F512 as a 6 string vs F50R - How does it compare?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hey there LTGers,

I was in the midst of a string change on my F512 and thought to myself, hey why don't I try the F512 with a 6 string setup while I'm at it. Since I'm in the hunt for a F50R, I'm thinking this could give me an idea of what kind of tone to expect from a F50R. The body and tone woods are the same except for the bracing which is probably heavier on the F512. From what I'm hearing, if I compare the F512 (as a 6) to my my D55, I'd say its less boomy/boxy than the D55, the bass is tighter and the trebles more present and bell like.

Has anyone here who owns both a F512 and an F50R ever tried this? Is this a fair comparison to get an idea of the F50R tone?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not... It's a great idea for an experiment, Clyde, though I don't know how illuminating it will be.

You might get an idea about tone... Don't forget that soundboard bracing is quite possibly the most important factor in the guitar's sound, and that's different between the 12- and 6-string models, as you noted.

There are also playability concerns... The neck is different, and string spacing, etc., will feel different and possibly weird on the restrung F-512. You probably will also have to adjust the truss rod for reduced tension in a 6-string setup.

But, that all said, I think it's a fun experiment. I'd do it.

I've had F-512 and F-50Rs in the stable over the years. I am a huge fan of both, as anyone who knows me will tell you. I'm certain that if you like the F-512, you're simply going to adore the F-50R.

Interesting in your thoughts about the D-55.... To me, the D-55 is the most well-balanced (tone/volume) dread I've ever played. When I compare it to a D-50, for example, I find the D-50 to be a boomier sound, not as well balanced. Personally, I *like* that, but the D-55 is a marvel of balance. What I've never actually done is compare a D-55 to an F-50R. It's actually a natural comparison, but I can't speak firsthand about it.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Interesting in your thoughts about the D-55.... To me, the D-55 is the most well-balanced (tone/volume) dread I've ever played. When I compare it to a D-50, for example, I find the D-50 to be a boomier sound, not as well balanced. Personally, I *like* that, but the D-55 is a marvel of balance.

Yes to me the D55 is quite balanced, but not particularly loud. Maybe "boomy" isn't the right word... maybe "boxy" is a better description as compared to the F512 or my SJ200, although these are jumbos with a fatter bass response, the tighter jumbo waist seems control the bass better (at least to my ears ) than the dreadnought. I'm probably biased though since I seem to gravitate towards jumbos.

F312

Reaction score
When I change strings on my 12 string guitars I leave the bass strings on for a while to play it as a 6 string. I've been doing that for over 40 years.

Ralph