Silk and Bronze .13s?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
.12-.53 is their heaviest. they call it light/medium for the silks but we know they are really lights.
very nice strings by the way, by far best silks out there IMHO.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Just for the sake of my limited experience with them, what guitar(s) are you guys using the silks on?

Reaction score
I've used the light and medium-light S&Bs from GHS, Pearse, Martin, and Thomastik on all of my flat-tops--Guilds, Martins, ancient Washburns, Goodall, Cloutier. I like the sound just fine, and they wear reasonably well.

There is one "heavy" S&B set, the Tomastik Plectrum series 013-061 set (AC113T), which also mixes flatwound ADG with a roundwound low E. Thomastiks are famously pricey but very nice. Despite the name, they're not really for archtop guitars--though apparently some players have used them so.

Last edited:

valleyguy

Reaction score
I've used the light and medium-light S&Bs from GHS, Pearse, Martin, and Thomastik on all of my flat-tops--Guilds, Martins, ancient Washburns, Goodal, Cloutierl. I like the sound just fine, and they wear reasonably well.

Which martin did you use the Flex core or Marquis, how do you think they compared to the GHS?

Reaction score
Though I've been generally indifferent to Martin strings, the Flexible Core Silk & Phosphor seem to be quite close to the GHS 11-49 set, which have been my go-to S&Bs for years. Partly, to be sure, because of local availability, but they're also reliable.

valleyguy

Reaction score
Though I've been generally indifferent to Martin strings, the Flexible Core Silk & Phosphor seem to be quite close to the GHS 11-49 set, which have been my go-to S&Bs for years. Partly, to be sure, because of local availability, but they're also reliable.

Thanks, I like the GHS, so I will give those a try.