OK so New Gear day again ............

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well we all been here a few times haven't we LOL

I now maybe have a Guild CO- 2 hahaha this guitar is crazy good looking racing strips and all haha as far as condition goes it takes the lead out the bunch that I returned.
can't believe how pretty it is finish and everything. There is some light scratches but over over all I have to give it an A.

Now do i keep it ? why you may ask ,because it needs a neck rest . I messaged the seller to see if he would consider helping out on the cost so I wait his response. The neck reset would cost anywhere from 150-200 maybe 250 max being a bolt on system i go the to the lower side.

The tone , Hmmm well its good ! maybe not as bright as the one returned NH f 30 but close it has nice over tones and quick attack and the strings are dead so a new set should help it out some more .

Now about the top I'm a little blown away rarely do you find a Adirondack top with silking and bear clawish bear claw if thats what it is LOL . I hate dark stain and as a result you cant see the grain of the Mahogany but its scent is strong so she was boxed up good and tight. The guitar is as clean on the inside is as it is out and it has the lock and load pickup system.

ok so while I contemplate heres some pics that just might surprise you and maybe give some forgiveness to the bad rap the contemporary series gets and yes this a MIRC red sticker and all :)

oh some pics are darker , bad lighting and I used my iphone which has a lousy camera .

mFMqYDa.jpg
[/IMG]
oEfxPmg.jpg
[/IMG]
Af9L3J5.jpg
[/IMG]
FJxiKXb.jpg
[/IMG]
vD9gLsK.jpg
[/IMG]

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
some more Pics :)
pAGsrn3.jpg
[/IMG]
AEQ9Ay6.jpg
[/IMG]
atZlwHO.jpg
[/IMG]
EGhjV8Y.jpg
[/IMG]
mndK8pF.jpg
[/IMG]
n6KhKdj.jpg
[/IMG]
kqaf0Dh.jpg
[/IMG]

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ray - not to start a crisis event or anything but given that your standards are higher than some of us - is it my eyeballs, your "camera" work or is the fretboard really offset to the bass side at the sound hole? The photos make it look that way......

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ray - not to start a crisis event or anything but given that your standards are higher than some of us - is it my eyeballs, your "camera" work or is the fretboard really offset to the bass side at the sound hole? The photos make it look that way......

Haha no it’s fine just adjust the top of the photo shift until even . 😉

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's a really nice looking CO-2 !!!

Regarding the neck reset make sure to show those 3 pictures to the luthier to better understand how they fit together:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3893/14493298381_5076dcc235_b.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/kpmsmith/asstd005-1.jpg
http://static.music123.com/derivates/18/001/279/113/DV016_Jpg_Large_512088_inside_bracing.jpg

Ralf

Yes sir how well I know that picture train wreck thread ? Not sure if your remember my CV-1 repair thread . I had Fixit do the original work but I was not satisfied , no disrespect to fixit he did a proper repair I’m just to anal and redid it another way . Proud to say she’s been A+ since then she’s my go to guitar which considering there are much more expensive guitars in the nest it is a interesting conundrum . Lol

There was a project CO-2 on eBay for 300
I offered less but someone bought it .

I’m glad I didn’t get it haha this one is much much betterer:)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That looks nice Ray, I happen to like the Racing Stripes on the top. In my experience every Guild I have owned with those Racing Stripes including Orpheum Models have been Keeper guitars so I look at it as a Good Omen, LOL! Sorry to hear about the Neck reset needed, Still not a big issue considering you can probably take care of it with a pair of Vice Grips and a ratchet. Oh Yeah I almost forgot, Don't forget to bring some flies for that Spider that lives in there so she don't get mad and bite ya! Hoping it all turns out for for the best and Congrats on a New Addition. Look forward to hearing more about it as the repairs take place.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ray, just a bit worried because of previous drama. Maybe you could do your exam and pre-test and scrutiny and then let us know if it's a fit or a hit, or a miss? Before you introduce her to us. I like it and I think she's really pretty!! But we've been through this before.

Are you keeping the guitar? And if so, congrats and I'm happy!! And if not then...... :chargrined:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gotta' know...

How much did you get it for ?

I try to buy at a fair market value without knowing what that is fun huh ? Lol . I look at all the factors or most of them to see if it’s worth it then add or subtract the amount of do I really want it at which point I make an offer .

Ray, just a bit worried because of previous drama. Maybe you could do your exam and pre-test and scrutiny and then let us know if it's a fit or a hit, or a miss? Before you introduce her to us. I like it and I think she's really pretty!! But we've been through this before.

Are you keeping the guitar? And if so, congrats and I'm happy!! And if not then...... :chargrined:

Tom how boring is that ? Think about all the excitement, adventure , few pictures . Sitting on the edge of seat nibbling finger nails , A will he keep it or send it back again thill ride .

