New to Guild Forum!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I hope I didn't say something insulting, Ray. It certainly wasn't intentional if I did!

No not at all , my stupid self had to many beers for which I am now suffering . My altered mind was trying to get me to spew forth my logic about money and collecting . Thankfully something saved us all from the pain of such a read . Lol
Hugs 😊

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm late to the thread, but welcome, Rev. Those D4s can be terrific guitars. I play at an open mic with a guy who alternates bringing in a D4 and Martin D18, and sound wise I prefer the D4.

Collecting can be an insidious bug. I went a bit mad in 2012-16. I'm proud to say that I've been acquisition-free since February 2017. Lately I find myself weakening, though ....

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Little hair of the dog this morning, perhaps, Ray?! :) I do hate those morning headaches. :)

Hey... Three things to stay away from under the influence: a steering wheel, a trigger, and the enter key!

:)

Some day I would like to hear that thinking about money and collecting, Ray. That'll hopefully be over a beer or two, in person! :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Some day I would like to hear that thinking about money and collecting, Ray. That'll hopefully be over a beer or two, in person! :)

So is the in person part so we can start throwing punches if I say something stupid ? Lol

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right on, Ray.

While I've veered this sucker off a precipice, might as well keep going...

Where I have my condo up in Maine, it turns out that the fire chief decided to set the marsh land behind my place ablaze a few years ago. I know... real life is definitely stranger than fiction, right?? Anyway, the upshot is that we're no longer allowed to have any form of gas or charcoal grill on the property. Nor are we allowed to store gas inside. Apparently, there was a serious insurance whiplash that resulted from this crazy guy's actions. So, sadly, one of the things I really like to do at the beach -- namely, grill -- is verboten now. And, here's the irony, guys... This town has THOUSANDS of campsites. Literally. There are open fires and grills all over town... but now I can't have any of that at my condo now. Sigh. Why does one person always have to screw things up for everybody else? (don't answer that. please) :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh, it's so true. Everything is relative with regard to acquisition mania. Around here, everyone gets "enabled" at one time or another. :)

NOPE, had all mine before I ever joined and haven't had any since.
Maybe that's how to get immunized.
Although I have lusted in my heart after a few particularly attractive examples since I joined and now fantasize about the perfect F40..

bobouz

Reaction score
LOL - you'll have to get in a very long line :smile-new: I've been at this for a very long time. What has surprised me on the forums I frequent is that my collection is but a mere pittance to many others I've seen. Those guys make me feel like I'm normal. :highly_amused:

Welcome Rev - another Gibson forum member here, but lately I've been hanging around the acoustic side of things, so haven't read too many of your recent posts. Indeed, I always like it when someone has more guitars than me, bringing my OCD tendencies down into the "you're pretty much OK" range, so it's great to see you here!

Re your new find, I had a similar thing happen a few years ago with a '92 D-6nt-hg (natural, high gloss), which was an off-shoot of the earlier D-40 model. It arrived in mint condition, perfectly set up, and at a great price. I had been trying to revisit my old Guilds from the '70s, and this one fit in as a perfect replacement for the D-40 I had. From what I've seen recently, the market for used Guilds seems to be tightening up, and prices are rising. No question, you truly were in the right place at the right time on this one!

I will add one bit of advice: Get that original Micarta saddle off of there asap! They are true tone-gobblers. I personally like the punchy qualities of Tusq saddles, and their Martin versions (either with or without compensation) will almost drop-in on an early '90s Guild. Also of course many folks will want to go with bone.

A wonderful find - Congrats, & enjoy!

bobouz

Reaction score
Just an additional comment re my mention of Tusq saddles above.

The Martin-cut models fit all my '70s Guilds as well as the '92 D-6.

But by '94, Guild's bridges had changed slightly, and my '94 JF-30 requires a thicker saddle (which actually gives more room for compensation tweaking). Tusq's #PQ-9200 saddle was virtually a perfect fit. The PQ-9200 will also fit many recent Gibson models.

So basically, just be aware that a change did occur in the early to mid '90s.

Edit > From your photo, I believe you have the earlier & thinner Martinish saddle.

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Well done Rev! This kind of deal usually only comes after much fasting and prayer.

So their son bought it to learn to play and couldn't because it was too difficult? Man! I wonder what he would have thought if he had tried to learn on a Stella like I did (with action so high you could keep a spare pack of cigs under the strings at the 12th fret!)

Really nice find tho. The guitar needs to be played!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you really want to enjoy it to it’s fullest, take it to a qualified tech/ luthier and have the nut and saddle replaced with hand-cut, high-quality bone, and use the D’Addario light strings! It’s not expensive, but it will be the best investment you can make for playing pleasure!

I second this advice - did it with the wife's Christmas D-4, and it turned a good sounding guitar into a great sounding guitars. Cost me around $150.

Alternatively, if the original saddle fits well and is the right height, send it off to Bob Colosi along with your bridge pins, and get a replacement compensated bone saddle and new bone pins. I just did it for my D6, for about half of what I spent with on the D4 upgrades. No bone nut, of course, but I'd rather get the saddle done than the nut.

jedzep

Reaction score
Hey... Three things to stay away from under the influence: a steering wheel, a trigger, and the enter key!

:) If by the enter key you mean the always dangerous Buy It Now link...

RevDavidLee

Reaction score
Okay guys, thanks to your suggestions, my string assortment arrived today. Now the fun begins :proud:

29468548_1831900473526736_7708842860342149120_n.jpg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, thanks to your suggestions, my string assortment arrived today. Now the fun begins :proud:

29468548_1831900473526736_7708842860342149120_n.jpg

For the love of the guitar God ! were are the Elixir nanowebs ?

jedzep

Reaction score
...and the TInfeld Spectrums...and the Dunlop 80/20's...and...

This might veer. Sorry Dave. You might want to opt for the 'go fund me' strategy here.

Last edited: