90's D4 vs J4 pricing

Nathan

Reaction score
I've seen several Westerly era D4's on Reverb for significantly less than the price of similar J4's. Were these just much more common, or not as desirable? I typically think of Jumbos when I think of Guilds, but I guess even they may have produced more dreads than jumbos.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've seen several Westerly era D4's on Reverb for significantly less than the price of similar J4's. Were these just much more common, or not as desirable? I typically think of Jumbos when I think of Guilds, but I guess even they may have produced more dreads than jumbos.

HI Nathan, Welcome aboard!

Don't know how I missed this yesterday, but basically the D4 was a "stripped down" version of the D25 when introduced, and IS far more common than the JF4 (proper model number for that Guild 'hog-bodied archback jumbo from the '90's)
So part of the difference is based on availability and part of it is based on the fact that the JF-4 was a more costly model to start with.
Yes Guild was well-known for dreads as well as jumbos, according to the '97 catalog , more D25's had been sold than any other model.
Nott surprising for a model that been in continuous production from '68 through that year, whereas JF4's were only made from '92-'95, IIRC.
And D4's were made from '91 right up through the end of Westerly production in '01.
There are at least a couple of JF4 owners around here, and if you see something you're interested in, post some pics for feedback, we're pretty good at spotting little details that may indicate hidden issues.
It's not uncommon for sellers to be unaware of problems, too, so getting a second opinion always helps.
And don't worry about somebody trying to buy a guitar out from underneath you, that's pretty non-existant around here.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A good D-4 (good neck angle, plenty of saddle, no cracks, etc.) is a great introduction to vintage Guilds. They're fairly common, reasonably priced, and sound way better than their price point. I bought one for the wife (story here), and it is a really good sounding guitar that sounds and plays way more expensive that what I actually have in it.

As adorshki says, JF-4's are less common - I've been thinking about getting a JF-4 6-string to match my JF4-12, and they do not come up locally anywhere near as often as D-4's. I've never actually played a JF-4 6-string, so I cannot offer any insight about comparing the D-4 to the JF-4. I imagine it would be louder, and "rumblier" just based on the larger size.

My JF4-12 is a BIG guitar - keep that in mind if you suffer shoulder issues or T-Rex arms.

Nathan

Reaction score
Yeah, I had one. But didn't have rotator cuff issues 20 years ago. Hadn't really thought of that or expected any trouble from it. It appears you can buy D4's on Reverb all day long for $400. The only JF-4NT on there now is $700. As much as I love jumbo's. I don't have a dreadnought and it's probably money better spent. But since I just got my OM240 an hour or so ago that's not exactly on the radar now. I was just puzzled at the price difference as I expected them to be similarly priced - at least when new.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had one. But didn't have rotator cuff issues 20 years ago. Hadn't really thought of that or expected any trouble from it.
It's been mentioned by some that the narrower waist on jumbo bodies compensates for the bigger bout, but yeah you'll probably just have to try it and see,
For me, in the last 4 or 5 years, it's actually the dreadnoughts that are harder to play, I can't go for more than about an hour before I get fatigue between the shoulder blades.
That's caused me to become ever fonder of my F65ce which even though it has an almost identical width lower bout (16" vs 15-3/4' on the dread), is only 3-1/2" deep and sits lower on my leg due to narrower waist, so, no fatigue.
A JF4's a full 17" lower bout and 5" deep though, so test fitting again is a good idea.
It appears you can buy D4's on Reverb all day long for $400. The only JF-4NT on there now is $700. As much as I love jumbo's. I don't have a dreadnought and it's probably money better spent. But since I just got my OM240 an hour or so ago that's not exactly on the radar now. I was just puzzled at the price difference as I expected them to be similarly priced - at least when new.

D4's had everything possible done to lower the price:
No back binding, no high-gloss finish, no headstock overlay with pearloid insert, no optional finish colors, and not even a case, all of which were standard or available on D25's.
Over time they eventually did get all those options and even turned into their "exotic offbeat finish" test-bed for while just a couple of years into production, but that'll give you some insight as to what makes 'm D4's as opposed to D25's .
Otherwise they're the same and even used the same s/n sequence as D25's after '94. It's not possible to tell a D25 from a D4 from that period by s/n alone. You need pics or guitar in hand.
Read between those lines.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

Nathan

Reaction score
Yessir. I think I read there's likely a D4 in my future. These hollow boxes are space hogs though, and I still needs me a tele some day.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
$700 sounds high for a JF-4, u could get a JF-30 for that or close on a good day. i like the D-4 or JF-4 at $350-600 depending on condition, case etc. $600 would be like mint w the Guild case, at least for me.

save it for the tele!!