My First Hoboken Guild

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Speakin' o' which, whatever happened to that Blue Nightbird?

It's sitting in the corner learning its lesson.

I'm trying to get rid of some of these guitars and some of them need to be written up before they go. The Blue Nightbird is in the "keeper" pile, so it's not getting my full attention at the moment. I need to take a full set of pics before I have it fixed.

Also my attention clearly has deficits and ooh look a Starfire!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I disagree that a quality refinish job is a desecration to a guitar. The truth be known we can all dream about a "mint condition" early guitar out there- just waiting for us to buy it, but we may be in the hunt for a very long time.

It's a collector vs. player thing. As a collector I'll pay more for an original finish. As a player I want it to feel and play like a million bucks and if a refin gets me there I'm OK with it. I just won't pay collector prices for it.

Finding mint guitars from the '80s is getting to be damn hard, never mind the '60s!

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, and thanks again Hans! Great eye as always.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I posted a little late to the party. Sorry about the refin and Korean Pickups man! Gotta check everything just to be safe. So glad you found out before it made the trip!

TX

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If that has the humped headstock, the pickguard looks wrong too. Maybe a Gibsondependable special?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess it's not my first Hoboken Guild after all.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone. Someday I'll get it right.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
red label might suggest refinish overspray. I hope not though, it sure is pretty!

I had to set them straight at GC one time when they called me with a '66 Hummingbird. I went to see it and I said "This guitar has been re-finished." "Oh, no" says the kid "that's the original finish." I pointed out that the new finish had seeped under the binding, turning it partially red on the edges. He says, "Nah, it probably left the factory like that..." I said "Not in 1966, it didn't!"

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Binding Bleed" is a pretty common issue on some year Historic Les Pauls. I had a 2004 that had this issue. I've read that it was somehow vintage correct, though maybe that was just the red dye they used.

PinkBinding-Before.jpg