Guild 12 strings...How do they compare , sound wise ?

merlin6666

Reaction score
Thanks for the sound clips, Cougar. Things like that help. I should come up with a 12 string tune and post it. I have a 12 string. It just isn't a Guild. I'm debating on whether I really need a second one. If I do, it needs to sound demonstrably better than what I have.
I played ovation 12 strings exclusively for more than 10 years but eventually also got a Guild 6 string. Then I also got a Guild 12 string. It's very nice and I play most of my 12 string songs on it now though it takes a bit more effort to fret. But I switched the ovation to double drop d so now I can also play a whole bunch of additional songs without tedious retuning.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I ask how the neck angle was and how much saddle was left. It's a 12 string that is 30 years old, after all. Here is what I got back.... And he included some pretty useless pictures that were not focused on the guitar our so over bright, you could see what he was measuring.

Hmm. That's ridiculous. I'd tell him to shove it up his butt.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This one sold out of their shop, yesterday:
https://reverb.com/item/10406409-guild-f212xl-12-string-guitar-1979

This one has me reconsidering working with the seller:
https://reverb.com/item/8032832-guild-12-string

I ask how the neck angle was and how much saddle was left. It's a 12 string that is 30 years old, after all. Here is what I got back..

First I need to know if you are also known Husband Hound or acting on his behalf?
As to the neck, the angle is fine and so is the saddle, at least in my opinion. I think the action is excellent in general and way beyond that for a 12 string. Here are 4 pictures I just took that will give you an idea.
I will tell you I am not willing to sell for less than the amount shown so if you don't want to pay that price we should each move on. I have all the time in the world to sell and will eventually get my price either here or somewhere else. it happened on the last five things I sold and it will happen with this too. In the meantime I challenge anyone to find a Westerly made Guild in this condition and vintage at this price.
Hope this helpful.

And he included some pretty useless pictures that were not focused on the guitar our so over bright, you could see what he was measuring.

Lol husband hound ? Is that like some form of werewolf? Haha I don’t know what to make of that except put the crack pipe down !

I’d ask kindly for him to produce better pictures and me being me I’d first address the husband hound thing and how unprofessional that comment was in terms of it’s delivery and let him know a possible a complaint to reverb is in order see if he comes around then .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Lol husband hound ? Is that like some form of werewolf? Haha I don’t know what to make of that except put the crack pipe down !
I think Seller had or is having very bad experience with somebody using that handle on the internet.
His stand-offish attitude is understandable in that light and I think he backed off nicely after politely asking the question.

I’d ask kindly for him to produce better pictures

Yes I think if you direct him here to prove your creds and serious interest he'll at east be a little more so-operative.
I'm not worried about neck angle (although that assumes it was strung with .010's as designed) as much as bridge lift on that year JF30-12.
$1100.00's still kinda high IMHO but who knows he may be more co-operative if he doesn't think somebody (like Husband Hound) is just trying to low-ball him for a flip.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I replied

• No idea who "Husband Hound" is. Before I would consider the price fair and reasonable, I had to find out more about your guitar. I'm sure you have done the same in your purchases.

Then he responded..

Of course you should investigate and research. I do it too. But I also appreciate when a seller makes their position known up front so no one wastes their time. I assume you would feel the same. I thought I was being helpful in my reply. Since I see no offer from you I would assume that means you are not interested. Good luck in your search and keep pickin'.

Which I then replied...

My first messages to any seller are to find out how well they communicate and see how quickly they respond and see how forthright they are about the item. Unfortunately, your response was rather defensive and your pictures really bad. So, it is not that I am not interested in your guitar, but that I do not feel you would be a good person to purchase from.

Maybe he had been burned in the past, but, his FIRST communication with someone that might give him $1000 should be more courteous and friendly. Crappy attitude and crappy pictures means I don't trust them with the sale.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
the jerk said:
I thought I was being helpful in my reply.

He was being decidedly unhelpful. You don't say "the saddle is fine." You say the saddle is "x" inches above the bridge. Good for you, John. The guy was a total jerk.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Maybe he had been burned in the past, but, his FIRST communication with someone that might give him $1000 should be more courteous and friendly. Crappy attitude and crappy pictures means I don't trust them with the sale.

Sorry to make you have to spell it out, John, was only trying to give moral support for another pass, but I get it now.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
action seems a tad high to me and there is some bellying. i agree, those pics are touch, blurry too.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I agree with Wood on this one John. Even if the seller was nice the action looks high and the saddle look a bit on the low side. Not way low but remember that you have to take twice the height off of the saddle that you want the strings to be lowered at the 12th fret so that will be cutting it extremely close. The bellying below the bridge also effects the string to neck geometry so I would err on the side of caution and not take a chance on the Neck angle and Geometry being off on this one as it appears to be. No point in spending the money on the guitar if you can't get it to play the way you want it to without spending a lot more.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

This same one is listed on Ebay as well. If you look closely at the side photos you can see that the saddle is on the really low side and the action is on the really high side. Not much room to go any lower at all. Other than that it looks to be in Excellent condition but as we all know neck resets can be easily in the $500 range so figure that into the "Near Future" or "Immediate Necessity" cost on this one as well. Here are a few pics from the ad.

00m0m_BZAMd773AZ_1200x900.jpg

00303_e7lzh0oDNGo_1200x900.jpg

TX

Grassdog

Reaction score
I replied

Then he responded..

Which I then replied...

You definitely did the right thing by passing on this one. If the seller was this difficult to deal with on the front end - when it's in his best interest to be cordial and cooperative - can you imagine what it would have been like to deal with him on a return?

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
If I'm being honest, my least favorite Guild 12 string is my G-312 (which is essentially a 12 string version of the D-50). I've never bonded all that much with it. I have played the GAD version of the D-25-12, and that was awfully nice. If you can get your hands on one of those, give it a whirl.

Chazmo - If the adage "absence makes the heart grow fonder" then send that G-312 my way for a while. I have wanted to treat my ears to one of those for some time to see if I should add one. I could do a "test run" for a while and then on its return maybe you would find that special joy ..... :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I'm being honest, my least favorite Guild 12 string is my G-312 (which is essentially a 12 string version of the D-50). I've never bonded all that much with it. I have played the GAD version of the D-25-12, and that was awfully nice. If you can get your hands on one of those, give it a whirl.

Chazmo - If the adage "absence makes the heart grow fonder" then send that G-312 my way for a while. I have wanted to treat my ears to one of those for some time to see if I should add one. I could do a "test run" for a while and then on its return maybe you would find that special joy ..... :)
Wait !? You have G312 and then want Chazmo to send you one ? That’s double dipping ! Lol

Last edited:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
The best sounding 12 strings are Guilds.
The easiest to play are Taylors.
Someone build me a Dred Rosewood Guild 12 string with a Taylor neck please!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The best sounding 12 strings are Guilds.
The easiest to play are Taylors.
Someone build me a Dred Rosewood Guild 12 string with a Taylor neck please!

Ben Wilborn will :) well guess I should say he build one of his that will play and sound better then .

Last edited:

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wait !? You have G312 and then want Chazmo to send you one ? That’s double dipping ! Lol

Nix Rayk - that initial statement was from Chazmo but somehow in editing out the unneeded parts it lost the "qouted" indication.... the home guitar bay has space available for a rosewood dread 12 string (G312) and an all 'hog dread 12 string (D15,D17,D25,?)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nix Rayk - that initial statement was from Chazmo but somehow in editing out the unneeded parts it lost the "qouted" indication.... the home guitar bay has space available for a rosewood dread 12 string (G312) and an all 'hog dread 12 string (D15,D17,D25,?)
FYI Steve there never was a 'hog-top version of D25-12. Well, not US-made, anyway.