Pissed off

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Not the proper venue, but I am damn annoyed. I would really have appreciated if one of couple of guys I asked would have sat in with my band tomorrow afternoon. For 3 hours.

It would really have been helpful for me.

Maybe the guy whose CD mastering at Gateway I had paid for would have driven over. Or the guy whose band has been using my practice room free of charge for two years.

But it's "no can do" thanks to family obligations.

I've been way blessed by God with good fortune so it's OK, but I would have welcomed a bit of reciprocity.

And I'm grateful I'm he one complaining. So, never mind.

Still ....

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a bummer. Sometimes when a crunch rolls up on you, you find out who you can count on
and who you can't... either way, good to know going forward.

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
Bummer, but at least you're pissed off rather than pissed on. It could be worse.
Don't forget that those guys might have their own obligations, too.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a bummer. Sometimes when a crunch rolls up on you, you find out who you can count on
and who you can't... either way, good to know going forward.
^^^^ What he said!! Make sure going forward that you remember who wasn't there in a pinch. Family? Unless they're all dying they'll be there tomorrow or the next day. Sounds like a frail excuse to me but... I'm a selfish bastard! LMAO!!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can sympathize, but the job has ripped me away from so many things I would rather do. Right now, we have so many people hurt and sick that I pulled a 70 hour week, and next week isn't looking any better.

Would have been nice if somebody stepped up, though.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Sad to say it, but being a decent person is often its own, only reward. At least now you have who these people are more accurately dialed in and can tailor your subsequent interactions with them accordingly. Being angry with them would be a waste of your time and energy, as would be going out of your way from here on to help them since it clearly would not be appreciated to a degree which would likely inspire reciprocation on their part. If they express indignation or even just disappointment when you turn down their next request of a favor, calmly remind them that friendship is a two-way street which they couldn't be bothered to go down when you needed THEIR help. Could be that "family obligations" will preclude your paying for further CD mastering or providing any more rent-free rehearsal space.

To be fair (for a second) I was generally an adherent to the "family comes first" philosophy when we were raising our kids. That said, since the favors you did these people sound non-trivial, I think you were entitled to at least a cursory explanation of the circumstances rather than some vague, generic, blow-off response.

For me, this would be one of those "hose me once, shame on you/hose me twice, shame on ME" moments. They've shown their true colors, so don't be surprised if nothing in their future behavior indicates a change of character.

The only thing that would cause me to temper that attitude would be if they were to come to you, unsolicited, apologize and ask if there is anything else they can do to make up for letting you down.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess I really should not have let my nose get out of joint because you didn't offer to fly me to Maine...

:)

Although I probably would have had to bow out anyway. Dragged a bass and amp to church today to help the organist compete with a bagpipe.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
A lot of wisdom in the responses here. Thanks!

(FYI both are empty nesters so I was not being a stone cold arsewipe.)

But these things pass quickly and are of little importance in the grand scheme.

Worked out OK. I played 3 hours and 45 minutes without break or ill effect. Fun!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Although I probably would have had to bow out anyway. Dragged a bass and amp to church today to help the organist compete with a bagpipe.

And aren't you glad you didn't drag an organ to church to help the bagpipe player compete with a bassist?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And aren´t we all glad for not having bagpipes around?

I wonder if there is a bagpipe equivalent of LTG ???

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
one of the houses i grew up in when living in Newport RI as a kid, a couple blocks down from us, dude had bagpipes. couple times a week he would don a kilt and walk outside his house and pipe for an hour. it was cool from far away. real loud too. he would just walk around his front yard, blowing away. still better than a subwoofer any day.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hahhaaaaahhhhhh

Imagine all young people in their cars driving around blowing bagpipes instead of thumping subwoofers. What then would ambulances and fire brigade have ?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love bagpipes, but then I'm Irish so I can't help it.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Organist? Bagpipes? Whoa, double whammy.

From my experience, what's worse is when they say they'll be there and then they don't show up for the gig. Had a banjo player do that to me once, for a bluegrass gig that we ended up having to do without a banjo; he didn't get a second invite.

F312

Reaction score
I’d have to practice a lot to get some standard tunes down, and be afraid I’d run out of breath, so maybe hook an aircompressor up to it, ...no?

Ralph

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I’d have to practice a lot to get some standard tunes down, and be afraid I’d run out of breath, so maybe hook an aircompressor up to it, ...no?

Ralph

htb1xwxgrpxxxxacxxxxq6xxfxxxh.1518713732.jpg

Voila!
Electric bagpipes.