Guild "Trunk Show" at a music store in Tucson

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This is something that I have heard over and over and I don't really think it is completely true. The statement that LTG is not the Demographic they are trying to reach as LTG members prefer to not buy new Guilds and are a much older crowd. I would think I am part of the demographic they are trying to reach as I am in my early 40's with the income to purchase new American Guilds and would rather buy a new instrument with warranty as opposed to a used one without. The Majority of my New Hartford made Guilds in My signature were purchased new by me from authorized Guild dealers. I was as excited as anyone about New American Made Acoustics coming out of Oxnard and really wanted one until they got all shifty with the details.
You'n'me, TX: The hornet's nest.
Kidding aside, I agree you are probably exactly the demographic they want especially discretionary income wise, and I'm probably it too because of the buy new with warranty thing as well.
But as percentage of total membership I do suspect we're in a pretty small minority.

Where they messed up to me as a customer was starting off by trying to hide the change in build details of the first American made Acoustic models. After that I lost all trust in my favorite Guitar company so why would I take a chance by spending $3k plus on a product from a company that can't be straight forward with their customers? I have played several of the Oxnard made models and to me they just don't measure up to the New Hartford models I own. That coupled with the fact that there may be some unknown details come to light about the build aspects of a guitar years after I would have purchased it from them has been what has kept me away from buying a new Guild. I really hope they do succeed but for the mean time it will be without me as a customer. It is what it is I guess.
TX

Angry hornet's nest.
:glee:

And for the moment I can't forgive 'em fro calling a 17" jumbo an F40.
What the h-ll didja do with them 16" body bucks, Cordoba?
:glee:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have been upfront from beginning I am not their target audience or demographic at all.
I would only buy used Guilds, preferably Westerly, but had I the $ for more Guilds, I would already own a NH D55 that is being sold here locally.
And I am even more likely to buy an MIC Guild due to price point coolness factor of that Jumbo Junior maple I played months ago. (that purchase would still help CMG).

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I will just chime in here for a moment...

Coupla weeks ago I attended the Joe Val Bluegrass Festival in Framingham, MA...yeah, I know, bluegrass in Massachusetts??? But a longtime event, and true to form we had snow on Friday night that caused airport problems for the performers...

A vendor from the metro Boston area had a number of new AMERICAN-MADE Guilds at his table. To try to hear one would have been like trying same at Guitar Center on Saturday morning...anyway, he had a beautiful sunburst D55 and a D40 Traditional there, among others. I cannot think the fit and finish of these guitars is any less than anything I saw from NH. The neck profile of the D55 was definately NH, maybe a touch bigger. Cannot report accurately on the D40 profile, but I found it comfortable. The D40 was stupid cheap, and even asked him to repeat the price...still wonder if it was a mistake. Did not ask on the D55, but he commented that they had sold three... The D20 and M20 or whatever do not interest me, so I didn't even pick them up...sorry :crying:

Just based upon my brief interaction, I would not hesitate to recommend these guitars to a friend, though certainly the play-before-play rule should be in effect...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is something that I have heard over and over and I don't really think it is completely true. The statement that LTG is not the Demographic they are trying to reach as LTG members prefer to not buy new Guilds and are a much older crowd. I would think I am part of the demographic they are trying to reach as I am in my early 40's with the income to purchase new American Guilds and would rather buy a new instrument with warranty as opposed to a used one without. The Majority of my New Hartford made Guilds in My signature were purchased new by me from authorized Guild dealers. I was as excited as anyone about New American Made Acoustics coming out of Oxnard and really wanted one until they got all shifty with the details. Where they messed up to me as a customer was starting off by trying to hide the change in build details of the first American made Acoustic models. After that I lost all trust in my favorite Guitar company so why would I take a chance by spending $3k plus on a product from a company that can't be straight forward with their customers? I have played several of the Oxnard made models and to me they just don't measure up to the New Hartford models I own. That coupled with the fact that there may be some unknown details come to light about the build aspects of a guitar years after I would have purchased it from them has been what has kept me away from buying a new Guild. I really hope they do succeed but for the mean time it will be without me as a customer. It is what it is I guess.

TX

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. When I make comments about LTG demographics I tend to base them on posts and content. So any statement I make may well be biased in the direction of the biggest mouths and not reflect the entire active membership. I remember things that did not happen so my memory may be incorrect. I also tend to have a long memory and so I will give weight to comments about "I won't buy a new one" that were made when New Hartford was ramping up even though that was A Long Internet Time Ago and might not reflect the current status. I will also note that I am making generalizations and the fact that the generalization does not describe or apply to you personally does not mean the generalization is invalid. I will note that with a join date of 2014 you might not have viewed all the postings that relate and that were made when New Hartford was ramping up. Those definitely formed my perception. I even have a vague recollection of a poll from the early NH days along the lines of "Do you expect to buy a new Guild?" The response rate was statistically insignificant, under 20? and it was subject to the usual veers. But there were more Noes than Yeses and more undecideds than both.

When I make a sweeping generalization about Guild's target market I am defining the target market as people who are likely to a new Guild guitar. You are definitely in that target market. Several others are in the "prefer new" category but they also say things like "gotta wait and see" or "I'm so happy with what I have that I doubt I will replace it and I cannot afford more". Then we have the "why buy new when used is better bang for the buck?" crowd and the "if it ain't Westerly it ain't coming home with me" folks. It is hard to make economic judgements but I personally know some members who could not afford any $1000 instrument without some belt tightening and planning. Perhaps incorrectly, I think someone who expresses concern over a $425 instrument and wonders about $400 instead, is probably not in the market for any of the new Guilds, regardless of country of origin.

I've been called out on some of my sweeping generalizations and have adjusted my thinking accordingly. This long response helps me remain comfortable with this one although I need to emphasize "most" and never say all. And since I know there are exceptions, it would be helpful to acknowledge them up front.