Question about D25 - The arch !

merlin6666

Reaction score
So were these archback D-25 manufactured in the same way as the maple F-40s, i.e. laminated and pressed without braces?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Found the all-hog Westerly D4 that sold on ebay recently.
Also must have been produced in low numbers, this may be the only example I've seen for sale in the past several years.
I think I've seen like 4 listings total and I think one of 'em was the same guitar being sold again.
Not sure why someone stuck a GAD pick guard on it, if I'd have scored this that would've been the first thing to go.
Like so many D4s for sale, plastic heel cap is awol... LOL.
I can see the shadow of the original 'guard there, and I recall on recent new member reporting that apparently the 'guards were installed over the satin finish, (unlike being finished over when they got HG) and apparently come off easily with a little heat.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok I was sent the serial number in which a owner thought his Arch back was a 1971

The number is 113903
If I’m not mistaken that makes it a 1975 if so a little bummer for the owner about his purchase date.

Hans if you see this please confirm ;) it’s Coffee time ! Morning all 😁

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok I was sent the serial number in which a owner thought his Arch back was a 1971

The number is 113903
If I’m not mistaken that makes it a 1975 if so a little bummer for the owner about his purchase date.

Hans if you see this please confirm ;) it’s Coffee time ! Morning all ��

Good morning Rayk,

Yup, that's an instrument from 1975. Believe me, he's not the first person who remembers it differently!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good morning Rayk,

Yup, that's an instrument from 1975. Believe me, he's not the first person who remembers it differently!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Lol up early are ya , or is it late ? I don’t know where your at . Yeah guess so I’m just learning that side of things . More Coffee !

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the bowl shaped, internally unbraced back acts as an "audio parabolic mirror" reflecting back through the sound hole.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it!

1kzIwAL.jpg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think the bowl shaped, internally unbraced back acts as an "audio parabolic mirror" reflecting back through the sound hole.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it!

1kzIwAL.jpg

I can not argue that point! 😁

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
D-25 Archback

Hello Rayk,

That has been covered in detail many times before. Yes, I have 1976 as the year for the change in my book, but that was published more than 20 years ago.
Soon after the book was published additional research showed that the change to an arched back took place a couple of years earlier and that the first arched back D-25s were done during 1973.

1971 seems too early according to my research, so if your source can give the serial number of his arched back D-25 that he thinks he bought in 1971, I will check that against my records.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hi Hans!

Just saw this thread.

I can confirm the arch back existed in 73.

I bought one with graduation money the year I graduated high school. It was the late summer of 1973.

I sold the Guitar many years ago, so can't provide a serial number. But it was definitely an arch back. Great guitar!