Guild "Trunk Show" at a music store in Tucson

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
From the Ad

"Ok, here's the story. Matt... our new Guild rep called us saying that he repoed 10 or so brand new in box guitars from another dealer. He asked if we wanted to buy them at a great price.. I said "Heck Yeah". So... 2-27 at 2PM Matt is going to show up with all these guitars.. literally in the trunk of his car... and you get first crack at them. "

Translation

A mom and pop guitar store got tired on the ongoing QA/QC issues with some of these Newark Street Series Import Guilds and said, "Come pick this junk up, I am tired of dealing with below grade Instruments with crooked headstock logos." Now Matt has to find a way to try and make cost off of them. LOL!
:biggrin-new:

Just Kidding but it is probably not far from the truth. By the way they all look to be Made in Korea instruments. Guild doesn't currently make Electrics in China IIRC.

TX

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From the Ad

"Ok, here's the story. Matt... our new Guild rep called us saying that he repoed 10 or so brand new in box guitars from another dealer. He asked if we wanted to buy them at a great price.. I said "Heck Yeah". So... 2-27 at 2PM Matt is going to show up with all these guitars.. literally in the trunk of his car... and you get first crack at them. "

Translation

A mom and pop guitar store got tired on the ongoing QA/QC issues with some of these Newark Street Series Import Guilds and said, "Come pick this junk up, I am tired of dealing with below grade Instruments with crooked headstock logos." Now Matt has to find a way to try and make cost off of them. LOL!
:biggrin-new:

Just Kidding but it is probably not far from the truth. By the way they all look to be Made in Korea instruments. Guild doesn't currently make Electrics in China IIRC.

TX

oh i bet you are right on there, i never considered that side to it :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I appreciate the humor, but "being repo'd" may say more about the other business and nothing about the quality of the product. Unless, of course, Inspector 11 was involved.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the humor, but "being repo'd" may say more about the other business and nothing about the quality of the product. Unless, of course, Inspector 11 was involved.
Yes in fact there could even be legal ramifications if the story was found to be untrue, so I doubt the story was made up.
There's also the issue of ascribing the background scenario to a Guild Sales rep, again there could be legal ramifications if found to be untrue.
"Repo'd" means something specific, as in repossessed as opposed to simply returned to the maker (via the local sales rep) for quality complaints..
And that was my first thought too, about its saying something about the other business.
Wondered if it was one of the big boxes like a GC?:
"Hey, we can't pay for 'em, sure go ahead and take 'em back"

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes in fact there could even be legal ramifications if the story was found to be untrue, so I doubt the story was made up.
There's also the issue of ascribing the background scenario to a Guild Sales rep, again there could be legal ramifications if found to be untrue.
"Repo'd" means something specific, as in repossessed as opposed to simply returned to the maker (via the local sales rep) for quality complaints..
And that was my first thought too, about its saying something about the other business.
Wondered if it was one of the big boxes like a GC?:
"Hey, we can't pay for 'em, sure go ahead and take 'em back"

the store in question where the trunk stop is is Instrument Music Shop, I believe a smaller national chain. There are 2 stores in Tucson. And the one by my house does carry MIC Guilds. Dude at shop did say they sent some folks to NAMM and are going to stock Guilds, but not US Guilds, MIC. hey at least it is something :)

if i was an electric player, i might drive over to check out the Guilds there. I keep hoping GC will pick up the Guild line but not looking likely.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
the store in question where the trunk stop is is Instrument Music Shop, I believe a smaller national chain. There are 2 stores in Tucson.
In fact they only appear to have the 2 stores in Tucson.
They are about as close to the "Mom &Pop" TX described in his post as one could get, no slam intended at TX.
Real point is that maybe this is an indicator of a new business model, that the big box stores really aren't the ideal marketing model.

And the one by my house does carry MIC Guilds. Dude at shop did say they sent some folks to NAMM and are going to stock Guilds, but not US Guilds, MIC. hey at least it is something :)
Makes me suspect that's how the Guild rep knew who they were and is nurturing the new relationship.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have seen a rather large amount of "Guild Rep" guitars both Import electrics/Acoustics and American Made Acoustics come up for sale in the last month from several different dealers in different parts of the country. This same thing happened in the weeks prior to Fender announcing the sale of Guild to Cordoba in 2014. Not trying to start a Frenzy or anything but could it be possible that Cordoba is clearing inventory of "Guild Rep" Guitars and other "B Stock" guitars we have seen listed in other threads recently in Anticipation of Selling Guild to another entity? Just spit balling here so take that for what it is worth but I am legitimately asking the question.

TX

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have seen a rather large amount of "Guild Rep" guitars both Import electrics/Acoustics and American Made Acoustics come up for sale in the last month from several different dealers in different parts of the country. This same thing happened in the weeks prior to Fender announcing the sale of Guild to Cordoba in 2014. Not trying to start a Frenzy or anything but could it be possible that Cordoba is clearing inventory of "Guild Rep" Guitars and other "B Stock" guitars we have seen listed in other threads recently in Anticipation of Selling Guild to another entity? Just spit balling here so take that for what it is worth but I am legitimately asking the question.

TX

It's a difference of opinion that makes horse races. I always attributed the "sell off" to the closing of New Hartford and my memory was that the closing and the sale to CMG were two distinct events, never publicly linked by anyone at FMIC. But since I don't remember when Tacoma stopped production relative to New Hartford starting there is much I think I remember that I should not trust.

There are other reasons to unload stock besides an impending sale of corporate restructure.

As long as we are speculating I should note that all the overstock B sales are for Newark Street electrics. No such thing on the acoustics. Donning my rose colored glasses perhaps this is a sign that CMG intends to bring production of Guild electrics back into the US?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
As long as we are speculating I should note that all the overstock B sales are for Newark Street electrics. No such thing on the acoustics. Donning my rose colored glasses perhaps this is a sign that CMG intends to bring production of Guild electrics back into the US?

With the Acoustics I mentioned both import and American made Guilds I was referring to the several ads listed on Reverb over the course of the last 3-4 weeks including and not limited to a New F40 Jumbo, D55, M20's and D20's, D40's etc... All of those guitars were listed "Guild Rep Guitars". There are also Guild Oxnard American Made Acoustics being listed as "B Stock" as well.

Here is a listing for an Oxnard M20E on Reverb from one of the same dealers that is selling the "B Stock" Basses and it is listed as a "B Stock" as well. This seller also has other American Made Guild Acoustics listed as "B Stock".

https://reverb.com/item/10554349-2017-usa-made-guild-m-20e-b-stock-natural-with-ohsc-and-free-shipping-0991

This is one of the listings on Reverb for a D40 Traditional from a Dealer who is selling several "Guild Representative Sample" American Oxnard Made acoustic models. He has several other models listed and has been advertising them for around a month now.

https://reverb.com/item/10540484-guild-usa-d-40e-traditional-sunburst-dreadnought-guitar-with-pickup-mint

I wasn't trying to speculate without cause. I was just curious as these seem to be popping up in different places along with import electrics. Thinking where there is smoke there may be at least a spark. The other thing that strikes me is that these guitars are all being listed by different dealers instead of "Acoustic Sales" in Oxnard which has been Guild/Cordoba's exclusive entity for selling "B Stock" and "Guild Rep" guitars since CMG bought Guild in 2014.

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The other thing that strikes me is that these guitars are all being listed by different dealers instead of "Acoustic Sales" in Oxnard which has been Guild/Cordoba's exclusive entity for selling "B Stock" and "Guild Rep" guitars since CMG bought Guild in 2014.
TX
I was wondering if those earlier refs were about that seller so thanks for clarifying.
Maybe we oughta start making nice to 'em here.
They might be tired of us beating up on 'em all the time.
:glee:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was wondering if those earlier refs were about that seller so thanks for clarifying.
Maybe we oughta start making nice to 'em here.
They might be tired of us beating up on 'em all the time.

my thinking too :)
but i think Tx might be onto something re we really have no idea what their plans are with the brand.
no visibility and odd that they would not want to come in here now and again and chime in. i believe we would be very welcoming.

griehund

Reaction score
Repoed means the goods was "not paid for". When a retailer is going under their suppliers are entitled to go and physically repossess inventory that is not paid for. Any merchandise that was not PIA or COD is up for grabs. If the stuff was paid for the vendor could buy it back from the retailer on the cheap under the table before the legal processes are set in motion. If the retailer is in fact going under everything in the store becomes the property of the bank.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
my thinking too :)
but i think Tx might be onto something re we really have no idea what their plans are with the brand.
no visibility and odd that they would not want to come in here now and again and chime in. i believe we would be very welcoming.

