Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: F40 Valencia questions , Al ?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Wouldn't it be same shape as Rampix's posted over in the "F40 Lovers In Unite" thread?
    Yes, that's it. And as much as I like my '74, his also features my all time favorite finish.

    Excuse me while I clean up this spot of drool!
    > Guilds: '73 F-30R / '74 F-40nt / '76 G-37bld / '92 D-6nt-hg / '94 JF-30nt / '97 Starfire III / '14 Savoy A-150b
    > Gibsons: '22 "A" Mandolin / '66 ES-125T / '66 Epi Cortez (B-25) / '90 Tennessean / '00 J-100xt / '02 J-45 RW / '02 SG / '09 ES-339 / '10 ES-330L / '11 ES-335 P90s / '12 ES-330 VOS / '12 LP Special / '12 J-185 / '13 LG-2 / '13 Midtown Kalamazoo / '14 J-15 / '15 J-50
    > Epis: '00 AIUSA Sheraton / '05 McCartney Texan / '09 Elitist Casino
    > Martins: '00 OOO-16 / '01 Custom RW D

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Wouldn't it be same shape as Rampix's posted over in the "F40 Lovers In Unite" thread?:



    Still kinda flat on bottom but a little rounder in the curves, especially the upper bout?
    I like that color :)

  3. #13
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    22,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    I like that color :)
    You'n'everybody else that sees it.


    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  4. #14
    Thereís a gf50 for sale on verb 1990 for 1900 with dings and dents I donít know enough but it feels just we bit high ?

  5. #15
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    22,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    Thereís a gf50 for sale on verb 1990 for 1900 with dings and dents I donít know enough but it feels just we bit high ?
    I think that's been commented on before if it's the one I'm thinking of.. Arizona? No good shots of action height?
    Seem to recall comments it looks like a likely candidate for a reset?
    Yeah I think $1900's probably high too but I'd consult a Vintage Guitar Bluebook to verify my suspicion.
    The old saw comes to mind: Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's particularly valuable.
    If I was truly in the hunt I'd probably be looking for a Tacoma F40 or even a CV (no MIRC's though. If they ain't virgin I want 'em at least to have been "A" stock with a real s/n on the label), for being young enough to have a lot pf good years left and because of the virtually universal positive feedback about Tacoma-builts here.
    If it was hanging in a shop I'd give it a fair try even though I think I want a 24-3/4 scale, and as far as I can tell they only put those on the F45ce, and a couple of other pre-'94 Fxxce's
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    I think that's been commented on before if it's the one I'm thinking of.. Arizona? No good shots of action height?
    Seem to recall comments it looks like a likely candidate for a reset?
    Yeah I think $1900's probably high too but I'd consult a Vintage Guitar Bluebook to verify my suspicion.
    The old saw comes to mind: Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's particularly valuable.
    If I was truly in the hunt I'd probably be looking for a Tacoma F40 or even a CV (no MIRC's though. If they ain't virgin I want 'em at least to have been "A" stock with a real s/n on the label), for being young enough to have a lot pf good years left and because of the virtually universal positive feedback about Tacoma-builts here.
    If it was hanging in a shop I'd give it a fair try even though I think I want a 24-3/4 scale, and as far as I can tell they only put those on the F45ce, and a couple of other pre-'94 Fxxce's
    Cv is a good choice I understand the A stock but if money is an issue Iíd consider the Mirc as their are some good ones also the neck mounting issue runs both A or B stock from the pics Iíve seen .

    Anyway I canít complain about mine at all itís still my go to guitar , go figure ? Maybe itís a bond of ďweíre both rejects ď do we gravitate towards each other lol

    Random though on the F40 has me wondering how it would compare to the NH F30 I had to send back ? It sure did sound good and I keep on thinking about it lol

  7. #17
    Let switch topics for a sec . Does Guild have a letter grade for back and side woods ?

  8. #18
    Senior Member Westerly Wood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tucson, but wish it was Idaho or even Poland
    Posts
    5,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    Let switch topics for a sec . Does Guild have a letter grade for back and side woods ?
    like F30R or F50R that designated rosewood. I dont know of many others...
    Wood

    1971 D25 Br--ol' Flattop
    2008 Santa Cruz D/PWM--wife's

    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    like F30R or F50R that designated rosewood. I dont know of many others...
    No sorry I mean wood grade . Tops are rated AAA or AAAA I believe as far Guild specs go that Iíve seen but you donít really see a grade for back and sides .

  10. #20
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    22,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    No sorry I mean wood grade . Tops are rated AAA or AAAA I believe as far Guild specs go that Iíve seen but you donít really see a grade for back and sides .
    I don't recall ever seeing B/S woods graded like tops were, and only recall seeing "AAA" as the highest grade.
    According to their grading scale, which as you may recall is seen by some here as being more stringent than a lot of other makers.
    I've posted it before but in case you missed it, in Westerly's case at least, thank Willie Fritsch:
    http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/...dselection.pdf
    One of their advantages was that they were small enough to go directly to suppliers, bypassing brokers and mass lots of possibly sub-par wood.
    I don't think their volume requirements changed so much even after Westerly that that was discontinued.
    If anything volume went down after Westerly.
    Judging by reports of New Hartford top quality it appears their grading standards remained intact.

    Custom Shop material may have been higher graded, I just don't recall seeing "AAAA" though.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •