Why you need an ALL MAHOGANY guitar....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Been doing a little research and the only thing Guild ever made that comes close to a All Hog Jumbo would be the Westerly made F15CE of which there is one for sale on Ebay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/92-Westerl...860065?hash=item362d74c021:g:uGcAAOSwSFZaiNKc

However even though it is full depth it is not a full jumbo only having a 16" lower bout instead of a 17" one. It is also one of the oval soundhole models which I am not crazy about and the nut width is a narrow 1-5/8". It does have a short 24.75" scale length which is kinda cool but the nut width and lower bout width are deal breakers for me. Back to the Frankenstein drawing board, LOL!

TX

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I wish Guild would have made an All solid Hog Jumbo with a Solid Hog top.

Dare I say (at the risk of being stoned), if you can't find it in your own backyard, sometimes its ok to look on the other side of the fence :subdued::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-James...y-Concert-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-/232616661312
https://reverb.com/item/7613388-taylor-528e-2014-all-mahogany
https://reverb.com/item/308471-1997-larrivee-j-05-jumbo-all-mahogany-guitar (already sold, but nice example)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dare I say (at the risk of being stoned), if you can't find it in your own backyard, sometimes its ok to look on the other side of the fence :subdued::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-James...y-Concert-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-/232616661312
https://reverb.com/item/7613388-taylor-528e-2014-all-mahogany
https://reverb.com/item/308471-1997-larrivee-j-05-jumbo-all-mahogany-guitar (already sold, but nice example)

I appreciate that Clyde but the sad thing is the Goodall "Concert Jumbo" is only 15-7/8" lower bout so that is out right away. As far as Taylors go, I bought my ticket to the Taylor fair with a Beautiful Presentation series 914KCE brand new and just let me say you can have all of the poly finished Bolt on Neck guitars in the world, Never again for me. The larrivee doesn't look bad but I have never bonded with any of them that I have played.

Besides, when it comes to Jumbo acoustics both 6 and 12 string everyone else is just playing 3rd fiddle to a Guild. Even if I had a top replaced on a Guild Jumbo I think I would still be 20 laps ahead of anything else out there and it would be unique on top of that.

I do appreciate the thought on the listings but when it comes to a jumbo, Guild is the only way for me, even if I have to modify one, LOL!

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I appreciate that Clyde but the sad thing is the Goodall "Concert Jumbo" is only 15-7/8" lower bout so that is out right away. As far as Taylors go, I bought my ticket to the Taylor fair with a Beautiful Presentation series 914KCE brand new and just let me say you can have all of the poly finished Bolt on Neck guitars in the world, Never again for me. The larrivee doesn't look bad but I have never bonded with any of them that I have played.

Besides, when it comes to Jumbo acoustics both 6 and 12 string everyone else is just playing 3rd fiddle to a Guild. Even if I had a top replaced on a Guild Jumbo I think I would still be 20 laps ahead of anything else out there and it would be unique on top of that.

I do appreciate the thought on the listings but when it comes to a jumbo, Guild is the only way for me, even if I have to modify one, LOL!

TX

Ya, I figured there was little chance those would catch your eye, but hey, thought I would give it a shot. ;-)

Good luck with your «FrankenGuild» project!

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
All-mahogany guitars are kinda my "thing" these days.

I have them in three different sizes:

1934 Martin 0-17, loud and bright, a little monster flatpicker, believe it or not. Concert size. Has sustain for days.

1931 Gibson L-0, a 12-fret orchestra model that weighs almost nothing and sounds like five guitars playing at once. Interesting in that it has that "Gibson" dry, fundamental note with hallmark thumping bass, so early in their flattop evolution. Best fingerpicker and open-tuned slide guitar I own.

1971 Guild D-25 flatback. Best $500 I ever spent on anything. Sweet, warm, loud.

Actually, all three are louder than any Sitka-topped guitar I own of any size.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ya, I figured there was little chance those would catch your eye, but hey, thought I would give it a shot. ;-)

Good luck with your «FrankenGuild» project!

Thanks man, Not making any promises that I will build one but if a Nice Guild Hog Jumbo shows up with a cracked top I will probably be all over it, LOL!

