then it was cancelled as apparently they need a new venue. Otherwise I go to an acoustic jam in an Irish pub every other week and rotate my Guilds going there - the Guilds sure like being played along with other instruments they always sound better than at home. Even though I am super cautious once another player dropped his guitar on the Jumbo, so I was not happy about the tiny ding in the binding/battle scar.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

RC

yes I agree Rich, that sounds like my type of scene. one day i'll have more time to focus on some goals like that. I will probably not be living in NYC or it's suburbs when that day comes. but i will ride again!

I also just wanted to add to my long winded story, not sure how I left this out before...but to answer your original question in this thread...

the other 3 times I played in punblic were all in the last few years, twice in Central Park and once in another small park in mahanttan. all 3 times the vintage Guilds were all kinds of on the scene, i played the 1962 M-20 solo in Central Park last year, had 2 F-20s in the park with a group a few years before that (1970 & 1976), and we had a 1970 M-20 and 1972 D-25 at the neighborhood park just me and my one buddy this past fall (that was the big payout...5 bucks EACH!), havn't given it another shot since then, guess I just figured to go out while I was on top! ha! seriously though, no fear in letting the Guilds on the luce in the big apple...high risk high reward...TODAY IS THE DAY everyday...is the only way...

crank

Reaction score
I am an occasional open mic player. I have used both my G37 and my 4F412. I also attend a monthly pickin' party and usually bring the G37. I gig a fair amount, 2-4 times a month but almost never bring an acoustic for those and all my electrics are of the non Guild variety. I also have a Monday night jam band that is all electric as well.

Between Monday's jams and Saturday night gigs I am usually too lazy to leave the house for an open mic during the week. I am looking into playing some farmers market solo gigs on Saturday mornings once the weather warms up.

When I do play an open mic I usually do a mix of covers and originals.

Reaction score
Three weeks in a row for me.

One of my friends is in a bluegrass band. Three members of the band showed up and played this song. They were awesome and the member who plays a banjo ukulele and provided the "water" vocal during this song also performed a solo set at the end of the night. Usually when people play their original music I get a bit bored, but this guy played two funny, imaginative original songs. He is probably in his late 60's and I heard him talk about trying his hand at a comedy (Smothers Brothers like) duo early in his life. It amazes me the talent that is out there.

Neal

Reaction score
Rich, do you get to play with Neal much? I think he runs an open mic in Cville?

Indeed he does, Wood. Rich and I play just about every Monday night at this little place right up the street from my house. It is an interesting set-up:

1. No covers allowed. You have to play your own stuff.

2. The guy who runs it was a touring musician for 25 years (Mike Clem of Eddie from Ohio). He has put together a combo that will back you on your song if you wish (drums, bass, electric guitar). You literally have 15 seconds to teach them your tune, and then off you go! Sometimes great! Sometimes train wreck!

3. Mike offers up a challenge every week to write a new song, in response to a song prompt. Some of us try to write a new song each and every week.

I host an open mic one Wednesday each month. No rules, no structure, just fun.

Reaction score
Well, I've got about 5-6 weeks in recent times at my local open mic. I've had some good moments and a couple of rough times. I'll be skipping this coming Monday, but my next appearance will be with three chord songs. Need to simplify for a night. I did a duet with one of my bandmates, we played "Galway Girl" in honor of St. Patricks Day and it came out well. She plays a concertina, during my guitar and singing.

Last week, one of the hotshots played "On the Cover of the Rolling Stone" by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show. Wow, everybody in the audience was helping out with the chorus inserting "Rolling Stone" at the appropriate time. I think it's a three chord song, need to look into that one.

Reaction score
We were out of town recently on a beach vacation. I had my guitar with me and found out about an open mic. It started at 7:00 pm and ended at 10:00 pm. 15 minutes or three songs per performer. I walked in at 6:50 pm and the only slot available was the first one at 7:00 pm. I played "Quinn the Eskimo",
"On the Cover of the Rolling Stone" and "When I Paint My Masterpiece" with a partial capo upside down at the 2nd fret. I did pretty good and the place was packed, mostly with vacationers, but also a lot of musicians. I found out Sunday night open mics are the busiest night of the week year-round because that is used to hire musicians to play during the other days.

MLBob

Reaction score
Not a whole lot of open mics around here that are worth the effort for the playing time allotted, but our duo (used to be a trio before our bass player passed a year ago) does play regularly at area retirement communities, and the coffee shops or restaurants that book gigs. Usually do two hours worth of material. Always bring both my Guilds (Studio 24 and JF30 - 12) whenever we play out. My partner plays a Taylor acoustic or a Tele. We're out at least once a month, more often when things line up ( played 3x in the space of four days last week). Both of us are retired, so we also have the luxury of getting together to work on our stuff once each week for two or three hours. Keeps us out of trouble.

WwC1IYG.jpg
[/IMG]

Bob