Guild Mark VI Artist Special Restoration

gilded

Reaction score
Bring it to the next Arlington Guitar Show that you attend. I want to see it!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom, Dave, I was just looking at the first picture of the basket-case this Mark was when you guys got it ( http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/mark-vi-artist-special/nggallery/page/1 ) and I was wondering what was involved in restoring that rosette... I'm just curious as I'm completely ignorant in how that part of the restoration process works. That first picture, the rosette appears intact, but it looks awful. Obviously, the old lacquer had to be carefully removed, but was there reconstruction involved? Thanks for indulging my questions!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Major Congrats Chazmo! I almost put a bid in on this one but decided against it knowing that at the least it would find a great home here on the LTG Forum. Couldn't be happier that you wound up with this little piece of Guild and LTG History! It really needed to go to a longtime and active member here that would give it the home it deserves after all the beautiful work and time Jacobs Guitars put into it along with the initial find and acquisition. Glad you got it man, So when are you going to have Tom add another 6 strings to it? LOL!

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, Tex. Oooh, a 12-string classical. . .What a brainwave!!!!!! :) Not sure Mr. Greco's fan bracing would like that too much, but it's a thought. ;)

Fixit

Reaction score
Tom, Dave, I was just looking at the first picture of the basket-case this Mark was when you guys got it ( http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/mark-vi-artist-special/nggallery/page/1 ) and I was wondering what was involved in restoring that rosette... I'm just curious as I'm completely ignorant in how that part of the restoration process works. That first picture, the rosette appears intact, but it looks awful. Obviously, the old lacquer had to be carefully removed, but was there reconstruction involved? Thanks for indulging my questions!

Chazmo

No reconstruction of the rosette was necessary. There was some missing old lacquer and a lot of very old finish that didn't look very good. After removing the old lacquer there were a few places in the rosette that had separations and required filling. After some light sanding and new lacquer it came back pretty good and ended up looking better than I expected it to.

Fixit

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chazmo

No reconstruction of the rosette was necessary. There was some missing old lacquer and a lot of very old finish that didn't look very good. After removing the old lacquer there were a few places in the rosette that had separations and required filling. After some light sanding and new lacquer it came back pretty good and ended up looking better than I expected it to.

Fixit

Amazing, Tom. I've had the guitar out on the stand in my living room and I have been playing it daily for the last couple of weeks since the weather finally turned nice here in MA. The details of your handiwork continue to amaze me every time I look at it! :) Bravo!

Best wishes!