Guild sighting D-25 BR

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I went out to see PI Power Trio tonight (Pat Irwin), and this band was opening up for them. I was at the opposite end of the bar and immediately noticed the BR!! of course i went right up and took some pics.

After the set I asked the gentleman if it was a 1971 D-25 BR? he replied "it is a 1966, i have had it since i was 13 years old, and yes it does say BR on the label...but i dont know much about it, however, my lead guitar player knows everything about it, so you should talk to him"

well, i didnt really know who his lead guitar player was, and pretty clear at this point the D-25 BR is 1968-1972, and would only have that headstock overlay together with that TRC, together with that gold peaked logo, in 1971 (99 percent, i think).

anyway i am so happy to see one being gigged right in the middle of town (New York's Lower East Side)!!

DJ88Ly.jpg

DAZzxw.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Mavuser:
Thanks for the great pictures and D25 timeline lesson. The gentleman playing it has the look of someone who loves music.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thanks. the name of this band is "Azro Cady" that is all i know about them. i saw them for about 10 minutes (all BR infused!)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
well, i didnt really know who his lead guitar player was, and pretty clear at this point the D-25 BR is 1968-1972, and would only have that headstock overlay together with that TRC, together with that gold peaked logo, in 1971 (99 percent, i think).
And if you go back and refresh the D25 page in The Guild Guitar Book you'll note that when introduced it was only offered in Cherry and Mahogany.
Not sure when BRown was introduced but I suspect '71, since there's so many of 'em here.
Hans does show a BR in the book but I think it's dated "mid-70's". (book's not here where I post from)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Al, i own a 1970 BR and iirc have seen one from 1968. CH and BR were simultaneous on the flat backs.

the later arch backs were "D-25 M" if the spruce top was painted mahogany and "D-25 Cherry" was still cherry (the entire guitar)

i think in todays world the "BR" more just tells us that it is a flat back full/solid mahogany top model (but the cherry flat backs 1968-1972 are super cool!) no matter what the label says (or does not say), and there is definitely some variation over the 4-5 years- in color- of both the BR and the Cherry on the flat back, and some orangey in between shades as well. this is the greatest dread of them all, to me.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, i own a 1970 BR and iirc have seen one from 1968. CH and BR were simultaneous on the flat backs.
I know we've talked about the "BR" before and I trust your assessment of your instrument and some others, but if you have the book, check the page.
That's all I'm saying and all I know for sure, that that's what it says, "Cherry and Mahogany"
Because I just refreshed on it last week.
(no snark intended)
So is it possible it's an error?
Sure we know he had incorrect info about when the archbacks were actually introduced and it made it into the book, but since he shows a separate pic of a D25 in Brown from a later period, one would expect his specific identification of "Mahogany and Cherry" as finish colors when introduced is accurate.
I still believe some of the D25's that didn't get a color ID on the label were because they were "natural" 'hog tops.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember the CH being a color designation of the spruce-top archback D-25's; they were quite red compared to my D-25M, which was more of a wine color. This was mid-70's.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know we've talked about the "BR" before and I trust your assessment of your instrument and some others, but if you have the book, check the page.
That's all I'm saying and all I know for sure, that that's what it says, "Cherry and Mahogany"
Because I just refreshed on it last week.
(no snark intended)
So is it possible it's an error?
Sure we know he had incorrect info about when the archbacks were actually introduced and it made it into the book, but since he shows a separate pic of a D25 in Brown from a later period, one would expect his specific identification of "Mahogany and Cherry" as finish colors when introduced is accurate.
I still believe some of the D25's that didn't get a color ID on the label were because they were "natural" 'hog tops.

yes they were cherry and mahogany in color.

not questioning anything in the book.

what the labels say, or do not say, from this time period, is another story.

if you are looking to assess "mahogany" vs "natural" vs "brown" for the D-25 during 1968-1972, when any or all of them may have appeared, during which years, and what each of their labels may or may not have said during any given year from this span, for each of those perceived differnt finishes, i'm afraid I speak for the rest of the group when I say, "you likely sail that ship alone"

suffice it to say if you have a nice 1968-1972 flat back mahogany top D-25 that says the word "cherry" or "CH" on the label, that one is a little different for sure- and should be, as one seller appropriately put it "insanely bright red," and in that scenario (that of owning one), you are doing pretty good!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
if you are looking to assess "mahogany" vs "natural" vs "brown" for the D-25 during 1968-1972, when any or all of them may have appeared, during which years, and what each of their labels may or may not have said during any given year from this span, for each of those perceived differnt finishes, i'm afraid I speak for the rest of the group when I say, "you likely sail that ship alone"

Well I'm used to that.
:biggrin-new: