12 Guild à la Kottke

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes I meant mid-sixties. Sorry :smile:
So this could be a big problem, with CITES, traveling (I mean traveling whit the guitar, not shipping :smile:) from US to EU......
Any opinion?

As Jane's link shows there's already a lot of sympathy for touring musicians, but the way I understand it there's already at least 2 "allowances" for you specific "situation"
Brazilian is particularly sensitive because it's the only common instrument wood that's subject to CITES' highest level of control, listed on what's called "Appendix 1".
Still:
1: If it can be proven an instrument was built before its woods were CITES listed, it's by definition exempt from permitting requirements.
2: Personal instruments, even Brazilian rosewood, are eligible for an instrument exemption certificate.

MORE info here, the letter from US Fish and Wildlife Service:
https://www.fws.gov/international/p...appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf
See pages 18 and 19 and questions 44 through 49.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

etzeppy

Reaction score
The only thing I can add is, it's really hard to beat a Guild 12 of any kind. I have played some cheap ones that were great and finally bought myself an F-512. The Hartford builds were really good.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not disappeared. I had a hard time trying to find my 12.
I found a '65 Hoboken F-212. It is in very very good cosmetic conditions. The neck is just perfect. I doesn't need any reset. The problem is inside, some works needed to glue some braces and something else. But nothing that can't be fixed. So the guitar went directly to my luthier. I'm very excited with that and hope to play it soon.
I want to thank everyone for precious help and suggestions you gave me.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not disappeared. I had a hard time trying to find my 12.
I found a '65 Hoboken F-212. It is in very very good cosmetic conditions. The neck is just perfect. I doesn't need any reset. The problem is inside, some works needed to glue some braces and something else. But nothing that can't be fixed. So the guitar went directly to my luthier. I'm very excited with that and hope to play it soon.
I want to thank everyone for precious help and suggestions you gave me.
Yep, good news indeed!
I could almost be jealous!
Regluing braces is far preferable to getting a neck reset.
PLEASE show us some pics when it's finally in hand!

Reaction score
The 212 is at home!!!
Yesterday I played this beauty for the first time.
What can I say? WOW!!!!!!
It's beyond all my expectations by far. I really love his old mature and warm mahogany tone. I put D'Addario EJ37 and tuned down 1 step, standard tuning. Wow, nothing else to say. I really love it.

Two questions:
1) I would like to find a new hard shell case to protect it properly. The original one is not in perfect conditions so I keep it but want a new one to use every day. Can you recommend one that fits this model well ( A 1965 Hoboken F-212)

2) I'm a fingerstyle guy so..... what's the next vintage Guild? :love-struck: