Cool Guild Sighting John Doe, Exene, and Phoebe

Kitarkus

Reaction score

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Great photos from the concert in that album, and some great shots of a well-worn Guild guitar. I like the American buffalo in the diorama behind the stage. Cool setting!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Don't think D35's ever got chesterfields (could be wrong, but they were actually introduced at same time as D25, like a "running mate", which definitely never got chesterfield.
That was the sign of a D40 (and they even came and went on those)..anyway, I'm betting it's either a D40 or D50 and no way to tell beyond that, unless maybe Hans can, LOL!
(Tortoise pickguard might be a giveaway for a D40, and pic #16 looks like a through-the bridge saddle which gives a clue that it's from before the drop-in saddle period.
Note also that along with the through-bridge saddle very early D25's/35's got this funky-looking 'guard:
d35-1.JPG

And since the sides of John's axe somehow look kind of "hog-ish" I'm leaning more and more toward D40.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
And since the sides of John's axe somehow look kind of "hog-ish" I'm leaning more and more toward D40.

I'd bet you are correct...and man oh man do I wish that I could borrow some of your free time!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't think D35's ever got chesterfields (could be wrong, but they were actually introduced at same time as D25, like a "running mate", which definitely never got chesterfield.
That was the sign of a D40 (and they even came and went on those)..anyway, I'm betting it's either a D40 or D50 and no way to tell beyond that, unless maybe Hans can

Not sure what's going on with that headstock; doesn't look like a Chesterfield inlay to me.

Not much detail, but from what I can see in that photo I would think we're looking at a late '70s/early '80s D-35.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Not sure what's going on with that headstock; doesn't look like a Chesterfield inlay to me.

Not much detail, but from what I can see in that photo I would think we're looking at a late '70s/early '80s D-35.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Man what an eagle eye!
And probably "spank me" for seeing that "stripe" and assuming it was a chesterfield.....photo 11's better for headstock detail.
Kitartkus;
YOU get a full refund....