To open or not to open.....

beecee

Reaction score
The D-25-12 Burst arrived at the UPS warehouse Saturday a.m. from Elkhart Indiana and spent the day and Sunday at the warehouse. Popped on the truck at 7:00 a.m. today.

It is now at the GC.

What do you think? Open today, or wait??

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
beecee was that a heated warehouse?

If it wasn't freezing cold, then you're probably safe to pull the case out of the shipping box. HOWEVER, touch the latches and see if they're cold to the touch or not. If they are, don't open the case until it's had more adjustment time.

That's my advice anyway.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
48 hours is usually plenty of time to let the guitar acclimate. It also depends on the temperature spread between outside and inside.
I'm in Canada, and had a few guitars with nitro finishes delivered in the dead of winter where it dips to single digits (F) and below. Never had a problem after 48h acclimation.

Good luck!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Once you open, you can't unopen. Even though its torture, best to go through the acclimation process. You can feel how cold the box is to gauge when to broach it, but leave it a few hours at least. Then the same for taking the case out of the box. Then the same for finally opening the case.

beecee

Reaction score
Chris,

You're no fun...you're the guy on my right shoulder!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, we've all been there, we know the torture. It'll probably be fine if you open it now. But, if the dreaded checks come, you'll hate yourself forever for not waiting.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The D-25-12 Burst arrived at the UPS warehouse Saturday a.m. from Elkhart Indiana and spent the day and Sunday at the warehouse. Popped on the truck at 7:00 a.m. today.

It is now at the GC.

What do you think? Open today, or wait??

So the warehouse and GC are in your general neighborhood? What's your temperature? If it's not below freezing, I doubt you'd have to wait more than a few hours, if that. As mentioned, is the box cold to the touch? Then, is the case cold? You just don't want a sudden change of temp. Waiting for days is unnecessary masochism in my book!

beecee

Reaction score
See the ebaygbase thread. The guitar was a dud, split top, back on their website w/no mention

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
From painful first-hand experience, walk away, do not open for...a couple of weeks! :victorious:
Just kidding of course. Couple of days should be fine and the idea from Chaz about feeling the latches is good, as well.

*It might bring back painful memories to post an image of what I did to my '89 D50. D'oh!!

Joe

Dondoh

Reaction score
Sorry that it didn't turn out for you.
I contacted a GC a year ago about a "good" condition Martin D12-20 that was very reasonably priced. I talked to an associate who said the only thing he saw wrong with it was a few scratches in the sides. Deep scratches but no big deal. I asked for some pictures. WHen I got them it was painfully obvious that the guitar had been crushed. The side was punctured and split in 4 different directions, none of which were along the grain... It looked like an elephant sat on it and then someone threw a javelin in the side.
Hope your next one is a better experience.