It’s like standing on a ball and seeing which way You’ll fall off . Lol

I’ve not heard back from the seller and I’m thinking hard on it just can’t say till Monday .😬

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok worked out a deal the Guitar is mine , welcome home my little CO-2 and a big 😜 to you contemporary haters lol
I do believe I’ll get one of each now hahaha !

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome News Ray, Congrats! I think Steve488 has a point on the neck not being properly aligned with the soundhole of the guitar though. You can see in the photo you posted below that the neck is offset of center from the soundhole to the bass side quite a bit. The High "E" string is way closer to the treble side edge of the fretboard than the low "e" string is to the edge of the bass side. Also you can see that the binding on the end of the fretboard extension where it meets the soundhole is shifted to the bass side as well.

mFMqYDa.jpg

I am sure that will all work itself out when you have the neck reset done but it is something I would definitely point out to whoever does the work before hand so they can remedy that issue in the process. I am really glad you are happy man and I hope it is everything you want it to be!

TX

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
Man... that is one pretty guitar top. Glad it worked out for you. Given the pickup system, you've got me wondering if one of these would fit into my Taylor's current slot in the guitarsenal. Could make a trade and come out ahead.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now do i keep it ? why you may ask ,because it needs a neck rest .

Just my opinion, but pretty as it is, that one would have a one way ticket back to wherever it came from. Absolutely appalling that Guild let this one get past the bandsaw. Another thing to consider is that neck resets on the neck block system cost quite a bit more than traditional bolt-on necks, because the attachment is so convoluted. YMMV, of course.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just my opinion, but pretty as it is, that one would have a one way ticket back to wherever it came from. Absolutely appalling that Guild let this one get past the bandsaw. Another thing to consider is that neck resets on the neck block system cost quite a bit more than traditional bolt-on necks, because the attachment is so convoluted. YMMV, of course.
Sandy, as much as I like these guitars myself if they're okay, there are enough that are NOT okay but if GOD WILLING we live that long... once a neck reset happens.... or any issues....it's a dead end. No luthier these days (if you can find one) is gonna know how to fix that thing. So it's a crap shoot. I think Ray is younger than us. I'm planning for the next 20. Beyond that ...... whatever.

I'm going TOMORROW for the new Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto guitar they have at GC. I got Don interested in that one!! So maybe another guitar that EYE don't have to pay for!!!

But I can PLAY IT!!! :smiley_simmons:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's really pretty Adirondak spruce on that one!! Beautiful!! But then the curse.....

oh and P. S. Ray.... EYE am not a hater of the Contemporary Series AT ALL!! I think they had a great idea and then when the factory sold they were just cutting their losses. The fact that it's gone through MIRC would make me wary, but not afraid. Of course, I never buy a guitar unless I play it. It's a rule for me. I've been known to break rules but.....

How does it sound, amigo??

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome News Ray, Congrats! I think Steve488 has a point on the neck not being properly aligned with the soundhole of the guitar though. You can see in the photo you posted below that the neck is offset of center from the soundhole to the bass side quite a bit. The High "E" string is way closer to the treble side edge of the fretboard than the low "e" string is to the edge of the bass side. Also you can see that the binding on the end of the fretboard extension where it meets the soundhole is shifted to the bass side as well.

mFMqYDa.jpg

I am sure that will all work itself out when you have the neck reset done but it is something I would definitely point out to whoever does the work before hand so they can remedy that issue in the process. I am really glad you are happy man and I hope it is everything you want it to be!

TX

the camera shot is off center to the right . The end of the fret board is made with a offset radius cut by design making look off in the pic . It’s narrow at the bass side wider at high E .

I will double check the measurements but if it is off it can be fixed easy enough during reset .

Thanks for pointing it out :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sandy, as much as I like these guitars myself if they're okay, there are enough that are NOT okay but if GOD WILLING we live that long... once a neck reset happens.... or any issues....it's a dead end. No luthier these days (if you can find one) is gonna know how to fix that thing. So it's a crap shoot. I think Ray is younger than us. I'm planning for the next 20. Beyond that ...... whatever.

I'm going TOMORROW for the new Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto guitar they have at GC. I got Don interested in that one!! So maybe another guitar that EYE don't have to pay for!!!

But I can PLAY IT!!! :smiley_simmons:

Resetting a neck on these things Is approached the same way as any other . The two tenons on the fretboard look scary are not really .

I could draw pics to show what’s what but on this the guitar the body is square and the neck was not trimmed to the right angle in other words it has to much meat on the heal .

This repair should go smooth as glass and it’s worth it . 😬