Got the D47

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What a cool guitar. Damn nice condition, no warps, no bulges, plenty of saddle, and sounds like a million bucks. I've always loved the way these sound but it's very rare that I actually come across one. Might be my first Guild acoustic review!

Pics later. I spent all day at the DMV since my daughter passed her driving test. I'll need the distraction so I'm not thinking about her out there driving alone. I mean, just last week we bought her a bigger car seat because she outgrew the infant one. I swear that was last week...

GAD

Edit - yeah, it's a D46.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What a cool guitar. Damn nice condition, no warps, no bulges, plenty of saddle, and sounds like a million bucks. I've always loved the way these sound but it's very rare that I actually come across one. Might be my first Guild acoustic review!

Pics later. I spent all day at the DMV since my daughter passed her driving test. I'll need the distraction so I'm not thinking about her out there driving alone. I mean, just last week we bought her a bigger car seat because she outgrew the infant one. I swear that was last week...

GAD

D47?
Don't even think Grot has one of these.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GAD
Just read your post to my wife and she is vibrating the room with laughter. Then she said, "it does seem like just last week."
Congrats on a keeper

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
D46. I've had a rough day. :biggrin-new:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
D47?
Don't even think Grot has one of these.
'

Yeah GAD got me all excited as I was going to call dibs on buying it from him after he finished his review.

A D-47 is the last guitar I need to complete my "Crossroad" series.

In case y'all have never seen one:

productimage-picture-guild-d47-ce-15247-51374.jpg

productimage-picture-guild-d47-ce-15247-51373.jpg

Here's my "matching" DS-48 Thinline:

rt085.jpg

So which back does your D-46 have? Two piece or three piece?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah GAD got me all excited as I was going to call dibs on buying it from him after he finished his review.

A D-47 is the last guitar I need to complete my "Crossroad" series.

Boy that's one of the all-time "gotchas"... :glee:
I remember the DS48ce
1983DS48CE.jpg

In fact, is that not the same guitar, re-photo'd? (going by the top striping)

but I truly don't remember ever seeing a D47, ce or no.
I'm assuming it's one of those that was only made in "ce" configuration?
Something else catching my eye, is that the same 24-3/4" 2 full octave 24-fret neck they used on the F45ce?
(Working on gettin' GAD even more hotted up, LOL!)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stay Strong GAD And congrats on the D46! Looking forward to your review if you write one. Always been curious about the Ash back and sides Guild Dread.

TX

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Boy that's one of the all-time "gotchas"... :glee:
I remember the DS48ce
1983DS48CE.jpg

In fact, is that not the same guitar, re-photo'd? (going by the top striping)

but I truly don't remember ever seeing a D47, ce or no.
I'm assuming it's one of those that was only made in "ce" configuration?
Something else catching my eye, is that the same 24-3/4" 2 full octave 24-fret neck they used on the F45ce?
(Working on gettin' GAD even more hotted up, LOL!)

Yes it's the same guitar! I forgot the "S". I have edited my post. The "Crossroads" series had a "thick" model and a "thin" model. All were CE's with 24 frets.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gary I get you. It's tough being on this earth for so long. I know people and we meet up after "a while" and I'm like, "How is that little dickens??" And they're like, "She started college this spring...." and I feel like.... WTF?? How the hell did THAT happen?

But this was about guitars, right? I'm so confused about what guitar you bought right now. Can you post some photos or something? Not what it's not, but what it is??? :saturn:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good Lord that D47 is ugly. You know, in a beautiful Guild sort of way. :emmersed:

Back the D46, I LOVE the tone of this thing. It reminds me of my Koa Taylor with it's tight bass. awesome harmonics, and percussive response.

Sadly, it's got a 1 5/8" neck. Booo! It's also got mini tuners on it which I thought was odd. They say Guild and look original, though.

This is the one I bought: https://reverb.com/item/10411923-guild-d46-1985-natural I'm happy it's a 2-piece back, but wish it had the tighter grain like the neck does. Still, I don't spend much time looking at the back because I love the way it sounds.

wd8r7issomk2pn0q613v.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OH HELL YEAH!! I love those Ash Guild dreads especially when there's no rosewood piece in the middle!! Gary that's fu**n awesome!! Ash back and sides AND neck and spruce top!! I think you did good on that one, bro!! YEAH!!! Mmmmmmmm........ thanks for posting the photos, amigo!! :encouragement::encouragement:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are you sure those are mini tuners? They kinda look like regular Guild tuners from that period, I think but, I'm the last one to know anything. Congrats!! That's BEAUTIFUL!!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are you sure those are mini tuners? They kinda look like regular Guild tuners from that period, I think but, I'm the last one to know anything. Congrats!! That's BEAUTIFUL!!

Lord knows I've been wrong before. :)

I'll post a pic with them next to regular tuners tomorrow.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Really incredible back wood. Wow. Stunning. I bet that dread can peel paint off wall.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is a good looking Guild GAD. I really like the solid 2 piece ash back on this one as opposed to the ones with the rosewood strip down middle of the back. Nice Score!

TX

Last edited: