Played a new Oxnard Made D55 Today

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
slight veer- i have a mid 60s Guild case that is the perfect shape and size of a dread, but it is not deep enough. did Guild actually make a 7/8, or maybe 3/4 size dread, in Hoboken? (if so i realize it was not the D-55...)

is what I am describing some sort of hollow body/semi-hollow arch top?

thanks for any info!

and thanks for the reoprt, Tex- sounds like a drag! u better stick with what u have already got,bwahaahaa!!

idealassets

Reaction score
Yes, I had my friend who works at the store play it to me to make sure I wasn't just hearing things and he was in total agreement with me on the tone and other aspects. Listening to the guitar being played didn't help it out at all. .... I was purely giving as Honest of an Acoustic Review of an Acoustic guitar as possible. Like I said earlier, Don't take my word for it, Go and try one for yourselves. Hopefully your experience is better than mine and it was isolated to that one guitar.TX
TX, I'm still bummed to hear it all. Maybe with some luck this guitar will sell to a collector who will merely appreciate the Guild workmanship.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guess my Takoma D55 just went up in value....I was expecting a better review.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Here's a new Guild D55 sound demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaiHn4MYABs
Seems to sound about right on youtube, doesn't sound radically bad.

Thanks for the clip. I'm certainly no expert but it surely looks sweet and I'd say the sound I'm hearing is quite a bit better than not radically bad. I've got a buddy that picked up one of the new D 55's and he has nothing but great things to say about it. We'll see how it all works out I guess but I wish them a lot of success.

Reaction score
Welcome. Oxnard prices are generally higher than New Hartford prices were and those rose over the years. That should explain some of the price increase.

Thank you!
So there's no real difference between them? Then I'd rather consider buying a used New Hartford (if I get the opportunity).

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you!
So there's no real difference between them? Then I'd rather consider buying a used New Hartford (if I get the opportunity).

I wasn't trying to say the Oxnard, New Hartford and prior factory D55's were "the same". I was trying to say that the list price on the D-55 has been rising over the past decade due to factors that have nothing to do with quality, construction or specifications of the instrument. Perhaps I misunderstood your question when I assumed you were talking about instruments being sold as new?

In any event my sense, based on what I read here because I have never played one, is that any any D55 has the potential to be a very good instrument but play the specific one you are about to buy if possible first. If that is not possible, the general rule of thumb is that there is more "bang for the buck" in a used Guild. So if you can't play either and the choice is between a new Oxnard made D55 and a used New Hartford D55 at a significantly lower price, go for the New Hartford

Bob Aldo

Reaction score
As the title states I has the chance to play a new Oxnard D55 today at my local Mom and pop shop. I was in there to get a thorough evaluation done on a Guild that just showed up at my doorstep last night and had some time to kill so I gave it a whirl. Granted I tried to go into the experience with as open of a mind as possible.

First off the guitar seemed a bit smaller than my New Hartford made D55's. It was almost like it was a 7/8's version of the previous D55's in size and feel. I was not the only one who noticed this as my friend who works at the store said that was the first thing he noticed when it came out of the box. Next to other Dreads in the display you could even see the difference in width and length of the body. The neck was also smaller in width and profile than my New Hartford models which made it feel extremely cramped to play. If I had to guess I would say the nut width was closer to 1.68" like an electric model where as my NH models are all 1.72" and wider. The string spacing also felt considerably more narrow as well when fingerpicking. The tone was extremely thin sounding and no where near as full as what I have come to expect from a Guild D55 of any era. It sounded more like half of a D55 to be honest. It mostly reminded me of that Bright Tinny sound that Taylors are known for so that was extremely disappointing coming from a Guild Flagship model. There was no depth to the tone at all. Could just be that it is new and needs some playtime but even new my other D55's had much more of a Rich tone to them.

Now on to fit and finish! The sides were of a Beautifully figured rosewood but the back pieces were kind of Blah in their appearance and even had a completely different color to them. The top looked nice and had some silking to it. However there were some finish issues that I think were unacceptable for a $3500+ guitar to leave the factory with. There was a considerable notch in the side of the ebony bridge wing. The Nitro finish was much thicker than any of my other D55's including my Corona Models. Also there was already finish crackling along the entire fretboard extension where it meets the top along both sides from the neck joint to the soundhole. There was also a small but noticeable amount of run out in the top.

Overall I was extremely disappointed with that representation of a D55. It felt more like a replica of a nice guitar than an actual quality made guitar in my hands. I found the tone considerably lacking and there was no "wow" factor at all in any aspect of the guitar. To me it sounded and felt pretty cheap. I went in hoping for the best and after a few minutes all of my hopes for a new beginning were dashed. Hopefully this guitar is just an isolated incident but my heart tells me otherwise.