This is an interesting point. On the PRS owners forum I am on, there is a specific PRS employee ("Shawn"), who comments when appropriate, and in fact starts and comments on threads about new models, etc. He also owns PRS guitars, and will chime on on threads simply as a PRS owner.

I agree such a Guild representative would be welcome on LTG.

walrus

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
odd that they would not want to come in here now and again and chime in. i believe we would be very welcoming.

Not odd at all. CMG has official social media channels and anything they chose to say here would dilute that effort as well as give them a chance to make a faux pax they probably don't need. There is also the issue of LTG independence. Whatever integrity we have of being objective could be compromised if CMG were officially here.

There have been reports of CMG posting something elsewhere that certainly answered questions under discussion here.

You may have forgotten who owns the actual guitars some Newark Street releases (and one acoustic) were reverse engineered from. And just because they don't post and admit a corporate affiliation doesn't mean they aren't reading ;-)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You may have forgotten who owns the actual guitars some Newark Street releases (and one acoustic) were reverse engineered from. And just because they don't post and admit a corporate affiliation doesn't mean they aren't reading ;-)

:)

well, i know two shops here in Tucson are starting to carry their MIC stuff. the MIC acoustics have very good quality. as we all know. but that facility been up and running for years.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

It was discussed, offers were made but ultimately CMG preferred other channels for outgoing messages. Nevertheless they are aware of LTG and comments made here. Maybe they should reconsider their position although considering just how much money they make when a used or vintage Guild gets sold and how vocal some people are about never buying new they might get more bang for their buck elsewhere.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Very early on in "the game" a member (Was it Frono or Chaz? I considered it a credible source at the time) reported that Cordoba had said they would be "watching" this place.
(EDIT: I see Frono was posting while I was composing)
I can even recall some things Cordoba did that appeared to be "reactions" to comments made here. (The disclosure of the use of M&T neck joints after TXbumper's revelations comes to mind)
But let's face it we just ain't as sexy as Facebook.
And if I was working in Oxnard I suspect I'd be tempted to let this sleeping nest of hornets alone........ :glee:
Especially that nutcase who won't accept calling an F48 an F40.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It was discussed, offers were made but ultimately CMG preferred other channels for outgoing messages. Nevertheless they are aware of LTG and comments made here. Maybe they should reconsider their position although considering just how much money they make when a used or vintage Guild gets sold and how vocal some people are about never buying new they might get more bang for their buck elsewhere.

This is something that I have heard over and over and I don't really think it is completely true. The statement that LTG is not the Demographic they are trying to reach as LTG members prefer to not buy new Guilds and are a much older crowd. I would think I am part of the demographic they are trying to reach as I am in my early 40's with the income to purchase new American Guilds and would rather buy a new instrument with warranty as opposed to a used one without. The Majority of my New Hartford made Guilds in My signature were purchased new by me from authorized Guild dealers. I was as excited as anyone about New American Made Acoustics coming out of Oxnard and really wanted one until they got all shifty with the details. Where they messed up to me as a customer was starting off by trying to hide the change in build details of the first American made Acoustic models. After that I lost all trust in my favorite Guitar company so why would I take a chance by spending $3k plus on a product from a company that can't be straight forward with their customers? I have played several of the Oxnard made models and to me they just don't measure up to the New Hartford models I own. That coupled with the fact that there may be some unknown details come to light about the build aspects of a guitar years after I would have purchased it from them has been what has kept me away from buying a new Guild. I really hope they do succeed but for the mean time it will be without me as a customer. It is what it is I guess.

TX