How many F612’s were produced and how many are accounted for today?

Butch

Reaction score
How many F612’s were produced and how many are accounted for today?

Does any one know how many F612’s were produced and how many of those are accounted for today?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Does any one know how many F612’s were produced and how many of those are accounted for today?

Fuzzy memory on that one and hard to search for it, but I think it was 20 or less, maybe not even that (11?) and I think we id'd 6 of 'em surviving several years ago?
For sure very low production.
TXBumper may know as he's an owner.

shot put

Reaction score
Hi- I was told that 3 lots of 6 were made. 1970, 1971,1972 The ones Ive played have all been very unique in tone and appearance.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi- I was told that 3 lots of 6 were made. 1970, 1971,1972 The ones Ive played have all been very unique in tone and appearance.

I have been told the same info as Shot Put and also that there are only around 10 examples +/- that are known to have survived. The details such as rosettes, pickguard material, and other small details vary from guitar to guitar from what I have seen. Also I am not sure about the 1970 and 1972 batches but I know the 1971 models (at least the batch mine came from) had consecutive serial numbers. The sister F612 to mine is actually within 30 minutes of me. Hard to believe after all these years that they wound up being in separate collections that close to one another.

TX

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Maybe fraternal twins TX. I know you have, most likely, posted a picture of yours and I would love to see it. Would you direct me toward the picture or post it again for new LTG members?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe fraternal twins TX. I know you have, most likely, posted a picture of yours and I would love to see it. Would you direct me toward the picture or post it again for new LTG members?

Sure Stu, Here is a link to a thread I posted not long ago showing My 71 F612 and 78 Carlo Greco 18" Custom Jumbo together as they were both built by Mr Greco.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...bo-Together-for-the-First-Time&highlight=F612

Here is a photo from the thread with the F612 to the left and the Carlo Greco to the right.

imzPIV.jpg

And here is a photo of the F612 on the right next to one of my F512's on the left for size comparison.

Jey0R0.jpg

And finally the Guild Family Jumbo photo with the F612 in the middle back with the Greco from this thread.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...umbo-Family-Photos-as-Promised&highlight=F612

6ejEA5.jpg

TX

idealassets

Reaction score
I have a census of 5 different Guild F612 serial numbers, all of which I almost bought at a point since I took an interest in Guild guitars. So you add John Denver's (2)-F612's, then the one that TX owns, another F612 that is owned by yet another LTG member, and you can account for 9 of which I know of. So far I have owned one of these 9 F612's.

I was disappointed that the only luthiers that showed an enthusuastic interest in helping me restore this F612 were at the Martin factory. The folks in Nazareth, PA answered all my questions pertaining to restoring it, but stated that it is their policy to only restore Martin guitars.

I sold that F612 and resolved to play only guitars that are current, and for which I have located luthiers that can do some good quality work necessary to maintain them.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
TX:
Thank you for reposting the pictures of those guitars. If beauty were a crime the F512, F612, and the Carlo Greco would be on death row. Doubt that I will ever see three guitars of this quality in person. Happy for you!

idealassets

Reaction score
Would anyone want to trade serial numbers with me? I'd be glad to do it on a PM. I also have photo files of each of the 5 F612 guitars.

I am interested in knowing if my serial numbers may be a duplicates of the guitars that belong to another owner here on LTG. In other words do I have the serial number already for your guitar, or if not I can add your serial number to my census and increase the count of F612's that are known to exist.

I do have 2 1971 F612 Serial Numbers that are only 2 apart from each other.

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
In my F612 photo files I have one with a Guild Westerly tag where the model number is written in ink as a "7612NT", instead of F612. Is it possible that the F was printed out as "7" due to F being the 7th letter of the alphabet?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In my F612 photo files I have one with a Guild Westerly tag where the model number is written in ink as a "7612NT", instead of F612. Is it possible that the F was printed out as "7" due to F being the 7th letter of the alphabet?
I'd think it's more likely a case of one of those very sloppily written labels since we know that's a genuine issue.
And maybe even because the person who wrote it grew up making 'em
like this:
capital_f_instructions.png

Seriously, no joke.

idealassets

Reaction score
I particularly like TX's image of the F612 alongside the F512. Those are 2 great guitars. Now we can see just what we are talking about.

idealassets

Reaction score
My F612 serial number is 60412 which I believe makes it a 1971 as well.
Yes, that's a 1971. I have images of it, but did not record who was selling it. You can PM me about that if you prefer to. Do you play it very often? I owned a 1972 for about 3 years, serial number 64502. I kept it tuned to C# and played it often.

Under proper humidity conditions a couple of top cracks began to close up quite nicely. This guitar was maybe not stored very well, since when I first got it a few of the previously repaired and cleated cracks looked very stressed and appeared as though they were going to come unglued and widen up more. But it has a much better home now!

Butch

Reaction score
I bought it from a gentlemen named Demien Menge. As I recall, he lived in Oregon. I play it almost exclusively. I keep it tuned down 1/2 step. It seems to do fine. I live on the water and Florida in general is quite humid.

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score