TX

What kind of strings were on it? I bet it had "coated" light gauge strings - which your other D55's did not have on them when they were new.
I bought one of the new D20's, and find that the only strings that sound good on it are mediums (uncoated PB). It too, sounds "thin"with lights, or even with light-mediums (12.5)!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What kind of strings were on it? I bet it had "coated" light gauge strings - which your other D55's did not have on them when they were new.
I bought one of the new D20's, and find that the only strings that sound good on it are mediums (uncoated PB). It too, sounds "thin"with lights, or even with light-mediums (12.5)!

i would for the most part agree...While my finger pads are best served with lights, my Br (the new D20) really shines with mediums. I got Elixir Polyweb .13-.56 tuned down a half step and I freakin love them. someone told me about these strings like 11 years ago and i am finally getting around to giving them a whirl. they are awesome!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

The strings on the Oxnard model were the Coated lights from the factory. As far as my New Hartford D55's they actually did come from the factory with Coated Strings on them. Medium Phosphor Bronze Daddario EXP17's to be exact which were factory as well on the New Hartford Jumbo Traditional series models such as my F50 Maple and F50R's. My GSR D50 Cocobolo and other New Hartford Dreads were all equipped with the same Coated Daddario Medium EXP17 sets as well according to Factory specs. Towards the end of New Hartford production they re-branded the strings as "Guild" strings but were still the same Daddario Medium Coated Phosphor Bronze sets just in a Guild Package.

For further reference I currently and have for about a year and a half now run Elixir Phosphor Bronze coated Nanoweb Lights or Light HD's on all my New Hartford Guilds including the D55's. None of my New Hartford guitars (D55's Included) with coated lights have a "thin" aspect to their tone so take that for what it is worth. So in reality both the Oxnard model I test drove and my New Hartford models have the same gauge string sets on them and both are coated Phosphor Bronze.

TX

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So in reality both the Oxnard model I test drove and my New Hartford models have the same gauge string sets on them and both are coated Phosphor Bronze.

TX

Yet the tone is that much different... Did they not make some build or structural changes in Oxnard? I remember reading here that they did in fact make some changes.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yet the tone is that much different... Did they not make some build or structural changes in Oxnard? I remember reading here that they did in fact make some changes.

As mentioned previously in this thread the Oxnard models are designed for the light Gauge string set and tension where as the New Hartford models were designed and built for the Medium gauge string sets. That is one of the major changes that stands out right away.

TX

idealassets

Reaction score
Here is approximately what my Tacoma D55 sounds like ever since the day that I paid for it at the Elderly Instruments sales counter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmCSeNZxfO4

Here is yet another Cordoba sound demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv2IGbjWfc

This Cordoba D55 has the light, tinney sound and also has a bad midrange buzz going on when strummed. I like the D55, but would not care to re-invent my playing to accommodate a different new tone from it. So I'm talking plainly here on LTG, but will not say anything derogatory in public since Guild guitars across the board are great and very cherished guitars by everyone I have ever met who owns one.

Craig

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So I'm talking plainly here on LTG, but will not say anything derogatory in public since Guild guitars across the board are great and very cherished guitars by everyone I have ever met who owns one.

Craig

this is well said Craig, like this tone...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I’m scratching my head while carrying frustrated facial expressions.

Ok so I going out on limb so what if it’s thin ,
So the first Vid I listened to in miscellaneous I commented that the guitar was boomy I stand by that assessment.

Tx plays one first hand and concludes it’s thin and lacking Tx’s assessment was also backed up by another person who played said guitar . I certainly believe Tx heard what he heard .

Now listening to these new vidios it’s even more confusing . The first one in misc did not really sound that bad but I’m going for redo on that one .

As to the above two videos the first one is thrown out as it’s amplified and it’s bass heavy .
The second one OMG what fracture of time happened to original guy demonstrating the guitars at the fellowship ? Anyway mostly every demo I heard from in the past had darn good audio set ups so for the love of God what happened here ?

The guitar sounds like Tx’s discription whether or not anyone agrees besides me in this vid the guitar is less then adequate.

Never had I seen the Fellowship not have mics in proximity of the guitar it seems to be a new thing none the less it does make me wonder .

Here’s another vid , guitar is Boomy note mic position
https://youtu.be/S3YHPcrgdVY

Here’s another guess what , yup Boomy note mic position
https://youtu.be/i_ud5oSAxH4

Something he noted about the bracing is the sound hole bracing or X bracing is scalloped what ? We’re did that come from ? And who mastered it ?

Bottom line for me at the moment until I play one is their inconsistent and if REN truly set up the line it seems something is missing or has been messed with but we need more data .

Over and out . 😑

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
slight veer- i have a mid 60s Guild case that is the perfect shape and size of a dread, but it is not deep enough. did Guild actually make a 7/8, or maybe 3/4 size dread, in Hoboken?
Only thing I can think of is G75 which was described as a 3/4 sized D50 but still had a fullscale neck.
Also don't think those came out until '70's in Westerly.
I think the dreadnought depth spec was always 5" with not more than 1/8" spec variation if that. Can't recall a 4-1/2" deep dread from Hoboken.
Wonder if it might be an F30 case even though it's dread shaped?
is what I am describing some sort of hollow body/semi-hollow arch top?
Same response as possible F30 case, maybe it's for something like that even though dread shaped?

kbob2

Reaction score
Got my D 55 today from Oxnard and love it, repeat love it, no issues !!! My 6 week old D 40 Traditional is great also!!!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Got my D 55 today from Oxnard and love it, repeat love it, no issues !!! My 6 week old D 40 Traditional is great also!!!

Hey Kbob, glad you’re enjoying your new D55! Can you post some pics? How is the fit and finish?