1970 Les Paul Gold Top

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
o.k., I basically know zero about electric gear and frankly have little desire to learn.

There is a local CL ad that has the Gold Top Les Paul for $1,900 or best offer. Don't know if that's a good deal or not. If it is, somebody who knows about this stuff just let me know and I'll copy the link to the Ebay etc. section.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
o.k., I basically know zero about electric gear and frankly have little desire to learn.

There is a local CL ad that has the Gold Top Les Paul for $1,900 or best offer. Don't know if that's a good deal or not. If it is, somebody who knows about this stuff just let me know and I'll copy the link to the Ebay etc. section.
Condition is everything. Does is have the original mini-humbuckers? (I’m assuming its a Deluxe) Although full size were an option in the latter half of ‘70. Is there significant greening of the gold top from wear/sweat? Any headstock breaks?
Its a decent price for all original, decent, condition. A great price for all original, excellent, condition. Too high for replaced pickups/repaired headstock/other serious damage.
Also, does it have the original case?

DrumBob

Reaction score
The Vintage Guitar 2017 Price Guide puts that guitar between $3300-$4300 depending on condition. $1900 pr best offer sounds like a great deal, but as others have said, it's all about condition.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
The Vintage Guitar 2017 Price Guide puts that guitar between $3300-$4300 depending on condition. $1900 pr best offer sounds like a great deal, but as others have said, it's all about condition.

The 2018 Vintage Guitar Guide reports ex low to ex hi = $3100 to $4200 and states "two mini humbuckers (regular humbuckers optional in mid 70's). Mid 70's sparkle tops are worth more than standard finishes. The market slightly favors the goldtop finish, but practically speaking condition is more important than finish."

Frank4001

Reaction score
If it's a guitar actually made in 1970 it could have a one piece body and if it does it's worth a lot more.
I have a '71 - '74 era with the pancake body, 3 piece mahogany neck ect.. Great guitar. Owned over 30 years...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The Les Paul Recording guitar I recently picked up is a '71. Single-piece mahogany neck and two-piece 'hog pancake body. Though maybe it's more accurate to call it a 'hog body with 'hog top as it's 25% top piece and 75% back piece.

-Dave-

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I recently converted a Vintage V-100 to a 70s-style Les with the mini humbuckers from Pete Biltoft and I can’t hardly put the thing down. I’ve wanted a LP Deluxe for a long time. The Vintage has helped hold me over.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the specs are for a '70....wouldn't that be a Les Paul Deluxe? If that era is still pre-pancake body and pre-maple neck (not sure what they were doiing in 70 though, like I said), and the guitar is all there with no breaks, that seems like a really good price.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If I recall, a 1970 should have the pancake body. I think it went like this: ‘68: one piece body, 1 piece neck, small headstock. ‘69: 1 piece body, 3 piece neck, larger headstock. ‘70: pancake bodys, 3 piece neck, larger headstock.
An early ‘70 might have a 1 piece body; anything is possible with Gibson!