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Thanks man, Not making any promises that I will build one but if a Nice Guild Hog Jumbo shows up with a cracked top I will probably be all over it, LOL!

TX

Ok, I’ll keep my eye out for that... hoping you might have to finance that project by selling one of your RW jumbos?... :emmersed: If so, I’m in!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The only all-mahogany guitar I have experience with is the wife's '51 Martin O-15. We got it back after it spent a couple of months in Nazareth for repairs, and it is a sweet little guitar that sounds way bigger than its diminutive size would suggest. Interestingly, it does not seem to have the midrange "honk" or quack I often hear in small parlor guitars.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Been doing a little research and the only thing Guild ever made that comes close to a All Hog Jumbo would be the Westerly made F15CE of which there is one for sale on Ebay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/92-Westerl...860065?hash=item362d74c021:g:uGcAAOSwSFZaiNKc

However even though it is full depth it is not a full jumbo only having a 16" lower bout instead of a 17" one. It is also one of the oval soundhole models which I am not crazy about and the nut width is a narrow 1-5/8". It does have a short 24.75" scale length which is kinda cool but the nut width and lower bout width are deal breakers for me. Back to the Frankenstein drawing board, LOL!

TX
Well, I resisted as long as I could. I made an offer, he countered, and I bit. It should make a nice comparison companion to my F45ce maple/spruce version.

F312

Reaction score
I think you made a fine deal. The guitar is clean and it should sound fantastic.

Ralph

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’ll have to do another hog vs spruce video comparison, like I did with my F20 and M20.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, I resisted as long as I could. I made an offer, he countered, and I bit. It should make a nice comparison companion to my F45ce maple/spruce version.
Y'know, except for that 1-5/8" nut thing, I could actually start getting jealous.....as it is I wish I lived about 3 blocks away from you so I could at least beg you let me see I they at least fit my hands....
Love that contrasting tonewoods/back shape idea on the same body guitar.
I only got 2 different back styles on the same size guitar.
OK, what's that psychological thing they call it when you congratulate somebody as a means of getting over your own jealousy?
Sublimation? Yeah that's it.
Congrats, sir!
:glee:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Congrats Chris! I look forward to your comparison of the Spruce/Hog-All Hog in the same body shape and style. That looks like a really cool guitar with the 24 fret fretboard and short scale length. Happy for you man and keep us posted on the results!

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nice one Chris, congrats and enjoy. David Byrne would approve!

xDmHMt.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And having attended RISD (Rhode Island School of Design), which is where I think Talking Heads started, Byrne most likely would have known about Guild and Westerly.
RISD is in Providence, so my guess is during his time there Guilds would have been super common at local music shops and bars playing out.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And having attended RISD (Rhode Island School of Design), which is where I think Talking Heads started, Byrne most likely would have known about Guild and Westerly.
RISD is in Providence, so my guess is during his time there Guilds would have been super common at local music shops and bars playing out.
Dang.
And I thought I was a T Heads fan.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Y'know, except for that 1-5/8" nut thing, I could actually start getting jealous.....as it is I wish I lived about 3 blocks away from you so I could at least beg you let me see I they at least fit my hands....
Love that contrasting tonewoods/back shape idea on the same body guitar.
I only got 2 different back styles on the same size guitar.
OK, what's that psychological thing they call it when you congratulate somebody as a means of getting over your own jealousy?
Sublimation? Yeah that's it.
Congrats, sir!
:glee:

I've got a 1 5/8 65 Epiphone Texan you're welcome to play if you want. I'm in SJ. I have small hands so it works for me.

As for an all hog, I've got a Martin custom 00 15 12 fret I bought before they made sapele the standard 15 series wood. Now it is a $500 upgrade to order one. It is it's own unique beast. The larger 00 twelve fret body sounds more like 000, and after playing a spruce toped guitar, takes a bit before your ears adjust to the absence of overtones, but if you can pick fast and clean, there is no more clarity to be had. Probably the best all hog guitar I've played was a SCGC 1929. That was a fingerstyle blues and rag machine.

I'd love to have a flatback D 25 to go with my 1970 D 35.