NGD (the Other G)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got the sale Gibby SG Special delivered yesterday. Pretty much as expected, except for the setup. Now, I will say that as a “new” guitar over a year old, I suppose it’s anlittle much to expect it to be as it left the factory, but it required some considerable adjustment of the truss rod to straighten the neck’s up bow, and I will still need to tweak the bridge height. (If this was, indeed, Gibson’s factory specs, then no wonder they are in trouble.) Playing it acoustically, there was a dry sound to the frets and fretboard, telling me that it really needs some oil on the fretboard, and some 12000 micro mesh love to the frets. Plugged in, you don’t notice it.
The Model is a bit of a mystery. It was advertised as a 2017, which is what the serial number reflects, but the check card says it was finished on 12/8/2016. But, in 2016, the Special had a thicker neck, with a volute, and a pickguard, and no crown on the headstock. The 2017 had the thinner neck, no volute, and the crown, but had full size humbuckers with a pickguard. So, a transitional model? Using up the minihumbucker routed body from ‘16 with the ‘17 neck. If there is additional routing under the pickguard, then they would have to have used leftover bodies from the limited edition ‘16 SG Naked Model, which had P90s, but also no pickguard.
As for the sound and feel, the 60s slim taper neck feels good to my hand, and the mini-hums have that punchier, brighter sound compared to full size buckers. While it can clean up with the right amp, this is at its best driving a good Marshall type amp. At least that’s how I plan to use it.
Along with the guitar, I got a Gibson branded strap (of the cheapest kind), the typical paperwork, truss rod tool and Allen key (higher end models get a multi-tool), and the crappiest gig bag you’ve ever seen. (Which I was expecting. They now come with a much nicer gig bag, but I have a deluxe Gator case coming in.)
The pics:

2f269f36-cfe7-4f3e-8433-f661ba2eeae3.jpeg

The
6d9f4afb-7716-4e11-b53c-69f0939febd8.jpeg

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a lot of mahogany beauty at a fire sale price, Chris.

Not sure what to say about the setup. I wonder if someone returned it after mucking with it.

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be able to turn this into a great addition to the stable.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a lot of mahogany beauty at a fire sale price, Chris.

Not sure what to say about the setup. I wonder if someone returned it after mucking with it.
No sign that it, or the box seals, had been touched. I think just from sitting in the warehouse for over a year in the box, it settled and got its initial wood movement.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Had the same issue with my 2015 LP special
It sat in the warehouse for so long untouched that it lost whatever setup it had. Fret ends are a little poky-outy, but only a tad.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Had the same issue with my 2015 LP special
It sat in the warehouse for so long untouched that it lost whatever setup it had. Fret ends are a little poky-outy, but only a tad.
Plus, with the flat gig bag, it’s been pushing on the neck for over a year.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a pretty cool guitar. I had a GOTW #37 SG for a while that was an absolute monster due to the Alnico II P90s in it. I would think mini-hums with a touch of high-end sparkle would match really well with the mahogany body of an SG.

Good luck with it!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
REALLY tempted to turn the truss rod cover the “right” side up. :wink-new:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Chris, is that a satin finish, or maybe a semi-gloss? Or just good photography on a really shiny guitar? It sure is pretty. So much mahogany!! Congrats, amigo! You'll get the setup stuff worked out and ..... YAAAY!! :encouragement:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got the Gator hard case in for the SG. It’s not a Gibson case, but it’s close enough, complete with pink interior and dust cover, and brown tolex outside; just $100+ less. Nice roomy accessory box.
d208d380-e321-484a-9414-fa09677441cb.jpeg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Nice! SGs with mini-hums sound fab IMO. Lotsa treble snap but without the spikiness you can get with the minis on an LP Deluxe.

-Dave-