Guild Artist Award '77 with no headstock engraving of jug/star/"artist award"

Reaction score
Guild Artist Award '77 with no headstock engraving of jug/star/"artist award"

Howdy folk,

I'm in the market for an archtop after my Levin 335 was stolen (serial 402385 - incase you see it pop up ;) )

Anyway, I found this beaut '77 Artist Award model however it has a couple of quirks. The one that's making me feel a little uneasy is that it's missing the headstock engraving of the URN/star/'artist award model' in black.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be? Everything else looks like it should bar the 2 heart inlays on 8th & 10th fret.

Cheers
A

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I assume this is the one. Hearts must have been added by a previous owner, no idea why the loving cup and inscription are missing from the headstock.
http://www.greatguitars.com.au/77.Guild.Artist.Award.Jazz.guitar.htm
Brad

OK I had to go look.
That Shadow pickup caught my eye, is that original?
Oh yes, welcome aboard, Ayden 1221.
Don't "fret" if your replies don't appear immediately.
The first few new member posts are vetted by moderators until they're sure you're not a spambot.
Hopefully you'll actually be "live" by tonight or tomorrow, then anything you've posted will show up and the rest in real time. (Is that an oxymoron? :glee:)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome aboard! Hopefully Hans will have more information on this one, but weren't some produced without the stock engraving, so they could be customized with the customer's name? Maybe it was ordered without the engraving, so that the customer could have it personalized later, but never did.
I could do without the hearts, but otherwise love it.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Looks like it's been refretted with some really wide wire. I'd also want to get a good in-person look at that repair in the lower bass bout -- to me, it looks like a rim crush that's been drop-filled with lacquer. It'd be nice to get a feel for how messed up the wood is/isn't in that spot. Non-original pickup and pickguard.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input team! And thanks for the welcomes.
Having a plausible/likely explanation sure helps quell imagination re. No headstock engraving.

The hearts are a curious feature that's for sure.

Anyways, can't wait to see how it feels in my hands.
Cheers
A

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like it's been refretted with some really wide wire. I'd also want to get a good in-person look at that repair in the lower bass bout -- to me, it looks like a rim crush that's been drop-filled with lacquer. It'd be nice to get a feel for how messed up the wood is/isn't in that spot. Non-original pickup and pickguard.

In 1977, Guild used very wide wire on a lot of their electrics, so this is not necessarily a sign that this guitar has had its fret redone.

I love the wide wire, but I know it's not everyone's thing.

Last edited:

BOBBYC

Reaction score
The hearts don't do it for me. The work on the rim are problematic. There's a 1988 on this site in FS FT. For 3500. Also not an original case with the 1977 or I missed seeing one like it before. Welcome here and good luck. The lack of engravings is no problem.

Last edited: