This has to stop.

beecee

Reaction score
I apologize for the volume of posts recently but darn it here we go again.

When I picked up the D-25 yesterday I ran into a guy I'd not seen in some time. We got to chatting for a bit and he had no idea I played guitar...(if he ever heard me he'd know he was right!!).

Told him I was partial to Guilds.

So: I just got a call from an acquaintance of his who has a 1973 F-512. Said he heard I like gits and Guilds in particular. Claims it is mint, he's owned it since new. Prefers not to go the ebay route and figures I'd be fair based on our mutual acquaintances recommendation as he no longer wants it.

Didn't see much on reverb or sold on ebay.

I sold an old MG in the fall so I have room and funds for now, (yeah guitars take up a lot less space).

Figure if it is really clean and I don't bond with it that it should be made available here.

So, what's an old F-512 worth assuming ohs case and no neck reset needed? If I don't keep I'd sell here at cost plus shipping.

Again sorry for the verbal diarrhea.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I apologize for the volume of posts recently but darn it here we go again.

When I picked up the D-25 yesterday I ran into a guy I'd not seen in some time. We got to chatting for a bit and he had no idea I played guitar...(if he ever heard me he'd know he was right!!).

Told him I was partial to Guilds.

So: I just got a call from an acquaintance of his who has a 1973 F-512. Said he heard I like gits and Guilds in particular. Claims it is mint, he's owned it since new. Prefers not to go the ebay route and figures I'd be fair based on our mutual acquaintances recommendation as he no longer wants it.

I sold an old MG in the fall so I have room and funds for now, (yeah guitars take up a lot less space).

Figure if it is really clean and I don't bond with it that it should be made available here.

So, what's an old F-512 worth assuming ohs case and no neck reset needed? If I don't keep I'd sell here at cost plus shipping.

Again sorry for the verbal diarrhea.

FWIW...the 2018 Vintage Guitar Price Guide declares F-512 1970-1979 is (excellent) $1525 - $2000. Mind you all of their 'prices' refer to excellent low to excellent high and ymmv.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Boy I have to get me some friends lol

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Do you mean on the fret board?

Thanks Kitarkus!

yes...and I've been called worse...

if it by some chance it has the F-612 inlays and it is truly in mint condition...$3,500 and up

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....So: I just got a call from an acquaintance of his who has a 1973 F-512.... Claims it is mint....

I'm sure there will be LTGers interested in acquiring that if you decide it's not right for you. :eagerness:

....he no longer wants it.

Don't know what to say. :emptiness: His loss, your gain....

There's a lot of demand and no supply. The few NOS available are grossly overpriced. Like $3,500?

I sold an old MG in the fall so I have room and funds for now....

Man, I've had TDs, BGTs, and Bs. Love those MGs!

So, what's an old F-512 worth assuming ohs case and no neck reset needed?

FWIW...the 2018 Vintage Guitar Price Guide declares F-512 1970-1979 is (excellent) $1525 - $2000. Mind you all of their 'prices' refer to excellent low to excellent high and ymmv.

Seems about right. This is a 1973. A forty-five year old 12-string. If you get to try it before you buy it, man, you're in the driver's seat! Take your 18-inch steel ruler and put her through her paces. You best keep us all informed, and take lots of photos!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
beecee,

If it's really a '73, that's a pretty early model. Would be great to see what you're talking about there. If the guitar plays well and is in good condition, it could be worth near that $2K price point. Buying from an original owner is a very special transaction for both parties. Good luck, and whatever happens I hope it goes your way.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you're coming here expecting US to assist you in NOT acquiring more guitars, you may have been misinformed regarding our mission here. We're REALLY GOOD at spending other peoples money. I'm actually excited about this one if it's in good shape!! Run, don't walk, to evaluate!!! :encouragement:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"We can dance if we want to, We can leave your friends behind, Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance Well they're no friends of mine." In other words, Go for it! Hopefully that song doesn't get stuck in everyone's head that reads this. LOL:biggrin-new:

TX

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
I need to get me an MG to sell...

Seriously tho -- I am happy to live vicariously. I have a good feeling about this one for some reason. I think you're going to find a beauty. Keep us posted.

If you're coming here expecting US to assist you in NOT acquiring more guitars, you may have been misinformed regarding our mission here.

I know, right?

Site should be renamed: "Let's talk a little about the Guilds that we buy a lot of..."

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
Man, I've had TDs, BGTs, and Bs. Love those MGs!

It was a 70 BGT. Only year w/the split rear bumper, "newer" grill, which I liked.

He's out till Tuesday, I'm out of town till Wednesday and we're both swamped tomorrow. We had a nice chat late afternoon. He's not interested in casting a wide net to sell this. Won't change his standard of living either way so he's fine waiting for me as long as I bring the beverages,

beecee

Reaction score
If you're coming here expecting US to assist you in NOT acquiring more guitars, you may have been misinformed regarding our mission here. We're REALLY GOOD at spending other peoples money. I'm actually excited about this one if it's in good shape!! Run, don't walk, to evaluate!!! :encouragement:

I apologize I thought this was the intervention group.

Actually have no need for it, like I said last week, I'm not buying any guitars in 2018...at least not during Lent, except for the two that found me.

I was just going to play the part of enabler, boots on the ground as it were.

Stay tuned till Thursday or so!

Thanks all for the help so far!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I apologize I thought this was the intervention group.

Actually have no need for it, like I said last week, I'm not buying any guitars in 2018...at least not during Lent, except for the two that found me.

I was just going to play the part of enabler, boots on the ground as it were.

Stay tuned till Thursday or so!

Thanks all for the help so far!

when they fall right in your lap, local thru friends and guitar acquaintances...if the price is fair enough...it is very, very difficult to say no. especially when first dibs have been arranged, and the guitar has never made an appearance on the internet before. some things were just meant to be and thats not something I typically get in the way of. "maybe i was not meant to own this guitar forever; time will tell...but it sure appears i was meant to own it, at least for today"

happens to me all the time! including this week!! granted that was not for a $3,000 guitar, and usually isn't, but with that said...is likely a better investment than the MG...

to quote the great genius Herman Edwards..."You only need one of everything" (unless you are a member of LTG!)

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It was a 70 BGT. Only year w/the split rear bumper, "newer" grill, which I liked.

I had one like this, only British racing green.... I think that front bumper system looked great....

s-l1600.jpg

We had a nice chat late afternoon. He's not interested in casting a wide net to sell this. Won't change his standard of living either way so he's fine waiting for me as long as I bring the beverages....

That sounds.... acceptable. How are you going to settle on a price if you decide to make the investment? I said there should be interest here to take it off your hands, but fyi, it probably won't be me since I seem to have just bought two guitars in practically the past week, the second of which I haven't even mentioned anywhere.... :anonymous:

beecee

Reaction score
it probably won't be me since I seem to have just bought two guitars in practically the past week:

What is your point? See my ramblings on D-25 and F-412:biggrin-new:

How are you going to settle on a price if you decide to make the investment?

Good point. Not sure but like Mavuser says...some things were just meant to be and thats not something I typically get in the way of. "maybe i was not meant to own this guitar forever; time will tell...but it sure appears i was meant to own it, at least for today"

Ha, that last sentence should be everyones sig.

btw great B, love that color. I have old Jackson
Performer in that color

Last edited: