Steeleye Span - Gaudete

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was trying out my new amp just on the vocals and don was impressed. It's just me singing and knowing these old Renaissance songs from back in the day and the latin is LOST on me but I can sing it!! Maddy Prior, however can make any song sing beyond anything I could do... she's an ange!!

Gaudete!!!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
...speaking of Renaissance music, I've been listing to Blackmore's Night, a band with Richie Blackmore (of Deep Purple) and his wife Candace. Numerous songs on youtube, here's just one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtyQOz39RZM

walrus

To veer completely, about a decade ago a friend of mine showed me an article in a music journal that documented Vivaldi's influence on Richie Blackmore. Specifically the "bits and pieces" Blackmore used in solos were the same bits and pieces, often in the same order, that Vivaldi used in his concertos. (Music joke: did Vivaldi write many concertos for many instruments or one concerto that he reworked as necessary?) While I was surprised and amused at the time I have since seen Blackmore interviews where he acknowledges the influence of 'classical music' on his playing.

As for Gaudete that is a nice performance but some of the Latin pronunciation makes me cringe, if only because I've spent decades with choir directors trying to correct mine ;-)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
To veer completely, about a decade ago a friend of mine showed me an article in a music journal that documented Vivaldi's influence on Richie Blackmore. Specifically the "bits and pieces" Blackmore used in solos were the same bits and pieces, often in the same order, that Vivaldi used in his concertos. (Music joke: did Vivaldi write many concertos for many instruments or one concerto that he reworked as necessary?) While I was surprised and amused at the time I have since seen Blackmore interviews where he acknowledges the influence of 'classical music' on his playing.

Blackmore has said that pretty much every song he wrote was "borrowed" from something else!

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As for Gaudete that is a nice performance but some of the Latin pronunciation makes me cringe, if only because I've spent decades with choir directors trying to correct mine ;-)
As did I. Even my choir directors disagreed on how some of the Latin was to be pronounced. And keep in mind it's an electrified (not in this song) Scottish folk/rock band. They talk funny anyway...... (ducks and runs for cover!!)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, essentially, that's Scottish-accented Latin. So, it's improper to listen to this without a (tall) glass of Abelour. :)

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to something new (to me), Tom. Very cool. The lyrics pop up right away in a Google search for gaudete. I still don't know what it means (and I refuse to run translate). Tom, are you saying you can sing the part that Maddy's singing in falsetto? I can't even come near it. Then again, I haven't had any of the aforementioned scotch today. :)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Every time I hear this song it reminds me of probably the first time I heard it, on a tiny transistor radio I carried around the way folks carry smartgizmos now. Usually tuned to CKLW or WABX. The vocals made the radio's speaker distort in a harmonious way. :)

-Dave-