Fair price for Guild X700

BOBBYC

Reaction score
What is a fair price for an X700 in excellent condition with ohsc? Thanks. I see them on reverb and eBay at about $4200.00

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What is a fair price for an X700 in excellent condition with ohsc? Thanks. I see them on reverb and eBay at about $4200.00
That’s the asking price. Check for sold listings. In the Vintage Guitar Guide they are priced about the same as the X-500s, actually, a little less, at $2300 for excellent examples.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hate to be that guy, but they're worth what someone is willing to pay. I don't buy into price guides much, but I would pay more for one than I would for an X500. It REALLY depends, though, on if it's the finish you want and if it's really in excellent condition vs. someone's idea of excellent condition. I don't like the blonde ones, so I wouldn't pay as much as I would for a killer sunburst one, but only if it's that cool sunburst with the red in it from the mid-90s that doesn't show up much. :)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, but when someone is asking for guidance, “what someone is willing to pay” doesn’t really help. That’s what the guides are for, to give some type of objective starting point for both buyer and seller. They are based on sold prices over the previous year(s), so they are not just someone’s subjective opinion.
I don’t know why the X-700s haven’t had the same value, nor do I necessarily agree (although, since they are carved tops, it might have something to do with the better feedback resistant laminated tops in the X-500s. Just a thought.) It could also have something to do with how often they are sold; maybe none have sold in the last few years. After all, they only were produced for 5 years.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, but when someone is asking for guidance, “what someone is willing to pay” doesn’t really help. That’s what the guides are for, to give some type of objective starting point for both buyer and seller. They are based on sold prices over the previous year(s), so they are not just someone’s subjective opinion.
I don’t know why the X-700s haven’t had the same value, nor do I necessarily agree (although, since they are carved tops, it might have something to do with the better feedback resistant laminated tops in the X-500s. Just a thought.) It could also have something to do with how often they are sold; maybe none have sold in the last few years. After all, they only were produced for 5 years.

Yeah, I get it. To me the answer is far more "what sold eBay auctions" and "recent Reverb" deals show. Maybe it's having seen the book publishing process first hand and knowing how hard it is to keep anything in print current that's made me not trust price guide books. Arguably that should be instant and obvious these days, kind of like how Reverb shows what the price range is when you make an offer, though their system is too vague for me since it groups too many items together.

The other problem is that we all know what it's like to REALLY want a very specific guitar, which is why I pointed out the red 'burst thing. I'd pay far more for that than I would for blonde, but that's just me, and "me being me" is probably another big reason why I ignore price guides. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The other problem is that we all know what it's like to REALLY want a very specific guitar, which is why I pointed out the red 'burst thing. I'd pay far more for that than I would for blonde, but that's just me,

I think that's probably at least one reason why some folks start out with "insane" asking prices, too.
I y'aint in a real big hurry to sell, you can afford to wait for "the one guy" who really really wants it to nibble on the hook, maybe?
Of course if you see that with a dime-a-dozen piece you know you just have a venal SOB listing something they may not even know is a dime-a-dozen piece...

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'd think "somewhere b/w an Artist Award and X-500 of similar era" would be the range for these. I'd also guess that the first year ('94) models that still had real HB-1s and the later ones with the Benedetto tie-in would be worth a little more than the years in between.

My '94 is a fantastic instrument w/ a nice round 1.75" neck, very highly-figured maple and a super tight-grained top. I've seen some pretty wide variation in the maple on these and would assume that better figured examples would sell for more money.

geoguy

Reaction score
IIRC, there are at least two flavors of the X-700.

My understanding is that the "X-700 Benedetto Stuart" version, would command the highest price. Well-regarded archtop-guitar builder Bob Benedetto had a lot to do with that model.

BOBBYC

Reaction score
Its a 1994 blonde for 2900.00. The fellow who owns it can't play any more he's getting older. I do have an X500 with the hint of red in the Sunburst. My AA is Sunburst but sadly only 2 color. I like Blondes and natural. Usually I decide guitar to guitar what I'm going to buy. Color came into play on my last X170 it is natural finish. Also my Gibson Es Artist I bought because of color. Violin Sunburst are readily available and a antique cherry Sunburst came up and I made the purchase just for the color. That and the fact I wanted the 335 style without f holes and a Lucille is out.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Its a 1994 blonde for 2900.00. The fellow who owns it can't play any more he's getting older. I do have an X500 with the hint of red in the Sunburst. My AA is Sunburst but sadly only 2 color. I like Blondes and natural. Usually I decide guitar to guitar what I'm going to buy. Color came into play on my last X170 it is natural finish. Also my Gibson Es Artist I bought because of color. Violin Sunburst are readily available and a antique cherry Sunburst came up and I made the purchase just for the color. That and the fact I wanted the 335 style without f holes and a Lucille is out.

I wouldn't sell you my '94 for that. If it's a no-issues guitar in nice shape, that seems like a decent price.

Mine looks like this:
lcpxE7A.jpg

CE0UBuO.jpg

0UH0T1R.jpg

ZgBk5Yc.jpg

a9VXsoa.jpg

BOBBYC

Reaction score
The guitar is a little less figured both on back and neck than yours but overall would be a close twin as it photographed.

BOBBYC

Reaction score
I passed on buying it awhile back. Its still available so I'm having second thoughts...And then there's the Gibson L5 in Denver for a grand less than anywhere else...

kakerlak

Reaction score
Mine's S/N 16, for reference -- not sure how high they went in 1994. If it's something you can check out locally and you have the cash to burn, I'd go check it out and see what you think.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
1994 is a magic year for Guild electrics IMO. If it's got HB1s it's worth more, at least to us 'round these parts.

matsickma

Reaction score
Vear alert...

Speaking of guitar prices...does anyone seem to notice that guitar prices on Reverb seem to be listed higher than eBay?

I would have thought the opposite but I tend to notice they are listed on the high side. Anyone else?

M

kakerlak

Reaction score
1994 is a magic year for Guild electrics IMO. If it's got HB1s it's worth more, at least to us 'round these parts.

I think "us 'round these parts" likely is the market for stuff like this, lol. GAD, I still think you need to track down a '94 X-700 for personal enjoyment. I think you'll like the carved top voice for playing around on the couch and you know you'll like the HB-1s and 1.75" neck.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think "us 'round these parts" likely is the market for stuff like this, lol. GAD, I still think you need to track down a '94 X-700 for personal enjoyment. I think you'll like the carved top voice for playing around on the couch and you know you'll like the HB-1s and 1.75" neck.

Agreed on all counts. Maybe once I get some of these other guitars cleared out.