S200 traditional or stop tail?

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Should be in the market for a Thunderbird soon. I much prefer the traditional version for cosmetic reasons. I'll be switching out the pickups for a set of TV Jones. I've re-read the string of posts about the switches on GAD's guitar and I have some concerns there. So, looking for input that might sway my thinking one way or another: Stop tail or traditional? Any strong opinions out there? (Oy, look who I'm asking that.)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a traditional in my possession and my vote is 100% stop tail. The Hagstrom tailpiece sucked in the '60s and it sucks now. I'd bolt mine down but I bought it used and it didn't come with the bolt.

The switches are cool and you can do some interesting things with them, but I'll take the simplified controls and stop tail any day.

I'm trying to track down a red one to write up but they seem to be nowhere to be found.

matsickma

Reaction score
I recently picked up a red TBird with hard stop and also purchased a redish tortoise pickguard for Franz pups. Made the swap of pickups and pickguard. Still need to tweak the pickup allignment. I plan to add Vol and Tone controls for each pickup and a Guildsby.

I don't mind the Hagstrom trem but you have to limit it's use to doing subtle pitch dips. Can't treat it as a whammy bar. Since I was weened on one in the '60's I can work with them.

Note...red TBirds with a hard stop are only sold at Sam Ash.
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know the Red T-birds are Sam-Ash only, but they don't have them on their website. Do I have to go to a physical store?

matsickma

Reaction score
I see what you mean. They used to have them on line.
I suspect they will soon be offered everywhere. Sam Ash exclusive access to red TBirds with hard stop is likely time limited.

Were you able to open the link and see the TBird I got and modified. I still can't figure out hiw to get imgur pictures in the LTG text box.
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
When posting the pic I right click the image and "Copy image location" (Your browser may be different) then click the image icon here on LTG and paste that into the pop-up.

Cool that you made your own thing. I like the black pick guard for the contrast but switching to the P90s is very cool.

O5YyVvY.jpg

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The hagstrom trem isn't a bad design per se, it's just implemented as badly as it was in the 60's : the supplied spring is too soft. I wouldn't know where to get a stiffer spring, but I am willing to bet it would solve 99% of what's wrong with the vibrato.

matsickma

Reaction score
Walter, I will have to try the spring upgrade on the "tremer".

GAD...since this is a Guild forum I have to correct you...not P90's but "frequency tested" single coil Franz pickups.

Since Guild identify Alinco II and Alinco V magnets on their surface mount and recessed mounted Franz pickups the ones I mounted are the surface mounted Alinico II pickups with swapped covers.

It seems that the gold pole pickups are Alinco V and chrome pole are Alinco II.

In reality I don't know if they really changed the magnets.
M

matsickma

Reaction score
I was originally thinking of adding the Franz pup's and pickguard to a black TBird. That would also look cool.
Maybe I'll try it sometime. Swapping pickguards is a little more work with the Franz pups cause they are not attached to the pickguard. Not sure if the routing on the Hagstrom vibrato bodies are wide enough to fit Franz pups. Will have to check that out.
M

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I removed the arm from my T-bird's repro Hagstrom. It's perfectly stable this way, as are the de-armed Bigsbys in two of my '70s SGs. I'm fine with the switching…works just like a Fender Jag.

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter, I will have to try the spring upgrade on the "tremer".

GAD...since this is a Guild forum I have to correct you...not P90's but "frequency tested" single coil Franz pickups.

Since Guild identify Alinco II and Alinco V magnets on their surface mount and recessed mounted Franz pickups the ones I mounted are the surface mounted Alinico II pickups with swapped covers.

It seems that the gold pole pickups are Alinco V and chrome pole are Alinco II.

In reality I don't know if they really changed the magnets.
M

I knew someone would have to correct me on that.:emmersed:
I love Alnico II P90s. I bet it roars though a Fender Deluxe!

DThomasC

Reaction score
I hate you guys. Now I'm jonesing for a T-Bird with the Hagstrom and all the switches. It's the only way I'll nail Auerbach's sound, which wasn't a goal until just now... You guys suck.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I had the first reissue T-bird and sold it to a friend, and now have a beautiful white one with a stop tailpiece and simplified electronics. My friend still can't figure out the switching on his, even though I have explained it to him three times. I like this second one a LOT better. That Hagstrom trem was a complete dog.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I think the whole "this switching system is too complicated!" hangup is something guitar players learn. It's almost part of the culture. Yet we often have no problem menuing, scrolling & button pressing our way around programmable effects gizmos. :)

-Dave-

DrumBob

Reaction score
I think the whole "this switching system is too complicated!" hangup is something guitar players learn. It's almost part of the culture. Yet we often have no problem menuing, scrolling & button pressing our way around programmable effects gizmos. :)

-Dave-

The switching system is really very easy, once you figure it out. Back in the day, when I had my two original S-200s, I couldn't figure it out either. Now, it's no sweat.