Looking for a starter guitar for my boy

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sometimes kids just don't understand how complicated the whole coordination thing is.
Very few things come "naturally" to anybody, tell him it's just like a sport, it takes a lot of practice to learn how to bat well, or dribble, or even stay on a bike without falling over..
Also Stuball's advice about starting off with really simple 2 or 3 chord tunes is very good.

Were you trying to teach in your native tongue?

Play along song yes good idea , needs to be able to play chords first .

Yes Al lol my native tongue 5 floggings for you sir !

When I as 15 my Mom bought me a cheap acoustic for like $15. I couldn't put it down, practiced 4 hours a day, to the detriment of my homework. Then I went and bought an Epiphone hollow body electric and played it through my stereo. Almost thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Can't believe I sold that Epiphone!

Anyway, just thinking your boy might appreciate an easy-playing electric a bit more for starters. You can get an Epi LP for $79 and a cheap amp, that might help motivate him to play guitar...

Yup electric guitar decided to give him my Monoprice fender strat copy whammy bar and all this very morning .

It’s a well built and finished sunburst that sounds pretty good , whammy even stays in tune no matter how hard you beat it !

70 bucks new ;) I’ll add a few pics later on .

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
He Ray, If he now has your electric there is a pretty cool tool out there for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, or PS4. It is called "Rocksmith 2014". I am not sure if they have a newer version out or not but the game actually teaches him how to play real guitar by plugging his guitar into the Xbox 360 via a chord provided. It will let him pick an Amp sound that he likes from a ton of options, Teach him about tuning his guitar and alternate tunings with a built in tuner on the game, teach him individual lessons and techniques in both lead and rhythm styles, and then teach him to play actual songs by real artists of almost any period and Genre on the game itself. It is like a virtual wealth of Guitar Encyclopedia information and lessons all rolled into a video game. I love it personally and wish they would have had it around when I was 11, then I would have never put the guitar down until I was older. All you need is a guitar with a pickup to plug into the game and play and it sounds like you got him squared away in that department. If you search for "Rocksmith 2014" all the info should pop up. Have a good one man!

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
He Ray, If he now has your electric there is a pretty cool tool out there for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, or PS4. It is called "Rocksmith 2014". I am not sure if they have a newer version out or not but the game actually teaches him how to play real guitar by plugging his guitar into the Xbox 360 via a chord provided. It will let him pick an Amp sound that he likes from a ton of options, Teach him about tuning his guitar and alternate tunings with a built in tuner on the game, teach him individual lessons and techniques in both lead and rhythm styles, and then teach him to play actual songs by real artists of almost any period and Genre on the game itself. It is like a virtual wealth of Guitar Encyclopedia information and lessons all rolled into a video game. I love it personally and wish they would have had it around when I was 11, then I would have never put the guitar down until I was older. All you need is a guitar with a pickup to plug into the game and play and it sounds like you got him squared away in that department. If you search for "Rocksmith 2014" all the info should pop up. Have a good one man!

TX
Cool did not know that ! Xbox one here . 😁

mike1100

Reaction score
I bought my kid a used black fender squier mini strat and a used fender mustang amp for $200. I then ripped out the stock tuners and replaced them with AmStd fender tuners (setup job with .10s).

I've given it a few rounds and it is a fun guitar. Perhaps later, I could upgrade the pickups / pots, but for now he's happy. We've also thought about painting it as a splatocaster.....we'll see.

If your kid was say 14, I'd say look for a used Yamaha Pacifica guitar. They are amazing for the price.

I love acoustics, but they can be tough on kid's fingers versus electrics. Guitar video game tie-ins can also be a blast. Cheap and electric can be a lot of fun.....

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I bought my kid a used black fender squier mini strat and a used fender mustang amp for $200. I then ripped out the stock tuners and replaced them with AmStd fender tuners (setup job with .10s).

I've given it a few rounds and it is a fun guitar. Perhaps later, I could upgrade the pickups / pots, but for now he's happy. We've also thought about painting it as a splatocaster.....we'll see.

If your kid was say 14, I'd say look for a used Yamaha Pacifica guitar. They are amazing for the price.

I love acoustics, but they can be tough on kid's fingers versus electrics. Guitar video game tie-ins can also be a blast. Cheap and electric can be a lot of fun.....

Thank you :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The new acoustic pics none Guild and cheating by throwing in electric pics .
these are just quickies so photo ain't great .

YCd06uW.jpg
[/IMG]
CbgcvgT.jpg
[/IMG]
2nfpr5v.jpg
[/IMG]
pUCmteW.jpg
[/IMG]

Electric by Monoprice

JZPxbc7.jpg
[/IMG]
KdZJ8OA.jpg
[/IMG]
wefHs3C.jpg
[/IMG]
mAxP0QT.jpg
[/IMG]

oops I need to vacuum LOL dang dog !

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Cool electric, Ray! I would have loved that as a kid!

Careful not to get too many toe prints on the finish!

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool electric, Ray! I would have loved that as a kid!

Careful not to get too many toe prints on the finish!

walrus

I bought it for me ! Lol then I bought a Epi Koa les Paul pro . :)