Long Time Gone - Tom Jones w/ Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young 1969

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That is a classic clip - love how much it seems they are enjoying themselves - Crosby in particular. Probably high ("probably"?!). It beats the lip syncing choreography of today's TV performances! Thanks!

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some of band members backed Stills for Manassas album, and I think those are the dudes that did Deja Vus too, the drummer, bass player.

I loved that album (Manassas). 1972 and I think Stills' crowning career achievement :)

https://youtu.be/Yz4WDVHItbc

cool stuff.

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I'm not the world's biggest Tom Jones fan....but I thought the clip was cool and love CSN&Y. Tom Jones has a bunch of clips of his musical guests on ....yes...his own youtube channel lol. Check it out https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialTomJones

I will say....I've never seen Tom Jones do a more impressive vocal performance than in the provided clip. Pretty awesome. And yes...David Crosby doesn't look stoned.....it looks like he is downright tripping.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Some of band members backed Stills for Manassas album, and I think those are the dudes that did Deja Vus too, the drummer, bass player.
Drummer Dallas Taylor yes but bassist Greg Reeves didn't play in Manassas as far as I know, was Fuzzy Samuels who sadly has no Wiki page.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Drummer Dallas Taylor yes but bassist Greg Reeves didn't play in Manassas as far as I know, was Fuzzy Samuels who sadly has no Wiki page.

ah right, Fuzzy. But Dallas Taylor was in Manassas for sure. anyway, Johnny's Garden is nearly a perfect song.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That was CSNY, along with Greg Reeves on bass and Dallas Taylor on drums. That's the band for Deja Vu (along with appearances on the record by John Sebastian and Jerry Garcia).

Dallas Taylor was in Manassas, as was Johnny Barbata (for tours) as well as Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuels. Barbata and Samuels went out with CSNY for the 4-Way Street tour, and get a shout-out on the album: "You just heard two dudes cook real hard..."

Chris Hillman really pushed Stills, and I think that's why the first Manassas album is so good.

Give a listen to Pieces - outtakes, unreleased, and different versions of Manassas material - it's pretty good, too.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris Hillman really pushed Stills, and I think that's why the first Manassas album is so good.

interesting. tell me more about that, if you know...Amazing Stills was just 24 when he did that album. But so much experience by then, he started so young...still, amazing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
interesting. tell me more about that, if you know...Amazing Stills was just 24 when he did that album. But so much experience by then, he started so young...still, amazing.

Wiki is once again your friend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manassas_(band)
(Ok, details more about how they hooked up than any artistic influence Hillman might have wielded, but his creds alone speak for themselves.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wiki is once again your friend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manassas_(band)
(Ok, details more about how they hooked up than any artistic influence Hillman might have wielded, but his creds alone speak for themselves.

thanks Al, gives me some light reading now at work...

"Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman, a friend of both Hillman and Stills who visited Criteria during the sessions, was an early fan of the band, at one point expressing an interest in joining. (Wyman would contribute to the sessions by helping Stills re-write his to-date unrecorded song from 1968, “Bumblebee,” as the blues/funk tune “The Love Gangster,” with Wyman also playing bass on the track.)"

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Stills was/is a notorious tyrant in the recording studio (listen to him at the beginning of this recording of "Blackbird").

In a band like CSN/CSNY, the other towering egos probably don't respond well to playing sidemen on what is essentially a Stills album, as was the first CS&N record.

I'm not sure how he did it, but I think Hillman got Stills to be much more collaborative and adventuresome. Remember that Hillman wrangled both Roger McGuinn and Gram Parsons during his tenure with The Byrds, so I'm sure he was accustomed to dealing with egos. Further, the sidemen assembled for that first Manassas album (which started life as Stills' third solo album), were really strong.

Bill Wyman co-wrote and played bass on "Love Gangster", and said he would have left the Stones for Manassas if they stayed together.

I agree with your observation that it is Stills' best work.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bill Wyman co-wrote and played bass on "Love Gangster", and said he would have left the Stones for Manassas if they stayed together.

Wow! That is an amazing story right here. I had no clue Wyman and Stills were so close. Thanks for the cool info!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Stills was/is a notorious tyrant in the recording studio

I saw this movie once, i forget the name, i think CSN are in some bungalo in LA, and Crosby is lying down on a hammoc. He says something and Stills immediately jumps down his throat, while Crosby is just a deer in headlights, something about Crosby not living up to his mantra song, Almost Cut My Hair etc...Yeah, the longer Stills got into drugs and coke, I think the worse his natural a-hole tendencies started to take over. As happens with most...

But for a while, I bet it was fun.

I was at the concert in Rhode Island when Crosby showed up late in a bus (Cros talks about it in his book), after the concert had already started. This would have been like 85 ish, I dont remember. Anyway, Nash told the crowd to yell "You're Late"! at Dave when he got onstage. Crosby was barely coherent. Just stood like a zombie on stage and sang his bits. At one point, he asks the others that he wants to play one of his solo songs, and Nash just screams at him, furious. It was surreal to watch.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I always liked Tom Jones! And FWIW, my mother loved him!

As was pointed out with his "guest" list, it was a show worth watching. Add this one to the Johnny Cash Show and The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour as shows I watched as a young kid, and really got me into music.

If only there were shows like this today...

walrus

marcellis

Reaction score
TJ is a Jerry Lee Lewis fan. I’ve seen them performing together a few times.

A fun story is the first time Tom Jones met John Lennon.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A fun story is the first time Tom Jones met John Lennon.

quote-she-forced-me-to-become-avant-garde-and-take-my-clothes-off-when-all-i-wanted-was-to-be-tom-jones-john-lennon-246780.jpg

CA-35

Reaction score
"Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman, a friend of both Hillman and Stills who visited Criteria during the sessions

OK no one will believe this but when I was 11 and thru to my 12th year (1971-1972) I lived about 3 miles from Criteria Studios which was located at 149st street and West Dixie Highway in North Miami Beach. Now at the time I did not know it was a recording studio but I used to ride my bicycle from my house down a side street called 17th avenue which crossed West Dixie Highway, to an apartment complex where I would get my haircut from a guy named Bobby. My sister who was 5 years older than me turned me on to him and I thought it was cool that he cut hair in his apartment. Anyway I would then ride home and always took the same path by this building that always had motorhomes and musical pieces outside or being transferred from the building to and from the trucks. There were always about 6 to 7 guys outside smoking cigarettes and weed. It wreaked from weed. I will never forget the faces, and the hair, and the clothes. And the smell of weed. I finally asked the hair cutter Bobby about the place and he said yeah that's a recording studio Stephen Stills records there. Of course at 12 I had no idea who Stephen Stills was. The building is still there today although I don't think its called Criteria anymore.

Last edited: