How many F612’s were produced and how many are accounted for today?

idealassets

Reaction score
Ralf,
Thank you that looks more like it... With so many Guild urban legends going around its great to dispel just a few of them.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am not sure the F512-Spec is an accurate designation for this guitar. Mine looks identical and does not have it, and my understanding is that the Florentine inlays were standard for that model before the switch to block/triangle inlays occurred.

Butch

Reaction score
Guild produced a catalog that had a picture (artist rendition) of John Denver playing an F50 R on the cover. They described the F 512 in that catalog but there was no picture. In the description it said that it had some type of special inlay. I can't remember the exact verbage. This would have been in 1973 or '74. I will have to see if I can find that catalog.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild produced a catalog that had a picture (artist rendition) of John Denver playing an F50 R on the cover. They described the F 512 in that catalog but there was no picture. In the description it said that it had some type of special inlay. I can't remember the exact verbage. This would have been in 1973 or '74. I will have to see if I can find that catalog.
It was the catalog number 7155-C, page 10. "Same specification as F-412, but with selected aged rosewood sides and back - plus the customized elegance of inlayed mother-of-pearl figures on the fingerboard." The catalog had no year number on it but by whatever reason I have it filed as 1971 catalog.

Ralf

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It was the catalog number 7155-C, page 10. "Same specification as F-412, but with selected aged rosewood sides and back - plus the customized elegance of inlayed mother-of-pearl figures on the fingerboard." The catalog had no year number on it but by whatever reason I have it filed as 1971 catalog.

Ralf

That info was already given in the '69 catalog as mentioned on page 130 of 'The Guild Guitar Book'.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Butch

Reaction score
I would have picked up that catalog when I was in 7th grade so it would have been 1972 or 73. I remember looking at that catalog dreaming of one day owning an F50R and an F512.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry! Got side tracked when I noticed the F-512 inlay remarks and more or less overlooked your earlier question!

Yes, that's an F-612 that Pete is playing!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

wow i had no idea! I love this info too. So he played this F612 on Who's Next....

Pete Townshend has used a Guild F-612XL 12-string guitar on most solo and Who recordings beginning with 1971’s Who’s Next. He purchased this guitar from Manny’s in New York. Prior to 1971, he had used a Harmony Sovereign H1270 12-string. He continues to use this guitar for stage performances today. (Pete may also own other Guild F-512 models.)

According to Guild Guitar Book, by Hans Moust:

The 18″-wide F-612 was only produced for a limited period and it was never featured in any of the regular catalogs. The guitar was introduced in the ’72 price list, but models from as early as 1970, some with very attractive Brazilian rosewood, are known to exist.

Pete currently has this guitar fitted with Fishman Acoustic Matrix pickup system.

Kind of lost 15 or so mins in that article while at work, found this nugget re a Gibson J200 be bought new from manny's in 1968 while working on tommy...

Pete used this guitar for writing and recording on virtually everything beginning in 1968 until 1989’s Iron Man. He brought the original Gibson J-200 with him everywhere until 1979...

"I'm sittin' in the Sheraton Gibson playin' my Gibson"...

Pete Townshend said he wrote this after BBQing with Joe Walsh and his friend after doing a show in Cleveland. He was sitting in The Sheraton in Pittsburg.

https://youtu.be/ZUASUTR8Nv0

Last edited:

maxr

Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw a photo of an F-512 with curly 'banjo' fingerboard inlays similar to the F-612, rather than block inlays. Do those come from before a certain date?

Thanks, Max

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw a photo of an F-512 with curly 'banjo' fingerboard inlays similar to the F-612, rather than block inlays. Do those come from before a certain date?

The early F512s all had those inlays until the early 1970s, when the block/triangle inlays became standard for that model.

Not sure exactly when, but probably around ‘71-‘72.