Looking at a mint 98 Westerly JF30... opinions?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hey,

A mint 98 Westerly JF30 popped up locally near me. Seller is asking $750, I could probably knock him down to $650-700.
A part from the bling, would this version have scalloped bracing?

59.jpg

592.jpg

593.jpg

594.jpg

Are the necks on the Westerly JF30 pretty chunky, or would it resemble my NH d55?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pretty if I could only get along with maple other then furniture lol

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the bracing is scalloped or not on these but for sure it is Sitka Bracing and not the Adirondack that is in your New Hartford models. As far as the neck profiles are concerned they were spec'ed out at 1-11/16" nut widths but during this period all of the necks were actually finished by hand so there is a good bit of variety in the actual width and profile. I have seen Guilds from this era spec'ed out for 1-11/16" be as wide as 1-3/4" and as narrow as 1-5/8" and all in between. I have also seen neck profiles go from nice and chunky to thin and fast as well within the same models. This is probably going to have to be a go and play it moment to make sure it is comfortable to you. I have played JF30's that were Amazing and some that were just kinda Blah which leans even more to playing it before you make a decision. Make sure to check the base of the bridge on this one as well. Some of the Westerly made Guilds have a habit of the bridge lifting a bit from the top at the bottom of the bridge. Not a hard fix but if that is the case the bridge will need to be removed and properly reinstalled.

Something else that is different on these as opposed to a New Hartford F50 Standard or Traditional is the necks on these JF30's are 3 piece with Maple being the main wood while the New Hartford models had a 3 piece neck with Hog being the main wood. To me the Hog necks give the guitar a different color of tone than the Maple ones. Just an observation as always.

Hope this helps!

TX

Last edited:

swiveltung

Reaction score
I've not had a Westerly that I would describe as chunky. I suppose they are out there.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure I like the Fishman barn door too much, Clyde. But, different folks will have different reactions to that.

It sure looks nice (otherwise). Can't answer your question on the bracing, but I doubt they're scalloped. Might ask the seller to try a picture with a mirror in the soundhole for you.

No matter what, these JF-30s are great values.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
would this version have scalloped bracing?
The 1998 Guild Gallery had a list of spec features and the JF-30 is shown with "Jumbo X" bracing. (Other guitars in the list have "Standard X", "Scalloped", "Shaved", "Hoboken X" bracings). So I would assume "Jumbo X" is not scalloped.
Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, hey, for the record, Rich, I wasn't commenting on the Fishman system's performance... All I meant was that I really don't like the massive rectangular hole that it leaves on guitar body and I consider it a serious minus in value as far as buying a guitar is concerned.