Boy this place is dull on the weekends!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool video, great seats!

But man, what is it with people at concerts today? It's not about YOU and how many times YOU can yell during a song. LISTEN! Trey is solo acoustic, for gosh sakes - LISTEN! Or at least let those around you hear him play...

Sorry - had to rant - I don't know when this started, but I remember seeing acoustic shows like CSN, etc. and people listened to the song, and yelled when it was over.

walrus

Hello

As mixing engineer I sit either in the middle of audience or way back. In both cases I always see phone screens, that are facing back while cameras are facing to stage. For anybody right behind that person holding the camera it must be really horrendous. And when the people look at what they got later on their computer or even worse - on the phone screen - the result is a pathetically pale reminiscence of a concert they might have enjoyed instead of "photographing". Not to mention the sh####y sound.

I keep telling how I was - way back - in Minneapolis Guthrie Theatre Walker Art Center - hope I remember that right - that held about 700 - there was this elderly guy on stage with his nylon-string guitar - I was sitting on second row and could hear the reflection from back wall - it was flue-time - some folks were coughing - he threw an angry eye towards them and they were silenced. No microphones to be seen on stage - so no loudspeakers either. As much as I have been interested in sound reproduction - studio and live - I truly enjoyed that concert.

He spoke once - he replaced one song with another - we had concert leaflets with song list. My partner had seen him 7 times before and he never ever spoke - bowed when he came and again when he was done. So this time he said : "I am having terrible problems with tuning of my guitar, so I am going to substitute "A" with "B" . . ."

After he was done he stood up, bowed and started to walk towards left - he came to side wall that was all panels and the door was not visible - he stopped about 6 feet before the wall and gazed to his left and right - until that door opened and he could get out from the stage. It certainly looked a bit funny - especially him wearing very thick glasses and so obviously being nearsighted - however nobody in the audience let out the slightest sound of laugh or anything else. We all respected him for what he just had done for us.

Thank you for fine evening Andrés Segovia.

And like Walrus so rightfully writes - would it finally be time to let us and others enjoy the performance on stage.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool video, great seats!

But man, what is it with people at concerts today? It's not about YOU and how many times YOU can yell during a song. LISTEN! Trey is solo acoustic, for gosh sakes - LISTEN! Or at least let those around you hear him play...

Sorry - had to rant - I don't know when this started, but I remember seeing acoustic shows like CSN, etc. and people listened to the song, and yelled when it was over.

walrus

I seem to recall videos of people sitting and listening to Led Zeppelin!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I'll second your rant. I, too, remember when going to a concert meant LISTENING to the performer(s).
I rarely go to concerts anymore because of the asinine behavior of some attendees.
*Has nothing to do with age...I've always felt this way.

Doc Watson had the best response to this type behavior. Doc said, "Yeah buddy, I remember when I had MY first beer." :victorious:

Joe

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool video, great seats!

walrus
I know what you mean, J-man!! When I was a kid or middle aged, or even now.... as soon as they play (some exceptions, which they plan for) I suck back in my seat and LISTEN so hard!! These are the things that dreams are made of. Maybe a different generation or something.... but I understand the local (to the phone) guys getting excited. I do remember being at the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary concert with my bro and sis in law. Some people behind started SCREAMING the lyrics. Of course my bro expressed his displeasure to ME. Then EYE, in my usual style, turned around and screamed, "WE CAME TO HEAR THEM, NOT YOU MF's!!!" They actually simmered down a lot. And my meek and mild brother was happy. Leave it to me to do the dirty work, why don't you!! LOL!!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Drove from Central Jersey up to Albany, NY for the indoor TQ Midget Racing at the Times Union Center. Had a great time!

Drove home Sunday morning.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You're building a GT6+... together?

Yep, in my Dad's garage, so he's along for the ride with advice and gets parts sand blasted for us and other tasks I can't do during the work week. We got the car completely disassembled when we bought it. Now it's putting it all together. It has been annoying to find that some of the parts are NOT for this car, but some other Triumph. Luckily, we have a donor car that IS a GT6, of the previous year to steal from. I think my wife gets a kick out of the reactions of fellow lady teachers, when she tells them she was working on her old British sports car over the weekend.

Reaction score
I'm new here but am gonna reply.. I played my FrankenPilot and was pretty happy. So then tonight I figured I am happy with the neck my friend made, and happy with the passive EMG's. So I took it back apart and started sanding the body since I'm gonna put expensive bass in the case and use it at rehearsal and for recording. As I was sanding I realized I have know idea on how to tell the difference between Poplar wood and Agithis(sp?) I don't even know if this body is a Guild or a DeArmond. Are there any identifiers in the two different woods?

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Yep, in my Dad's garage, so he's along for the ride with advice and gets parts sand blasted for us and other tasks I can't do during the work week. We got the car completely disassembled when we bought it. Now it's putting it all together. It has been annoying to find that some of the parts are NOT for this car, but some other Triumph. Luckily, we have a donor car that IS a GT6, of the previous year to steal from. I think my wife gets a kick out of the reactions of fellow lady teachers, when she tells them she was working on her old British sports car over the weekend.

Just like a guitar thread, this will require pictures. Those are great cars!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooo I used to live in Albnay :)

So then you know about DeWitt Clinton and his steamboat and his coalman Benjamin. The boat was sailing up the Hudson River and old Dewitt thought it looked like a good place to stop so he yelled down to below decks "That's all, Benny".

(I was actually much closer to Schenectady but there are no good Schenectady jokes. Indeed some people, usually from NYC, claim Schenectady is a joke).

On the original topic, moderation has its ebbs and flows and Monday mornings are often a time for concern because various people do not check LTG over the weekend and it is almost inevitable that they will restart a topic that caused concern but had tapered out by Saturday. Kind of like me responding to this thread?

On concert etiquette, I attended something that was billed as a concert Saturday but the performer treated it like a nightclub gig. That was kind of nice because there was a high level of spontaneity and interaction but if I had wanted to hang on every note and compare the live performance to my memory I would have been unhappy.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Brought my Guilds to Luthier for setup and tried out some Waterloos in his shop (they are sweet). Had an acoustic jam. Got sucked into watching Olympics ... slow weekend ... nice.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I went to a Skynard concert and hollered Freebird!

Sorry.